• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Makes A Genius ?

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
The word genius is part of the history of ideas. And ideas occur in a time and place and are mediated by the media. And when the media change, the ideas change.

Very few of us can see what is happening in front of us, while most of us see with 20/20 vision with hindsight. And genius hoves into view when we can see genius from the outside. Everyone and their dog can now see genius.

It takes no genius to see genius today.

One can behold or conceive of a trait without possessing it. Perhaps when there are no more phenomena to map, nor concentrations of power to access, "genius" will be a meaningless descriptor. As long as exploitable structures, fundamental mysteries, and variations in "intelligence" exist, though, there will always be those exceptionally and unpredictably capable, whom we will label "geniuses".

Chthonic

To my mind, I don't believe in genius. I believe in focus, that is what produces results. The people able to get exceptional results are just more focused than the rest of us.

Mole

Permabanned
One can behold or conceive of a trait without possessing it. Perhaps when there are no more phenomena to map, nor concentrations of power to access, "genius" will be a meaningless descriptor. As long as exploitable structures, fundamental mysteries, and variations in "intelligence" exist, though, there will always be those exceptionally and unpredictably capable, whom we will label "geniuses".

The word genius does not have any meaning outside of culture, and when culture changes the meaning changes. And the culture that gave us the word genius has now passed. And not only is genius dead, but God is dead, the individual is dead, the author is dead, indeed teleology itself is dead.

But as we see, we keep repeating the conventional wisdom with all the pride of an obedient child.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
And not only is genius dead, but God is dead, the individual is dead, the author is dead, indeed teleology itself is dead.

But as we see, we keep repeating the conventional wisdom with all the pride of an obedient child.

We are disillusioned with our leaders. That does not mean the phenomenon we describe as genius has ceased to occur. And the narrative isn't dead; it's serving a prison sentence.

the individual is dead

At least irony isn't.

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Obviously to be a genius is a societal thing. As such instead of simply leaving it at that, I shall pursue this and think about what qualities society values when qualifying someone as a genius.

I think society values confidence in themselves. This is something I have observed. If I doubt myself while speaking, would my audience hold what I said in as much regard? This is untested as of yet.

It is also my belief that people value those who are able to do things they cannot. However there is a difference when it comes to physical genius and mental genius. Physical genius is something that one could be able to do given enough resources. Mental genius is something that one cannot do in the time they are allotted on earth. It is subjective by person to person.

An example of a genius would be Mozart. He wrote music from the age of 6? He seemed quite confident in himself, although I don't know what he was thinking at the time. Bach was see as a genius for his organ playing. People in his time believed anybody could write music like he did, as such then he was only genius for his playing. But in the modern age, the reasoning flipped around. Now currently he is celebrated as a composer.

Thoughts?

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think I should mention as well, that the adjective Intelligence is different form educated.
We shouldn’t narrow down personal value on few traits.

cyrilraymond

MBTI Type
cyri
Enneagram
cyr
The Media! We only seem to regard people as genius, if they are in the media, or if enough has been written about them in history. We all meet a genius everyday and just don't realise it.
The best genius you will ever know is yourself! You are the genius of your own life! Take inspiration from other genius, but you’re the genius who makes it happen!

Mole

Permabanned
To understand what makes a genius we first need to understand epistemology. That is, we need to first understand how we know things.

Some of us take genius for granted. That is, we are unable to step outside the taken for granted, so we can't take an epistemological view.

In the same way some of us take the USA for granted. That is, we are unable to step outside our taken for granted view of the USA. And so we are unable to view the USA epistemologically.

And in the same way some of us take mbti for granted. That is, we are unable to step outside our taken for granted view of mbti. So we are unable to view mbti epistemologically.

So some of us are completely bounded by the taken for granted. And so we just keep on repeating the conventional wisdom with all the pride of an obedient child.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
all you need to do is listen to Art Tatum. he was an incredible genius, enough so as to defy any explanation.
listen to Art Tatum solo masterpieces on youtube...
yer welcome [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION] !

Dannik

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
all you need to do is listen to Art Tatum. he was an incredible genius, enough so as to defy any explanation.
listen to Art Tatum solo masterpieces on youtube...
yer welcome [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION] !

I think Art Tatum is incredible, INCREDIBLE!, beyond compare,
but i believe that genius comes from within you.

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The amount of consensus in something non-practical annoys me. If genius is dead then this thread is dead, because it contains genius. Is this thread dead?

Mole

Permabanned
The amount of consensus in something non-practical annoys me. If genius is dead then this thread is dead, because it contains genius. Is this thread dead?

This thread only contains the idea of genius.

Twixt the cup and the lip there is many a slip.

And the map is not the territory.

So the idea of genius is not genius, just as the famous painting of a pipe tells us, This is not a pipe.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Apparently I am a genius (I was tested and deduced to be one when I was 5), but I have never produced anything of significance, I am easy to overwhelm in a debate and I am a social reject. So what does that tell you?

Firstly that genius is not uniform; the stereotypical vision of genius is of a dishevelled physic nerd. I do believe that to change the world, you need to have IQ above about 120, but there are many different types of intelligence as well (I actually have average verbal intelligence at best, and struggle to express myself vocally). Secondly, innate talent is not enough to succeed. You also need a strong work ethic, self-belief...and perhaps as much as anything else...something to say. A real longing to express yourself through your work. Maybe this sounds a bit too much like an artist's perspective but I believe the above holds true for great scientists and inventors as well. Thirdly, genius needs to be nurtured. None of us exist in a vacuum, and if you lack the resources and guidance to make use of your talents, life will be miserable.

Anyway that's just my take.

á´…eparted

passages
Apparently I am a genius (I was tested and deduced to be one when I was 5), but I have never produced anything of significance, I am easy to overwhelm in a debate and I am a social reject. So what does that tell you?

Firstly that genius is not uniform; there is a stereotypical conception of genius that doesn't fit everybody. I do believe that to change the world, you need to have IQ above about 120, but there are many different types of intelligence as well (I actually have average verbal intelligence at best, and struggle to express myself vocally). Secondly, innate talent is not enough to succeed. You also need a strong work ethic, self-belief...and perhaps as much as anything else...something to say. A real longing to express yourself through your work. Maybe this sounds a bit too much like an artist's perspective but I believe the above holds true for great scientists and inventors as well. Thirdly, genius needs to be nurtured. None of us exist in a vacuum, and if you lack the resources and guidance to make use of your talents, life will be miserable.

Anyway that's just my take.

This.

I have been called a genius, and tested as one since childhood by multiple people in my life from family, teachers, professionals, friends, etc. up until now. I still don't buy it personally (I doubt I ever will), I'm too manipulative for my own good and too good of a talker for them to have an accurate depiction as well. I've learned to just take it as it is, but I honestly think little of it anymore. I've shown many things that I've done to back it up in school, but haven't produced anything tangible that's of real true worth (maybe some worth, but not what I'd consider particularly noteworthy). A lot of it comes down to effort and drive. I got the drive, but not the energy tank.

Really, a genius is something you know when you see it.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
People call me a genius, in particular for my mathematical ability.

But everyone is saying they are known as a genius. Surely, the term is overused.

Our society dumbs us down, makes us lazy, takes away opportunities to become genius.

And so we have so-called geniuses, but none that are proving it.

Yaru

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
A lot of people call me both a genius and a retard.

A genius for my artistic ability and because I pick up foreign languages extremely easily without any effort.

A retard because I can't even turn a lighter on, I make spaghetti go on fire and it takes me half an hour to figure out how to unlock a door.

I have more things for what people can call me a retard than a genius actually.

So I guess this makes me an average person.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
A lot of people call me both a genius and a retard.

A genius for my artistic ability and because I pick up foreign languages extremely easily without any effort.

A retard because I can't even turn a lighter on, I make spaghetti go on fire and it takes me half an hour to figure out how to unlock a door.

I have more things for what people can call me a retard than a genius actually.

So I guess this makes me an average person.

That makes you a person of extremes.

Alomoes

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Extremes go with genius. This is for the reason that genius holds in the extremes. Such as in artwork. When the extremes are made normal, that is genius.