• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eye contact

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Not an issue unless you have a time machine.

what kind of time machine are we talking here?

HG Wells
time_machine2.jpg

Terminator
timetravel.jpg

Roor
roor_white_custom_dealerscup.jpg.jpg

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Many Fi users will make very little eye contact.

I think this is mostly true for me - although more accurately I tend to make little to no eye contact coupled with occasional glances towards the person's face. The latter sometimes creates a vulnerability on both ends that isn't always appropriate between two complete strangers, which is where my problem comes in.

I've been told repeatedly that I make people feel uncomfortable when I make eye contact with them, so I usually try to avoid it - unless of course I'm trying to convey to someone how much something matters to me or to show someone how genuine I am about something. I can't really make eye contact with someone for a period of time, even if brief, without it feeling intimate.

For instance, I was talking to a [male STJ] friend of mine the other day. I can typically hold an entire conversation without looking at the other person, or people, involved. I just look at my hands, or at the ceiling, or fix my eyes in one place, similar to what I do when I'm thinking. I don't have to make eye contact. But, whenever I look him directly in the eyes once I want to show him that I'm truly paying attention to whatever he has to say, he starts squirming and fidgeting. It's not my intention to make him uncomfortable. I just want him to know, through eye contact, that I'm listening to him and what he has to say. Also, to clarify, he doesn't have any interest in me [he has a girlfriend], and I don't have any interest in him, so that isn't the cause of his discomfort. I just make eye contact with the intent to look into souls is all. :D

I guess I'll just have to try harder!

Sheesh, have you no mercy for the visually impaired?

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
i can't make eye contact with people when i do i know immediately they're not comfortable so i've developed a bit of an obsession with observing how other people do it so normally.