User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Thread: Extreme empaths

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by xNTP View Post
    It might be type related, but not in the sense that type causes extreme empathy, but that having extreme empathy (emotional, physical) can earn you bonus points in one of the cognitive functions. I think extraverted feeling would be the most likely candidate. But introverted feeling seems like it plays a role too, at least in the stuff I'm talking about.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    lol, good post.

How about the Britannica Concise Encyclopedia? It defines it the same way.
    I think Aphrodite-Gone-Awry has settled this matter in -

Sympathy:

Etymology: Latin sympathia, from Greek sympatheia, from sympath?s having common feelings, sympathetic, from syn- + pathos feelings, emotion, experience — more at pathos
    Date: 1579
    1 a : an affinity, association, or relationship between persons or things wherein whatever affects one similarly affects the other b : mutual or parallel susceptibility or a condition brought about by it c : unity or harmony in action or effect <every part is in complete sympathy with the scheme as a whole — Edwin Benson>
    2 a : inclination to think or feel alike : emotional or intellectual accord <in sympathy with their goals> b : feeling of loyalty : tendency to favor or support <republican sympathies>
    3 a : the act or capacity of entering into or sharing the feelings or interests of another b : the feeling or mental state brought about by such sensitivity <have sympathy for the poor>
    4 : the correlation existing between bodies capable of communicating their vibrational energy to one another through some medium
    synonyms see attraction, pity

Empathy:

Etymology: Greek empatheia, literally, passion, from empath?s emotional, from em- + pathos feelings, emotion — more at pathos
    Date: 1850
    1 : the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it
    2 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this.

its not the job of a dictionary to explain the underlying reality of a word. if you do not understand sympathy, you cant blame it on your dictionary. and if a whole country does not understand sympathy: that has nothing to do with the meaning of the world. you don't have authority to define the meaning of a (international) word, if you do not understand, what it is pointing to. you know, some words point to something real. reality wont be converted into fiction (aka theory), just because false (or incomplete) understanding becomes frequently associated with a word. also the meaning of a word is defined in the brain, whenever a word is concerned with a process in the realm of the human psyche. if your dictionary tells you, that god is an invention, your brain will still treat the word differently.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I think Aphrodite has settled this matter in -
    Even in this definition, empathy is still really the one that's more about "vicariously experiencing the feelings". In this definition of sympathy, it's more about harmony and agreement of feeling than feeling the same thing vicariously. But similar feeling.

So going by the definition you provided, what you said here

Yes, empathy is knowing what someone is feeling without feeling it yourself.

While sympathy is feeling what the other is feeling.
    is still really wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by nanook View Post
    its not the job of a dictionary to explain the underlying reality of a word. if you do not understand sympathy, you cant blame it on your dictionary. and if a whole country does not understand sympathy: that has nothing to do with the meaning of the world. you don't have authority to define the meaning of a (international) word, if you do not understand, what it is pointing to. you know, some words point to something real.
    Quite so.

Even in this definition, empathy is still really the one that's more about "vicariously experiencing the feelings". In this definition of sympathy, it's more about harmony and agreement of feeling than feeling the same thing vicariously. But similar feeling.

So going by the definition you provided, what you said here

is still really wrong.
    I think you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

And arguing for the sake of arguing is tedious.

And it is tedious because arguing or debating for the sake of it is a defence mechanism.

So rather than arguing and debating you would be far better finding out what you are defending against.

MBTI
    INTP

I think you are arguing for the sake of arguing.

And arguing for the sake of arguing is tedious.

And it is tedious because arguing or debating for the sake of it is a defence mechanism.

So rather than arguing and debating you would be far better finding out what you are defending against.
    You do this as well, maybe even more than I.

edit: still though, you should have admitted you were wrong pages ago.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Maybe it would be helpful for the sake of discussion to construe "empathy" as it is used in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Perhaps, perhaps not. Playing devil's advocate here; please excuse my fuzzy T, but looking to evolutionary psychology, wouldn't it make sense that instead of a 'disorder' that it might be argued that 'extreme empathy' is a protective mechanism? If anything, extreme empathy might likely keep one from fraternizing with very much that is odd, because to be around much that is odd or abnormal is to feel extremely uncomfortable. Extremely odd or abnormal situations that one would avoid due to extreme empathy are situations that are charged with antisocial behavior, or are resultant from it, for the most part. If I'm avoiding antisocial behavior, I'm probably going to be safer, no? Hence, empathy in this context could be construed as an evolved trait of survival, instead of a disorder. Perhaps not in the median range, for sure, but perhaps moving toward this?

Stretching now: If we were all more empathic, would we have some sort of influence on antisocial behavior in a negatively correlated way> Might discourage antisocial behaviors which would lead to more harmonious environments.
    The bold is actually really different from how these physical sensations (aka known as something which might be called empathy) make me feel. I dont seek them or seek to avoid them. Instead I stumble across them. When I find them I dont feel I need to avoid them-instead I feel extremely bound to help the other person. The more alone they are the more I mirror that feeling of alone and seek to help them.

I think whatever it is that Fi does may be a mandate for helping the weakest member of society-the one that falls through the social safety net.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

There are other INTXs I know who have this too. The physical state thing I'm thinking could be felt by all INs potentially, and ISs.
    What is the connection with introversion?
    I know plenty of empathic extroverts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.