failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I've got the definitions right mate. And they have been right for three thousand years since the Ancient Greeks invented them.

You are repeating a popular misconception.
    Do we need to do this? Seriously? Most everyone I know switches what you said around and considers sympathy/empathy according to the opposite of what you said. Are you trying to take on Mr Webster now, Victor?

Fuck me. You're right.

just looked it up:

sympathy:

Etymology: Latin sympathia, from Greek sympatheia, from sympath?s having common feelings, sympathetic, from syn- + pathos feelings, emotion, experience — more at pathos
    Date: 1579
    1 a : an affinity, association, or relationship between persons or things wherein whatever affects one similarly affects the other b : mutual or parallel susceptibility or a condition brought about by it c : unity or harmony in action or effect <every part is in complete sympathy with the scheme as a whole — Edwin Benson>
    2 a : inclination to think or feel alike : emotional or intellectual accord <in sympathy with their goals> b : feeling of loyalty : tendency to favor or support <republican sympathies>
    3 a : the act or capacity of entering into or sharing the feelings or interests of another b : the feeling or mental state brought about by such sensitivity <have sympathy for the poor>
    4 : the correlation existing between bodies capable of communicating their vibrational energy to one another through some medium
    synonyms see attraction, pity

empathy:

Etymology: Greek empatheia, literally, passion, from empath?s emotional, from em- + pathos feelings, emotion — more at pathos
    Date: 1850
    1 : the imaginative projection of a subjective state into an object so that the object appears to be infused with it
    2 : the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner; also : the capacity for this
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTP

Victor is playing his game. Appreciate it thusly.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Nabbed from the internets:

Synonyms for Sympathy:

—Synonyms
    1. concord, understanding, rapport, affinity. Sympathy, compassion, pity, empathy all denote the tendency, practice, or capacity to share in the feelings of others, especially their distress, sorrow, or unfulfilled desires.

Sympathy is the broadest of these terms, signifying a general kinship with another's feelings, no matter of what kind: in sympathy with her yearning for peace and freedom; to extend sympathy to the bereaved. Compassion implies a deep sympathy for the sorrows or troubles of another coupled to a powerful urge to alleviate the pain or distress or to remove its source: to show compassion for homeless refugees. Pity usually suggests a kindly, but sometimes condescending, sorrow aroused by the suffering or ill fortune of others, often leading to a show of mercy: tears of pity for war casualties; to have pity on a thief driven by hunger. Empathy most often refers to a vicarious participation in the emotions, ideas, or opinions of others, the ability to imagine oneself in the condition or predicament of another: empathy with those striving to improve their lives; to feel empathy with Hamlet as one watches the play.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Fuck me. You're right.
    The interesting question now is - why is there this popular misconception?

And the answer is because you live in a country where the very language has been deracinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Victor is playing his game. Appreciate it thusly.
    It is far better to assume I am acting in good faith.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

From Webster's:

Empathy The ability to co-experience and relate to the thoughts, emotions, or experience of another without them being communicated directly by the individual

Sympathy The ability to understand and to support the emotional situation or experience of another being with compassion and sensitivity

Now... you wanna fuck with Webster? then yur fuckin with me.

ridiculous. apparently concrete thinking reduces comprehension.
    monkeys with a dictionary.

"Sympathy The ability to understand and to support the emotional situation or experience of another being with compassion and sensitivity."

the question is, where is that ability to understand coming from. from own "non- fleeting*" experience. from being similar to the other person. that's why sympathy is "non- fleeting concern for the other person". *see wikipedia. if you are similar, you will remain similar, for quite a while.

the "understanding" is not coming from synthetic (virtual) co-experience, which is created while reacting to a situation, that is not your own, and from the viewpoint of a personality, that is not your own. that would be empathy. and empathy is fleeting. it's also repeatedly instantaneously available.

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    From Webster's:

Empathy The ability to co-experience and relate to the thoughts, emotions, or experience of another without them being communicated directly by the individual

Sympathy The ability to understand and to support the emotional situation or experience of another being with compassion and sensitivity

Now... you wanna fuck with Webster? then yur fuckin with me.
    Noah Webster was a revolutionary who deliberately set out to cut American English off from its roots.

Noah was enormously successful in the USA and has left you deracinated.

And it is your deracination that has cut you off from the meaning of sympathy and empathy.

Frankly, this is why you make fools of yourself all the time. Such as your very own President George W. Bush who said, "The French don't even have a word for entrepreneur".

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The people in the OP are interesting and I wonder if they also feel people's emotions when seeing them. "Empaths" are people who feel other people's emotions when they're around them. I did some research on it a while back because I do this too to some degree. When I'm talking to someone or watching them or even reading their posts I can sense their mood and tension, usually physical. Sometimes I can actually feel it myself, other times I just know it. In the handful of times I've divulged my observations, people have agreed that that's what they were feeling, both emotionally and physically, but obviously a handful of times isn't enough to make a reliable assessment. I think it's a combination of being sensitive to body language cues (especially it's subtle forms like speech tone, speech rhythm, pace of physical movements, and gaze, which are usually overlooked) and mirror neuron sensitivity -- seeing details, mimicking them internally, and then seeing what emotional state and physical state it produces in you.

It might be type related, but not in the sense that type causes extreme empathy, but that having extreme empathy (emotional, physical) can earn you bonus points in one of the cognitive functions. I think extraverted feeling would be the most likely candidate. But introverted feeling seems like it plays a role too, at least in the stuff I'm talking about.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Noah Webster was a revolutionary who deliberately set out to cut American English off from its roots.

Noah was enormously successful in the USA and has left you deracinated.

And it is your deracination that has cut you off from the meaning of sympathy and empathy.

Frankly, this is why you make fools of yourself all the time. Such as your very own President George W. Bush who said, "The French don't even have a word for entrepreneur".
    lol, good post.

How about the Britannica Concise Encyclopedia? It defines it the same way.