User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Thread: Extreme empaths

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

i don't know if it's because of N/S preference, but i've noticed (seems to me) that a couple of my S friends can definitely empathize better with events they've previously experienced themselves.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lohengrin View Post
    Methinks Fi users will dominate this thread.
    No.

The empathy being described is a physical response, much like fear. It is not a value. It is not concerned with morality.

It is neither Fi nor Fe.

Phantonym

I'm not so sure about correlation with type either. Some people just are more susceptible to such things.

I do experience it but I don't think it's anything extreme. It happens with fiction, listening to music, moreso with documentaries, real-life stories, watching or reading news, personal encounters, things like that. Emotional and physical pain. But it doesn't happen all the time. It definitely depends greatly on my involvement, whether I enter the kind of state of mind where it affects me to such a degree.

I do get a strong physical reaction, it's like a sudden intense sensation alike getting goosebumps, knots in the stomach and pressure in my ears and temples. It's just a general uneasy feeling of helplessness because there's nothing I can do about it but observe.

I can watch horror movies and whatever, I don't consciously avoid feeling so empathetic and I don't go out of my way to seek it out either but it does have quite a strong impact on me. I don't consider it as something negative, rather it's a way to learn from other people's experiences.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Drama queens.

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    Drama queens.
    Waaaahh...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

You know I love you!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Interesting article aj. I experience pretty strong empathy..I have the oddest reaction to watching drug use in movies..makes me literally sick to see someone use needles..I feel like I feel exactly how they're feeling..and the same with heartbreakingly sad movies and I can't watch realistic horror flicks...but in other ways being empathetic is really helpful with realting to people quickly..like at work..I can pick up on how people feel and then I know how to act towards them to get them to loosen up and relax.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I get pain coming out of the palms of my hands so I open my hands up and rub the palms of them against the arm of my chair, my heart beats faster, I unconsciously hold my breath, and every time somebody gets punched or slapped in the movie, I gasp or shriek, and it's involuntary. I still remember the first violent thing I ever saw, at a drive-in movie with my parents when I couldn't have been more than 6 or so. It still makes me sick. I also pick up on people's stuff. It makes it hard to be around people who won't talk about what's going on in their lives, because I pick up the anger or sadness and it makes me tired but I don't know why, don't find out until later. If it's emotional pain, I get pain around my heart and/or in the pit of my stomach.

Empaths and Narcissism

We perceive by making distinctions. And the more distinctions, the more we see. And the less distinctions the less we see.

The Ancient Greeks made the distinction between sympathy and empathy where sympathy means to feel the same as while empathy means to feel with.

But today we seem to have lost this distinction and elide empathy with sympathy.

In part this is because of social pressure towards narcissism. Narcissism is inculcated in consumers to increase profits. And this has the effect of infantilising consumers. This is seductive and it works.

However narcissism keeps us in the role of infants and inhibits us from growing up and taking responsibility for ourselves.

So narcissism limits us and limits our perceptions. And in particular limits our perceptions by blinding us to the distinction between sympathy and empathy.

This is tragic because professional carers such as nurses, counsellors and teachers are at the mercy of their own feelings, just as infants are.

But to grow up in an infantilising society is difficult and requires organised and systematic practice.

But organised and systematic practice is something only a grown up can do, it is beyond an infant or a narcissistic adult.

So we have Catch 22 and there seems no way out.

And when we are trapped, we fetishise our situation. In other words we make our disability into a virtue.

And so we call a narcissist an empath.

This psychological deception is wide spread and the word 'empath' is now a buzz word. Just what we would expect if it were due to larger social pressures.

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

that was an interesting post victor. i also feel that in the modern western world there is a growth in narcissism... it profits the system. there are so many sad people around who are feeding their wants and suppressing their needs. it is hard for a thinking, feeling individual to live in a society, which sort of "forces" us to think that things that aren't important, should be... i often feel like there's this pressure to believe that we aren't capable... that we need this and that to function and that fleeting pleasures are the only thing we should be seeking. i am sad that there seems to be this decrease in valuing life. everything is only to be enjoyed and to superficially feed our infantile egos... it's like we are pressured to find our little place and stay there, but not to question, not to really take part, not to grow... i don't know if i'm seeing this objectively at all, but i feel like there's an imbalance.