• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Makes A Genius ?

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As usual, they failed to answer the question they set, although I liked Mark Lythgoe's model: there are these excitatory and inhibitory neural processes and it is 'breaking' the inhibitory process that "unleashes" creativity. Which fits with what we know about the relationship between genius and "madness".

Yes i also noticed that they failed to answer their own question in the documentary, just came up with some conflicting possibilities.
Personally i would never have included the mice-awful.
I did find parts of the program very interesting; the chess mind, the blind seer, and the artist at the end.
But the program was entirely inconclusive.

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Just genetic, people with a neural speed higher than 99.99999 percent of people are geniuses.

It's not always a question of speed even though the system, including timed IQ tests that are designed to measure only a few moves deep, condition this kind of thinking. On that note, I would say genius is effortless, but effortlessness is not sufficient.

More importantly, genius consists in the ability to string together thousands of arguments without getting oneself in contradictions.

durentu

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
genius is a subjective evaluation upon which the person believes that it is beyond normal ability.

einstein is a genius because he thought things through further than anyone else. he doesn't see himself as a genius.

KDude

raw brain power, imagination...both thinking outside the box and at the same time knowing what's needed/necessary for others (i.e. some lvl of practicality).. and then tenacity/hard work. doesn't matter what you think if you don't produce anything.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
sex... but to be fair sex makes idiots and average people too... it's really the only way you get anyone :newwink:

RogueBlue

MBTI Type
INFJ
The Media! We only seem to regard people as genius, if they are in the media, or if enough has been written about them in history. We all meet a genius everyday and just don't realise it.
The best genius you will ever know is yourself! You are the genius of your own life! Take inspiration from other genius, but you’re the genius who makes it happen!

Mole

Permabanned
A Genius and a Celebrity

A genius is the epitome of the literate individual, while the celebrity is the epitome of the global village.

The genius is now passé, and the celebrity is now, well, celebrated.

For the celebrity killed the genius. And the genius is of only forensic interest.

But like any new species, the celebrity is received with some suspicion. Indeed the very word celebrity is pejorative, while the word genius is hallowed by time.

Paris Hilton is our celebrity but no one can figure out why. But it's simply - in the Attention Economy Paris has more attention than anyone else, so we worship her and seek to emulate her. Why, some of us have 500 friends and counting.

But the secret to attention is simply presence. And Paris is present everywhere in the electronic media. Paris is now the dream of every little girl, and even us little boys.

But how we love to put her down because we envy her so much. We love to hate Paris because she has effortlessly what have strived so hard to attain - simply attention - for attention is a sign of love.

We pay attention and we lend an ear to someone we love. And we love Paris. We love Paris in the Springtime.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's a Horizon documentary on this question in an hour on bbc1. How would you guys define genius and how do you think they nurture such unique thought processes ?

Pure coincidence.

Danikov

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Two
I'd say genius refers to one of a small number of people of outstanding accomplishment, which in no way necessitates the recognition of their accomplishments.

Intelligence is one of the recognised factors in being a genius and IQ is an attempt to measure intelligence. A high IQ reflects the potential to be a genius, but doesn't equate to accomplishment.

Evguenia

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
1w2
The notion of a genius is relative. In order for someone to be labelled as "genius", they have to possess incredible talent in something that is widely recognized as being significant. Say, in the prehistoric age, someone who could hunt meat better than anybody else would be considered to be a genius. However, the expected skillset has changed. Because the societal expectations have become academic, someone with an amazing ability to link concepts to create something new would be considered to be a genius. Someone who is amazing at mental math could be considered to be a genius. Someone who could flap their ears or could whistle well, however, would not be considered a genius, because even though these skills can entertain people for a while, they are generally useless for the society. And as Danikov said, we use IQ tests to figure out where along the intelligence spectrum a person falls, because we do not have a more adequate measurement of intelligence. And there would never be a fully accurate measurement of intelligence, since we can only test specific skills and such an intelligence test would require an infinite amount of skills to be measured and added up.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
IQ seems to be the only legitimate way to describe a genius.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Apple's Think Different Ad sums it up for me:
Think Different

Here's to the crazy ones,
the misfits,
the rebels,
the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.
The ones who see things differently.

They're not fond of rules
and they have no respect for the status quo.

You can quote them,
disagree with them,
glorify or vilify them.
About the only thing you can't do
is ignore them,
because they change things.
They push the human race forward.

And while some may see them as the crazy ones,
we see genius

Because the people who are crazy enough to
think they can change the world
are the ones who do.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
first of all you cant be a genius unless you understand that there can be many types of geniuses and that they all can be geniuses for totally different reasons

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nothing...you're born with it, you either have it or you don't. Genius ancestors make one a genius. That's it.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I tend to see genius as going beyond what people perceived was possible, even stepping intelligence up to a new level. It has a wow factor, which high intelligence alone doesn't. Da Vinci, Einstein, Tesla, Shakespeare, Monet, etc. Not just smart guys but ones who had crazy visions which changed history more than anyone at the time, or even later, could imagine.

Hypatia

trying to be a very good ENTP
According to the philosophy I read: disinterested contemplation. Or, as Schopenhauer put it, when the intellect supersedes the will.

Sunny Ghost

To me, a genius is someone who:

(1) ...accomplishes something that has not been done before, and was thought to be impossible.

(2) ...makes something happen when it was needed most despite a significant lack of resources, such as time, money, labor, materials, etc.

(3) ...stops very bad things from happening, especially if they do so in a way that is undetectable, and that causes no tension, or other "ripples in the pond."

good list.

Mole

Permabanned
Too easy!

A genius is a literate individual.

And now the genius is dead, long with the book, the God of the Book, privacy, and the counter-intuitive thinking of the genius.

Today we are part of electronic tribes, like Typology Central.