User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

High intelligence can certainly make you unhappy.
    The more your mind wanders, the more it can give you stuff to worry about.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Retarded people are able to think more simply than normal people. Many times when normal guy is trying to figure out some simple things they might miss the answer simply because the answer is so simple that they cant think like that. If it was some retarded guy trying to figure the same thing out he most likely would get it in a second.
    He'd figure it out but what would he do with it? Having the answer is only half the problem. The answer the "normal" guy is trying to figure out means something to him and, although he might struggle with it, when he finally gets it, it has a meaning and a purpose. The "retarded" guy might have the answer but to him it might be meaningless and therefore, useless.

Quote Originally Posted by StrappingYoungLad View Post
    Ignorance is bliss.
    I used to think so too when I was younger. It seemed like an easy fix. Too easy. Personally, the older I get, the more I realize how little I really know despite all the knowledge I manage to accumulate. It's frustrating. I don't find any bliss in that. But it keeps the hamster in my brain running.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    But if you have an even higher intelligence you realize what you are doing and dont worry about it
    Im out, its been fun

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    And when we come across avatars like yours, blindness is bliss.
    Blindness is a gift (NOT a disability) I give you all !
    Dishonest ISFPs make me sad.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    But if you have an even higher intelligence you realize what you are doing and dont worry about it
    And if you have an even higher intelligence than that, you realize being intelligent and having all the answers is boring after a while.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    And if you have an even higher intelligence than that, you realize being intelligent and having all the answers is boring after a while.
    Thats why I am Se Gotta escape the boredom
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I agree. And the more the mind wanders, the more likely we are to desire more than what we have and set outrageous internal goals/expectations for ourselves, regardless of how obtainable our desires are.

I don't know much about this subject, but I could speculate about the relationship between "happiness" and intelligence level. It seems like one's level of contentedness declines as they approach the extreme ends of intelligence (genius or severely mentally inhibited).

I see the happiness vs. intelligence function best-fit to a fifth degree polynomial (but with asymptotes on either side, rather than going on until infinite), wherein the global maximum for happiness is located in the upper-middle range of intelligence. To the left of this global max, there's a slight decline towards average and/or slightly below average (where there's a local min not too far from the local max), where it thereby begins to increase again until you get to a point of mildly handicapped where there's a local max, thus decreasing as you approach severely handicapped. To the right of the aforementioned global max, the function declines drastically as you approach the level of savant.

Of course none of this necessarily implies that happiness and intelligence are causally related. And it's all pretty Ne-speculative anyway.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I am often bored in a pleasant way
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    STP

I am often bored in a pleasant way
    I dont think I want to know what you do when your bored then
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Ironically, both my dyslexic sister as well as dyslexic father would both condone this topic. For the sole reason that dyslexia simply isn't a gift to them. It's tough enough to live with it as it is, without trying to sugercoat it. They both feel and are limited in many areas that are pretty important in todays information age. And sure they both have skills that could be considered as a perk that makes their dyslexic look insignificant. There will always be areas in which they just simply suck and can't do anything about it.

Anyhow, who's going to make the "What does gifted mean?" in the philosophy forum? :P
    i wasnt addressing to that dyslexia topic with this topic. but there as been a trend of making topics like this with aspengers and what ever, and that has been bothering me a bit since surely every disability like dyslexia or aspengers have some good in them. but overally its as dumb as saying that being retarded is a gift since you can find something good with being retarded like you can find good things about having dyslexia or what ever.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read