User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: Eye contact

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I got eyes that will gaze into your mind and rip out yer soul.

maybe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

There's a line between eye contact and staring... if someone isn't making eye contact with me while I'm speaking, I feel as if I'm boring them and they're not really paying attention. But if they're staring without glancing away once in a while, I'll start to feel uncomfortable.
    I like when people give me eye contact while they're speaking, too. They're making a conscious effort to include you, and it's nice.

Thinking about eye contact makes me want to sigh. If I look at someone in the eyes I tend to space out and stare at there eyes, but if I engage there words in a more thoughtful manner I end up not looking at them much. Then there is also the fact that when someone looks away I tend to look at them and when they look at me I have an instinct to want to look away. Sometimes I will just walk around staring at people though anyway and I have noticed people read the aggressive instinct of it and will often not approach me; I tend to do this when I know an extroverted type is going to ask me to do something and they will, more often than not, not approach me. It's quite effective, but I'm probably coming off as a bit angry and scary at the same time even though it is just an act.

When people make eye contact and communicate, do they usually try to read the other person to figure out what to say and how to act and show expressions?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

It's understandable that some feel distrust with a lack of eye contact. Ironically, I have to really trust in order to make eye contact. I guess eyes share a lot of information, and I like to remain a private person when I am doing the talking and while still being polite. I'll look into other people's eyes while I'm processing what they're saying, but have realized that they stop and look at me act all uncomfortable. hmmmmm

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

The only times I have problems maintaining more or less direct eye contact are when I'm deep into an explanation (and my mind has checked out of the physical world), when I'm trying to listen closely (and my mind has checked out of the physical world), or when the other person makes me feel embarrassed (for myself or for them.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Lol, to be clear, I'm not going around just staring down people. But, when I do make eye contact, I tend to hold the contact for a longer time than many.
    I probably do the same thing, although I never thought about it. I do know an ISFJ who NEVER looks you in the eye because she's uncomfortable. I find myself fighting the urge to get down on one knee and look into her eyes as one does a small child. I always wonder what she's hiding from me.

Conversely, I have another friend (quite possibly an ESFJ?) who always stares at my forehead. I find myself wondering what she's thinking about or running my hand through my hair to find out if there's something in it while we talk.

I find both practices somewhat unnerving and uncomfortable. And tend to view the speakers as unconfident. Although I like both women, I noticed I tend to subconciously view them as subordinates because of their actions. Even though both have served in positions above me at times.

Most men however seem to look me directly in the eye and it has never seemed intimidating.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I make eye contact because if someone is speaking to me, I'm sure they'd like to know I'm actually listening. If I get any kind of "look me over" up and down thing, we IMMEDIATELY have a problem. Male or female, I'll get rather hostile. I don't advise the stare down either.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I always make a lot of eyecontact when I'm talking to someone, except when I'm talking to someone I don't take seriously, but I behave differently towards them anyways. I hate it when other people don't make eyecontact during a conversation, because then it's like they don't want contact at all. I also don't like people who make too much eye contact, because they always make me feel like they want to hypnotize me or something, especially when they're also talking monotonously and when they make no movement with their hands either.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I don't like eye contact at all, it makes me feel dizzy and a bit sick. Hard to explain, but it's it's like looking through something but into nothing. Maybe like a bottomless pit.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

Glycerine

I have an INTENSE stare. I think I unnerve a lot of folks (including teachers). I won't even realize I'm staring and the person will say "hi".