User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    inxj

Default need advice pleeeeeze

i'm a third year psych major.....recently I met someone who has turned my life around, he is the only thing i feel passionate about really, i've lost the passion to study and finish my degree, i just have no yearning for it. i LOVE to study and learn, but not psychology anymore....i think the system is so flawed and corrupt, it leaves me with bitterness.
    My new passion is religion and well loving my boyfriend, learning how to love myself, which i never knew how to do before....

So yeah...the question is, should I do what my dad has asked of me and finish my degree???

In all honesty, I would go with finishing your degree. You will have it forever.
    Things in life concerning people can change very rapidly, a degree is always there.

Good luck.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Enneagram
    inxj

Quote Originally Posted by Lux View Post
    In all honesty, I would go with finishing your degree. You will have it forever.
    Things in life concerning people can change very rapidly, a degree is always there.

Good luck.
    yeah...you might be onto something.

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

@ Kafkacat: Plus, you might be able to use your psych degree in a religious setting after you graduate, getting the best of both worlds, at least for you.

What corruption and frustrations are you talking about though? And you your boyfriend and new religious priorities share a correlation?

@ Lux: "Kraken down on piracy"

That is hilarious. Thank you, you made my day.
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.” -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

Enneagram
    inxj

Well I'm candian and have seen the mental health system through years of volunteering and other ways of being involved, and well being in a large city like toronto i see how impersonal the proffessionals can be, how some just hussle people along without really putting the devotion and effort into really helping people, it really bothers me.

My boyfriend has been religouse in the past but gave it up, and lately i've expressed a keen interest in religouse life, and because of his religouse upbringing he is fairly knowlegable in the area, and a wonderful teacher. And I'm just consumed by it, because i i grew up from a family of intellectuals where religion wasn't a prority, but well i'm seeing that it is the way of life i would love to incorporate.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

I would try to finish your degree.

When I was in school, my roommate went through something a bit like what you're describing. This roommate was a history major, and one day announced to me that knowledge for its own sake was no longer interesting. My friend stopped going to classes and flunked out.

If you really don't want to do psych any more, maybe there's another course of study that appeals to you? Do you have an advisor of some sort with whom you could meet? Have you discussed this with your boyfriend? What does he think of your dropping out?

You could also try getting involved with your university's religious community if you haven't done that already. You should certainly be able to find other things that make being in school enjoyable while you're finishing your degree. ChildoftheProphets is right that a psych degree can be helpful if you do get involved in religious work after school.

Enneagram
    inxj

Thank you i really apreciate your imput, and that might be a wonderful sollution, to get more religiously involved at my university, I usually do my religiouse study alone at home reading text on the subject. But this will be a healthier sollution by far, it will get me out of my introverted shell, at least a little.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

follow your bliss, girl!

don't pursue something you have doubts about. if this guy is important to you, then run with it. and love yourself in the meantime.

don't let other people's expectations and hopes restrain you from living your life as an individual and never ever let anyone hold you back from doing things you love.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Senior Member ChildoftheProphets's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

Ha, your description of some of those professionals reminds me of the movie Patch Addams, as well a negative personal experience I had, ironically with another doctor named Addams. Hopefully you can use some of your newfound spiritual fervor to make some real impact on people's lives, all the while using your specialized training. That may be your gift.

And good luck with the religious community; I had the opposite course in my life--I grew up among the religious and eventually became an outcast atheist.

I regained faith a year later, but things were never quite the same after that. I need to integrate myself too, again. What IS your boyfriend's opinion on all this?
    "In the opening and shutting of heaven's gate, are you able to play the feminine part?" -- Lao Tzu

"For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks - not that you won or lost -
    But how you played the Game."
    -- Grantland Rice

“Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.” -- from The Catcher in the Rye

"The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do, and what a man can't do." -- Jack Sparrow

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

My advice? Change your major and finish college!
    Consumption with an amazing person and the things that interest them is absolutely amazing!
    But it dies down or dies forever, and, ultimately, it doesn't pay the bills or give you any autonomy.
    I majored in psychology, and 90% of the friends I made who did the same decided they had no interest in pursuing grad school, and that severely limits job opportunities, as I'm sure you know. So, if you aren't passionate about the subject in and of itself, I wouldn't recommend putting your time, money, and energy into it.
    But I do recommend you finish your education in a career directed way so you can have the luxury of leisure to study whatever suits your fancy!

~*79% Extraverted*~
    ~*74% iNtuition*~
    ~*74% Feeling*~
    ~*58% Judging*~

Enneagram Type: SX 3w2