User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Of course none of this necessarily implies that happiness and intelligence are causally related. And it's all pretty Ne-speculative anyway.
    Maybe there just is a natural disposition in people towards happiness/unhappiness, like with a lot of other things. If this is true, I think it works more like a catalyst of these dispositions, rather than a force of its own.
    If intelligence implies questioning and analysis or a given situation (which can also mean "your life as a whole"), it certainly can get you deeper into a rut - provided you have already been in one.
    But maybe it can also work the opposite way ... I've been quite unhappy for some time, but I had a couple of interesting insights (though I don't feel like elaborating, at least not in this thread) when I was around 19 which made me appreciate myself as the person I am. Basically all of them came from mere self-reflection, and I was pretty glad I had arrived at that point - because I've never been truly unhappy ever since.
    Of course, this implies that self-reflection etc. = using intelligence, but to me it's an example that intelligence can in fact make you happy.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

did you mean Asperger's? The difference is that the gifts people with Asperger's have are largely intellectual. That doesn't negate the social/communication issues they have to deal with. But I sort of agree with you, although maybe not in the way that you think- I do think people with mental retardation, along with their deficits, have other gifts (as all people do, I believe, though some are snuffed out or squandered) and should be respected and treated as fully human.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Of course none of this necessarily implies that happiness and intelligence are causally related. And it's all pretty Ne-speculative anyway.
    So can we safely come to the conclusion that its Ne wandering and speculation, not intelligence that drives worry. Have you verified to see how intelligent Ne is? It could possibly just be a curiousity of relation and intelligence is more dependent on how succesful you are at figuring out that relation. So the more you worry , the less intelligent you are since you have problems putting the 2 together and understanding the correlation. So the more you worry, the less intelligent you actually are.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post
    Blindness is a gift (NOT a disability) I give you all !
    I refuse to accept any gifts from unknown persons
    Oh yeah?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    IEE

Does anyone here actually work in the field? I've seen many people who help care for these individuals sadly treat them as overgrown infants, even petting the heads of those in wheelchairs like animals (probably because they are at hand-level. there is a difference between stroking someone's hair lovingly and patting them on the head in approval) I couldn't believe how many workers COMPLAINED constantly while they were on the job, about their personal, pathetic issues that pale in comparison to what's in front of them: being someone perpetually dependent on others.

ANYWAY... I see each individual as such, a unique entity, and I love to listen to and otherwise be around those with "developmental disabilities" (I HATE all the PC terms. ugh!). I can't paint with my feet nor tell that someone is smiling at me when I'm not looking directly at them. These people do remarkable and uncanny things for a caregiving audience of fretful people who placate them, in my opinion. I do respect everyone's case and most of the time relatives of the person have been caring for them their whole lives and I believe that you should respect the wishes of family and those who know them best. It's about compromise of what's worked and what people feel is best.

Most of these people need adaptive, evolving care not just a rigid behaviour plan with canned responses that become predictable and meaningless to those being addressed.

My work with direct support so far comes down to respecting one's human rights and striving to present new ideas and experiences and methods to our consumers. I like this exposure principle.

I am hopefully starting with a new organization next week, I can't wait!

PS - if you guys don't know what a Snoezelen Room is... look it up! so cool!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I don't know much about this subject, but I could speculate about the relationship between "happiness" and intelligence level. It seems like one's level of contentedness declines as they approach the extreme ends of intelligence (genius or severely mentally inhibited).
    I'll do you one better and suggest that acting intelligent and being intelligent are two separate kettles of fish.

In other words, people who seem contented also seem like dullards, which implies low intellect. But that is a terrible assumption.

There is a certain air of contentedness that disarms intellect. It's that air of humility and non-flashiness that causes people to assume there is a correlation between happiness and intelligence.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm surprised this thread is not in the graveyard. I seriously thought it was a joke when I first saw it.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I'm surprised this thread is not in the graveyard. I seriously thought it was a joke when I first saw it.
    Its not a joke

I was using it as a stab at people who think they are intelligent.
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

This thread is kind of offensive, you know (I have a retarded brother; self-sufficient, but still with clear retardation).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    This thread is kind of offensive, you know (I have a retarded brother; self-sufficient, but still with clear retardation).
    Ive actually always preffered the term slow for some reason.

Not to be offensive, but you can imagine what pops in my head when I see these signs.
    Im out, its been fun