• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

need advice pleeeeeze

kafkacat

Enneagram
inxj
i'm a third year psych major.....recently I met someone who has turned my life around, he is the only thing i feel passionate about really, i've lost the passion to study and finish my degree, i just have no yearning for it. i LOVE to study and learn, but not psychology anymore....i think the system is so flawed and corrupt, it leaves me with bitterness.
My new passion is religion and well loving my boyfriend, learning how to love myself, which i never knew how to do before....

So yeah...the question is, should I do what my dad has asked of me and finish my degree???

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
In all honesty, I would go with finishing your degree. You will have it forever.
Things in life concerning people can change very rapidly, a degree is always there.

Good luck. :)

kafkacat

Enneagram
inxj
In all honesty, I would go with finishing your degree. You will have it forever.
Things in life concerning people can change very rapidly, a degree is always there.

Good luck. :)

yeah...you might be onto something.

ChildoftheProphets

MBTI Type
INFP
@ Kafkacat: Plus, you might be able to use your psych degree in a religious setting after you graduate, getting the best of both worlds, at least for you.

What corruption and frustrations are you talking about though? And you your boyfriend and new religious priorities share a correlation?

@ Lux: "Kraken down on piracy"

That is hilarious. Thank you, you made my day.

kafkacat

Enneagram
inxj
Well I'm candian and have seen the mental health system through years of volunteering and other ways of being involved, and well being in a large city like toronto i see how impersonal the proffessionals can be, how some just hussle people along without really putting the devotion and effort into really helping people, it really bothers me.

My boyfriend has been religouse in the past but gave it up, and lately i've expressed a keen interest in religouse life, and because of his religouse upbringing he is fairly knowlegable in the area, and a wonderful teacher. And I'm just consumed by it, because i i grew up from a family of intellectuals where religion wasn't a prority, but well i'm seeing that it is the way of life i would love to incorporate.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I would try to finish your degree.

When I was in school, my roommate went through something a bit like what you're describing. This roommate was a history major, and one day announced to me that knowledge for its own sake was no longer interesting. My friend stopped going to classes and flunked out.

If you really don't want to do psych any more, maybe there's another course of study that appeals to you? Do you have an advisor of some sort with whom you could meet? Have you discussed this with your boyfriend? What does he think of your dropping out?

You could also try getting involved with your university's religious community if you haven't done that already. You should certainly be able to find other things that make being in school enjoyable while you're finishing your degree. ChildoftheProphets is right that a psych degree can be helpful if you do get involved in religious work after school.

kafkacat

Enneagram
inxj
Thank you i really apreciate your imput, and that might be a wonderful sollution, to get more religiously involved at my university, I usually do my religiouse study alone at home reading text on the subject. But this will be a healthier sollution by far, it will get me out of my introverted shell, at least a little.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
follow your bliss, girl!

don't pursue something you have doubts about. if this guy is important to you, then run with it. and love yourself in the meantime.

don't let other people's expectations and hopes restrain you from living your life as an individual and never ever let anyone hold you back from doing things you love.

ChildoftheProphets

MBTI Type
INFP
Ha, your description of some of those professionals reminds me of the movie Patch Addams, as well a negative personal experience I had, ironically with another doctor named Addams. Hopefully you can use some of your newfound spiritual fervor to make some real impact on people's lives, all the while using your specialized training. That may be your gift.

And good luck with the religious community; I had the opposite course in my life--I grew up among the religious and eventually became an outcast atheist.

I regained faith a year later, but things were never quite the same after that. I need to integrate myself too, again. What IS your boyfriend's opinion on all this?

BlueFlame

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
My advice? Change your major and finish college!
Consumption with an amazing person and the things that interest them is absolutely amazing!
But it dies down or dies forever, and, ultimately, it doesn't pay the bills or give you any autonomy.
I majored in psychology, and 90% of the friends I made who did the same decided they had no interest in pursuing grad school, and that severely limits job opportunities, as I'm sure you know. So, if you aren't passionate about the subject in and of itself, I wouldn't recommend putting your time, money, and energy into it.
But I do recommend you finish your education in a career directed way so you can have the luxury of leisure to study whatever suits your fancy! :)

thinkinjazz

MBTI Type
ENFP
i'm a third year psych major.....recently I met someone who has turned my life around, he is the only thing i feel passionate about really, i've lost the passion to study and finish my degree, i just have no yearning for it. i LOVE to study and learn, but not psychology anymore....i think the system is so flawed and corrupt, it leaves me with bitterness.
My new passion is religion and well loving my boyfriend, learning how to love myself, which i never knew how to do before....

So yeah...the question is, should I do what my dad has asked of me and finish my degree???

Get a job so you can pay for your food, rent, etc. and take a year to figure out who you are: travel, read, meet some people in the fields you're interested in etc. As long as you are paying for everything and plan to go back to college afterward (which you must do if you want any kind of real job in the future) then you should be able to take some time to figure this all out. I agree with the above posts that state how temporary relationships can be- you have to make decisions focusing on personal growth and with minimal focus on relationships. Good luck! :hug:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
a friend's dad has a undergrad degree in psychology and a doctorate in theology- he works as a religious councilor in a medical center :)

you'd regret not finishing your degree more than you'd regret finishing it, I'm guessing :yes:

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
Finish your degree. It likely can go towards whatever other areas you become interested in studying. Also keep in mind that as wonderful as your boyfriend may be, nothing is ever healthy when it takes on a disproportionate percentage of your time and attention. You are still getting to know him. I've made the mistake of allowing someone to become too much the centre of my world and in retrospect it was not good for our relationship or for the other areas of my life that were suffering from lack of attention.

Are you an ENFP, or what is your type?

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Yeah uh.. what everyohne else said.. Finish your degree.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah...no clue why you can't do all that...finish the degree take some theology date your bf and all that...where's the either or in this situation? i don't get it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you're interested in religion, psychology can be applied toward that.

However, despite what everyone is saying here, a Psych degree by itself is about as useful as an English degree by itself...um, it's a degree. That's about it. To actually *do* anything in that field, you'll have to go to grad school.

I agree that you should take a semester or a year off then perhaps you'll choose to go back to school. I'm not going to put any judgements on your relationship with your bf - if getting married and having a family is your priority, don't let people tell you bullshit like relationships are temporary and degrees are forever. There are options in life.

Lark

Are you kidding?!

I didnt study psychology, studied just about everything than it, studied at three different universities, travelled the world, worked a bunch of jobs, loved and lost, lived A LOT in the years between then and now.

The only thing I wish I'd done as studied psychology, dont count out or depreciate what you've got here, think about it, I strongly urge you. :hi:

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
despite what everyone is saying here, a Psych degree by itself is about as useful as an English degree by itself...um, it's a degree. That's about it. To actually *do* anything in that field, you'll have to go to grad school.
A degree looks good in any field and opens a lot of options as far as future employment, regardless of major. A psych degree could be a first step toward something like divinity school, rather than a PhD psych program or something. It will give kafkacat a lot more options going forward.

don't let other people's expectations and hopes restrain you from living your life as an individual and never ever let anyone hold you back from doing things you love.
In a vacuum, this is probably good advice.

Applied to this specific situation, though, it doesn't mean dropping everything to obsess over a person or immerse yourself in a faith that will always be there. You want something that will probably "hold you back from doing things you love"? Not finishing school.

You don't ask how dropping out might impact this new relationship, or what kafkacat would do after leaving school. You don't seem to consider how it might impact relationships with family, which probably fall somewhere in the neighborhood of "things you love".

By all means, don't let people's expectations dictate your course of action. But don't act against those expectations at your own expense, just for the sake of defying expectations.

marmalade.sunrise said:
I agree that you should take a semester or a year off then perhaps you'll choose to go back to school.
Taking a semester off might make sense depending on the circumstances, but it's a radical step. Before just up and telling someone to stop going to school, shouldn't you know more than just that they don't really feel like it any more?

If the situation is "i LOVE to study and learn, but not psychology anymore", aren't there a lot of options that don't involve leaving school?

1) suck it up and finish what you started
2) talk things over with a professor, advisor, or administrator to get their input and discuss your options
3) same thing, with the school priest or some such
4) de-prioritize academics, get involved in other stuff, and do enough to graduate
5) change majors

Also, who are you agreeing with? No one else has suggested that.

marmalade.sunrise said:
don't let people tell you bullshit like relationships are temporary and degrees are forever.
Well, first of all, many relationships are temporary, and once you've earned a degree, you always have that. So it's not bullshit, or at least not literally.

What puzzles me is the dichotomy you've drawn. The OP implies a relationship between this new boyfriend and thinking about leaving school or dropping psych. It's not apparent, though, that staying in school necessitates short-changing the relationship in any way. This is not an either/or proposition.

Are you kidding?!

I didnt study psychology, studied just about everything than it, studied at three different universities, travelled the world, worked a bunch of jobs, loved and lost, lived A LOT in the years between then and now.

The only thing I wish I'd done as studied psychology, dont count out or depreciate what you've got here, think about it, I strongly urge you. :hi:
The single most important thing to take away from personality typing is that not everyone has the same needs. Psychology may be perfect for you, and all wrong for someone else.

yeah...no clue why you can't do all that...finish the degree take some theology date your bf and all that...where's the either or in this situation? i don't get it.
Same here.

you'd regret not finishing your degree more than you'd regret finishing it, I'm guessing
An excellent summation.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My advice? Change your major and finish college!
Consumption with an amazing person and the things that interest them is absolutely amazing!
But it dies down or dies forever, and, ultimately, it doesn't pay the bills or give you any autonomy.

This.

You said you "recently" met someone. How recently are we talking about? Did meeting him coincide with your lack of passion in psychology, or were you losing that passion before meeting him?

If you lack passion in psych but still have a passion for learning, then yes, it's probably best to change the major. An amazing relationship will likely survive a year and half of school.