User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    What an interesting comment coming from an alleged "social worker."
    Quite. Very interesting. But here's something that is not hypothetical...

Northern Ireland Social Care Council: Codes of Practice for Social Care Workers and Employers of Social Care Workers
    1.5 Promoting equal opportunities for service users and carers;

1.6 Respecting diversity and different cultures and values

5.8 Behave in a way, in work or outside work, which would call into question your suitability to work in social care services.
    Source: http://www.niscc.info/content/upload...f_Practice.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

I work in social services...

I'll be honest with you, if my brother was homosexual he'd not be invited if he had a partner with him, not to my house or I suspect my parents house...

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Quite. Very interesting. But here's something that is not hypothetical...
    Northern Ireland Social Care Council: Codes of Practice for Social Care Workers and Employers of Social Care Workers

I wonder what the Social Care Council thinks of homophobia.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I wonder what the Social Care Council thinks of homophobia.
    Or this...

My work is a waste of time and I carry a lot of losers who dont deserve it but it pays. Wish I could win the lottery.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    My work is a waste of time and I carry a lot of losers who dont deserve it but it pays. Wish I could win the lottery.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lark
    I work in social services...

I'll be honest with you, if my brother was homosexual he'd not be invited if he had a partner with him, not to my house or I suspect my parents house...

I think I just lost a little faith in humanity.
    Why in the world would you pick a low-paying career in Social Services if you hate people? Use some financial wisdom and go into politics or something...at least people expect bigotry from them!

~*79% Extraverted*~
    ~*74% iNtuition*~
    ~*74% Feeling*~
    ~*58% Judging*~

Enneagram Type: SX 3w2

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Or this...
    What kind of attitude is that coming from a Social Worker?
    Ridiculous.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by xNTP View Post
    But if you do believe they have a medical condition and feel sympathy for them, wouldn't you hesitate about giving them a drug that will further their addiction? In your post you suggest that if they buy better booze, that's a good outcome. I'm not so sure I agree that that outcome is an expression of sympathy.
    Please. Of course it's a good outcome. If the guy is an alcoholic he's going to drink until he dies. The money I give him won't make a jot of difference, except for the fact that it'll buy him some better quality booze for a little while. It won't change his life expectancy, or his chances of getting off the street. Only he can do that. My sympathy for him is worth nothing unless he decides for himself to do something about his condition.

If he had any family, I'd consider giving the money to them in the hopes that they would use it to take care of him. I don't think I'd refer him to a social worker though... I hear social workers are a bunch of fakes.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
    Please. Of course it's a good outcome. If the guy is an alcoholic he's going to drink until he dies. The money I give him won't make a jot of difference, except for the fact that it'll buy him some better quality booze for a little while. It won't change his life expectancy, or his chances of getting off the street. Only he can do that. My sympathy for him is worth nothing unless he decides for himself to do something about his condition.

Yeah, i think your one of the good guys here, i didn't mean to offend you in my post, i was arguing with assumption rather than you personally. Also i think your response was fairly light hearted and not meant to be taken as gospel.

If he had any family, I'd consider giving the money to them in the hopes that they would use it to take care of him. I don't think I'd refer him to a social worker though... I hear social workers are a bunch of fakes.
    Well there is certainly one social worker here who is a complete fake. My skin crawls when i think of this person having responsibility for the welfare of people less able to take care of themselves. Something really should be done about it. Seriously.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ISTP

GemPop, your social conscience does you credit.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Marcia View Post
    Please. Of course it's a good outcome. If the guy is an alcoholic he's going to drink until he dies.
    So I take it the words "rehab" and "recovering" are not in your vocabulary?

The money I give him won't make a jot of difference, except for the fact that it'll buy him some better quality booze for a little while. It won't change his life expectancy, or his chances of getting off the street.
    This is like saying "my vote doesn't count because the winner will win by millions of votes." If everyone bands together and pays attention to how their behavior and decisions affect others, then they do make a difference.

Only he can do that. My sympathy for him is worth nothing unless he decides for himself to do something about his condition.
    I disagree for the above reason. I'm curious, though, if your sympathy is worthless to him, what's the point?

Social-worker stereotypes aside, the other solution is to just buy him food instead of giving him money.

MBTI
    ISTP

So I take it the words "rehab" and "recovering" are not in your vocabulary?
    They are; I believe I used the term "rehab facility" in my earlier post. Perhaps in your haste to antagonize me, you didn't read it properly.

This is like saying "my vote doesn't count because the winner will win by millions of votes." If everyone bands together and pays attention to how their behavior and decisions affect others, then they do make a difference.
    The original question had nothing to do with banding together. It was about the actions of one person.

I'm curious, though, if your sympathy is worthless to him, what's the point?
    None that I know of.

Social-worker stereotypes aside, the other solution is to just buy him food instead of giving him money.
    Yes, you could do that too. It would be just as inconsequential.