User Tag List

First 12

That's my name biotch! JoSunshine's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNfj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Do you think that people are generally becoming more selfish, narcissistic, etc than they were in past generations?
    I strongly believe the answer to this question to be yes. It strikes me that a large number of people not only want but feel entitled to things they have neither worked for or can offer others. Example: Regular looking guy with a descent job but not rich with a so-so personality and of average intellegence feels he DESERVES a brilliant, super-model who is a great house-keeper and has a great sense of humor and an awsome personality. Why? Because he has a warped perception of himself due to culteral and societal influances.

Here is a pretty good article/interview about it:
    The Narcissism Epidemic – by Joel Pitney
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. " - Dr. Seuss
    I can't spell...get over it

Slightly ENFJ, totally JoSunshine
    Extroverted (E) 52.5%........Introverted (I) 47.5%
    Intuitive (N) 65.63%..........Sensing (S) 34.38%
    Feeling (F) 55.56%............Thinking (T) 44.44%
    Judging (J) 51.43%............Perceiving (P) 48.57%

MBTI
    INFP

In the United States, at least, there is a grotesque me-first attitude that one cannot escape. You see it on a small scale, like when you get in your car to see how aggressively and dangerously people drive or when you walk your dog and see shit that hasn't been picked up. You see it on a large scale, like when the economy has gone to shit because of the greed of the people in charge. Excessive selfishness permeates every aspect of American culture and makes my mind sigh in exhaustion at what else destruction it must observe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Words as "goody two-shoes" (I hope translation is correct, I looked up at online dictionary for "Gutmensch" in german) are actually meant as an insult in our society. One doesn't have to think far to see that it goes in that way as the OP says.

Question for me is, were people like that all the time but just now they can live in that "luxury" (as ajblaise says in my opinion correctly) in contrast to the past, or is it just a consequence of permanent manipulation of mass media, politics and / or todays capitalism.

People get teached from little age already that if you want not to end up like a total fail in your life, you always have to use your elbows against the others and be one of the best, or you end up as one of the ones without a job or a job paid with a wage which doesn't even suffice for living (1 per hour is reality here already in Germany), and gets increased by social payings, which seems equivalent to the meaning you aren't worth any more. On the same time mass media seems to suggest that materialism is the ultimate good one has to achieve.

Politics and mass media encourage this behavior everywhere, so it is no wonder many people act more selfish (id est more selfish than would be necessary). There is just the question wether this is the real cause or it is actually human nature which most people cannot / do not want to overcome, and so politics and mass media is just a mirror of human nature. More easily to describe with the problem of Chicken or egg being first.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

How do you differentiate between being selfish and being inconsiderate? Some dictionaries consider them synonyms...
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

I think so yes.. depending on where we live. From where I'm from, definitely. Much of the trend stems from the show "Laguna Beach."

That's why I question certain aspects of society, and why we're taught to think a certain way, because a lot of it's based on the premises of certain societal values that have great influence on individual, personal lives.

I also question certain aspects of psychology, since it's also sociopolitically related. For instance, one of the famous psychologists who publishes his books on self-esteem, Nathaniel Branden, who graduated with a Ph.d. from an unaccreditted program, was a major Objectivist party leader, a close (fbuddy) friend of Ayn Rand. Most of his philosophy stems from the idea that human beings are innately selfish and that we shouldn't feel guilty for being that way.. That's a value that I see isn't as growth promoting for society, if we're talking about people working together collectively for a happier tomorrow.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by kiddykat View Post
    I think so yes.. depending on where we live. From where I'm from, definitely. Much of the trend stems from the show "Laguna Beach."
    I think the popularity of the show Laguna Beach was due to a demand for it. The culture that worshipped what Laguna Beach put on display was already there.