User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by kafkacat View Post
    i'm a third year psych major.....recently I met someone who has turned my life around, he is the only thing i feel passionate about really, i've lost the passion to study and finish my degree, i just have no yearning for it. i LOVE to study and learn, but not psychology anymore....i think the system is so flawed and corrupt, it leaves me with bitterness.
    My new passion is religion and well loving my boyfriend, learning how to love myself, which i never knew how to do before....

So yeah...the question is, should I do what my dad has asked of me and finish my degree???
    Get a job so you can pay for your food, rent, etc. and take a year to figure out who you are: travel, read, meet some people in the fields you're interested in etc. As long as you are paying for everything and plan to go back to college afterward (which you must do if you want any kind of real job in the future) then you should be able to take some time to figure this all out. I agree with the above posts that state how temporary relationships can be- you have to make decisions focusing on personal growth and with minimal focus on relationships. Good luck!
    Holy sh**t a talking muffin!

All shotguns and lace.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

a friend's dad has a undergrad degree in psychology and a doctorate in theology- he works as a religious councilor in a medical center

you'd regret not finishing your degree more than you'd regret finishing it, I'm guessing
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Finish your degree. It likely can go towards whatever other areas you become interested in studying. Also keep in mind that as wonderful as your boyfriend may be, nothing is ever healthy when it takes on a disproportionate percentage of your time and attention. You are still getting to know him. I've made the mistake of allowing someone to become too much the centre of my world and in retrospect it was not good for our relationship or for the other areas of my life that were suffering from lack of attention.

Are you an ENFP, or what is your type?

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Yeah uh.. what everyohne else said.. Finish your degree.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

yeah...no clue why you can't do all that...finish the degree take some theology date your bf and all that...where's the either or in this situation? i don't get it.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If you're interested in religion, psychology can be applied toward that.

However, despite what everyone is saying here, a Psych degree by itself is about as useful as an English degree by itself...um, it's a degree. That's about it. To actually *do* anything in that field, you'll have to go to grad school.

I agree that you should take a semester or a year off then perhaps you'll choose to go back to school. I'm not going to put any judgements on your relationship with your bf - if getting married and having a family is your priority, don't let people tell you bullshit like relationships are temporary and degrees are forever. There are options in life.

i'm a third year psych major.....recently I met someone who has turned my life around, he is the only thing i feel passionate about really, i've lost the passion to study and finish my degree, i just have no yearning for it. i LOVE to study and learn, but not psychology anymore....i think the system is so flawed and corrupt, it leaves me with bitterness.
    My new passion is religion and well loving my boyfriend, learning how to love myself, which i never knew how to do before....

So yeah...the question is, should I do what my dad has asked of me and finish my degree???
    Are you kidding?!

I didnt study psychology, studied just about everything than it, studied at three different universities, travelled the world, worked a bunch of jobs, loved and lost, lived A LOT in the years between then and now.

The only thing I wish I'd done as studied psychology, dont count out or depreciate what you've got here, think about it, I strongly urge you.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    despite what everyone is saying here, a Psych degree by itself is about as useful as an English degree by itself...um, it's a degree. That's about it. To actually *do* anything in that field, you'll have to go to grad school.
    A degree looks good in any field and opens a lot of options as far as future employment, regardless of major. A psych degree could be a first step toward something like divinity school, rather than a PhD psych program or something. It will give kafkacat a lot more options going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    don't let other people's expectations and hopes restrain you from living your life as an individual and never ever let anyone hold you back from doing things you love.
    In a vacuum, this is probably good advice.

Applied to this specific situation, though, it doesn't mean dropping everything to obsess over a person or immerse yourself in a faith that will always be there. You want something that will probably "hold you back from doing things you love"? Not finishing school.

You don't ask how dropping out might impact this new relationship, or what kafkacat would do after leaving school. You don't seem to consider how it might impact relationships with family, which probably fall somewhere in the neighborhood of "things you love".

By all means, don't let people's expectations dictate your course of action. But don't act against those expectations at your own expense, just for the sake of defying expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise
    I agree that you should take a semester or a year off then perhaps you'll choose to go back to school.
    Taking a semester off might make sense depending on the circumstances, but it's a radical step. Before just up and telling someone to stop going to school, shouldn't you know more than just that they don't really feel like it any more?

If the situation is "i LOVE to study and learn, but not psychology anymore", aren't there a lot of options that don't involve leaving school?

1) suck it up and finish what you started
    2) talk things over with a professor, advisor, or administrator to get their input and discuss your options
    3) same thing, with the school priest or some such
    4) de-prioritize academics, get involved in other stuff, and do enough to graduate
    5) change majors

Also, who are you agreeing with? No one else has suggested that.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise
    don't let people tell you bullshit like relationships are temporary and degrees are forever.
    Well, first of all, many relationships are temporary, and once you've earned a degree, you always have that. So it's not bullshit, or at least not literally.

What puzzles me is the dichotomy you've drawn. The OP implies a relationship between this new boyfriend and thinking about leaving school or dropping psych. It's not apparent, though, that staying in school necessitates short-changing the relationship in any way. This is not an either/or proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Are you kidding?!

I didnt study psychology, studied just about everything than it, studied at three different universities, travelled the world, worked a bunch of jobs, loved and lost, lived A LOT in the years between then and now.

The only thing I wish I'd done as studied psychology, dont count out or depreciate what you've got here, think about it, I strongly urge you.
    The single most important thing to take away from personality typing is that not everyone has the same needs. Psychology may be perfect for you, and all wrong for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    yeah...no clue why you can't do all that...finish the degree take some theology date your bf and all that...where's the either or in this situation? i don't get it.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    you'd regret not finishing your degree more than you'd regret finishing it, I'm guessing
    An excellent summation.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFlame View Post
    My advice? Change your major and finish college!
    Consumption with an amazing person and the things that interest them is absolutely amazing!
    But it dies down or dies forever, and, ultimately, it doesn't pay the bills or give you any autonomy.
    This.

You said you "recently" met someone. How recently are we talking about? Did meeting him coincide with your lack of passion in psychology, or were you losing that passion before meeting him?

If you lack passion in psych but still have a passion for learning, then yes, it's probably best to change the major. An amazing relationship will likely survive a year and half of school.

MBTI
    epic

Default To the OP

i think the system is so flawed and corrupt, it leaves me with bitterness.
    explain?