• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Perceiving Dichotomy and Perception Disorders

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I suffer from migraines.

According to the wiki article you linked this is what is thought to be the cause of migraines:
"Migraine was once thought to be initiated by problems with blood vessels. This theory is now largely discredited.[17] Current thinking is that a phenomenon known as cortical spreading depression is responsible for the disorder.[18] In cortical spreading depression, neurological activity is depressed over an area of the cortex of the brain. This situation results in the release of inflammatory mediators leading to irritation of cranial nerve roots, most particularly the trigeminal nerve, which conveys the sensory information for the face and much of the head."
bolds mine

It doesn't seem to me to be related to the fact that I'm an N.
Also my mother is an S and she used to get migraines.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
Synesthesia is a disorder? I always thought it was a very cool alternate way of seeing the Universe. I know an IT guy who sees the days of the week in color (not spelled in color, they just ARE in color, eg Wednesdays are navy blue). He's definitely NT.

Jae Rae

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Yes -- what Jae Rae refers to is chromagraphemia. I have it. Months, days of the week, letters and numbers all have corresponding colors. Even sound frequencies.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
That sounds really cool. Does it cause a problem?

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes -- what Jae Rae refers to is chromagraphemia. I have it. Months, days of the week, letters and numbers all have corresponding colors. Even sound frequencies.

*curious. Wonders if htb will satisfy some of it*

September?

A E?

9?

I see people as colours and/or animals, but I think that's just an overactive imagination.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I have APD, SID, and Migraine. I have also the number form Synesthesia. My grandfather had it also.
I am 100 per cent N.

Nabokov had Synesthesia, too. Another variant, though.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
From what I've gathered, I may have some Sensory Modulation Disorders, perhaps mild migraines, but nothing more severe than that.

Anyway, htb... those colors were interesting. If I think of a color to associate with A or E, those are the ones that usually come to mind. But I don't actually see them as having a color. I have another question for you... what happens if you see a sentence written in Blue (or any other color) letters? Can you see the color it's actually written in as well as the color you believe it is intrinsically?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Colors have tastes and physical sensations. Sounds can have tastes or colors. Same with words. I notice this when I'm experiencing a higher than normal level of limbic disturbance. It's not always there though.

We have all manner of hard-wiring quirks in my family.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I have another question for you... what happens if you see a sentence written in Blue (or any other color) letters? Can you see the color it's actually written in as well as the color you believe it is intrinsically?
The effect is passive, in that I perceive the local color first but, with slight concentration, can see the associated color behind it. Words tend to be dominated by their respective first letters. A perfect example -- I just stepped back and thought about the words "associated" and "color," then saw scarlet and royal blue.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
The effect is passive, in that I perceive the local color first but, with slight concentration, can see the associated color behind it. Words tend to be dominated by their respective first letters. A perfect example -- I just stepped back and thought about the words "associated" and "color," then saw scarlet and royal blue.

* Thanks for giving me the colours earlier.

The same colour exists for each letter, and the font or case does not change it?

I'm wondering would this test be more difficult for you/wildcat/pink, or is this something like what you experience?

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/other-psychology-topics/3272-aelans-weird-random-tests.html

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I see words/letters as colors, but I don't have the taste/physical sensation. I always attributed it to being extremely visual spatial (I actually test very disproportionately visual spatial on learning style tests - I am not auditory or hands on much at all). When I read, I am watching a movie in my head. Every word & number is a color picture.

I have no hand preference, which I guess makes me ambidextrous. I can use both hands for all activities equally without any sort of discomfort with one over another.

I have had severe migraines & unexplained dizzy spells throughout childhood & had to see a neurologist on a regular basis. Now they've subsided a bit, but I still get migraines & dizzy spells on occasion.

I usually test highest with my N, up around 95%.

I had brain damage during child birth & was a "miracle" baby. I had a high chance of cerebral palsy after surviving my birth. Turns out, I developed normally but these weird quirky brain things have been attributed to minor brain damage (at least the migraines, dizzy spells, & lack of handedness preference).

heykitten

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not sure if it a variant of Synesthesia or my own visual quirk/or as wiki puts it 'cross-sensory metaphor' but often I visualise people with a certain shade of colour in my memory, not to be associated with the physical attribute of visualising a person's aura. But often the involuntary association of a shade beside the person.

e.g. Nabokov is a shimmer of metallic lime green submerged in an overtone of sepia maple-syrup brown.

Mostly, I think I just happen to be a very visual person.