• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Makes A Genius ?

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's a Horizon documentary on this question in an hour on bbc1. How would you guys define genius and how do you think they nurture such unique thought processes ?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
homer-beer.jpg

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thinking outside the box in a way that actually improves upon things.
Or it could be an entirely new path, in which case the genius of it all is apparent.

Nurture such thought processes... Well.
I think that real geniuses - not savants - are hugely creative individuals.
Some of the most intelligent people I know of are incredibly well-spoken.
I'd say that a lot of geniality can back-traced to how strong the language centers of your brain are (Broca's area and Wernicke's area).
If you have the correct grasp of words so that you can express yourself and your thoughts in a fashion that does not restrict you...
Well, then you've come far in the thought process already.

Let's take the example of Helen Keller. Until she was in her early teens she did not know a word.
Before language, her only memories are of primal urges and base feelings like hunger, anger, satisfaction.
After language was taught to her by Anne Sullivan and she could start teaching herself things, it was a whole new world.

Thus, I reason that higher proficiency in one main language and many auxiliary languages gives you better outside the box thinking,
because different languages contain different nuances and meanings in words, which incorporates entire ways of thinking.
When you see a larger picture than you can using only one language, thought comes easier.
Of course, a person needs a good sense of logic and many other things as well; like this little thing called creativity.
Those two seem hard to mix, though. In all honesty, I think it's a matter of human evolution and or possibly nutrition/environment/upbringing/education.
Some have it easier from the start genetically, and they are few and far between. Even fewer get the right conditions for advancing.

But, all in all, i'd say the geniuses that I have met are linguistically gifted no matter what field they are in.
Not saying I am a genius myself. That'd be boastful, since I haven't accomplished anything worth noting.
I agree with Disregard that the opinions of other people are indeed important, as well.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
To me, a genius is someone who:

(1) ...accomplishes something that has not been done before, and was thought to be impossible.

(2) ...makes something happen when it was needed most despite a significant lack of resources, such as time, money, labor, materials, etc.

(3) ...stops very bad things from happening, especially if they do so in a way that is undetectable, and that causes no tension, or other "ripples in the pond."

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Just genetic, people with a neural speed higher than 99.99999 percent of people are geniuses.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just genetic, people with a neural speed higher than 99.99999 percent of people are geniuses.

What if they think about totally irrelevant things? Seriously? I'm not trying to be a smart ass. :)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
What if they think about totally irrelevant things? Seriously? I'm not trying to be a smart ass. :)

Ahah yes, in that case you're right, they would just be called "idiot savants" perhaps? But I suppose that if a person can process things that quickly he-she will also be able to understand what's relevant and what's irrilevant.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
To me a genius is someone who genuinely takes care of people and may be able tho he has to endure the biggest hardships to still reload and aim for the head this time :D

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ahah yes, in that case you're right, they would just be called "idiot savants" perhaps? But I suppose that if a person can process things that quickly he-she will also be able to understand what's relevant and what's irrilevant.

It would be interesting to see how much variation occurs as such. I know lots of people who are very book smart, but not at all street smart. I also know alot of very street smart people who couldn't write a memo if they tried. It's all about balance to me...

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Well, when a genius man and a genius woman really really like each other...

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
It would be interesting to see how much variation occurs as such. I know lots of people who are very book smart, but not at all street smart. I also know alot of very street smart people who couldn't write a memo if they tried. It's all about balance to me...

mmm but you know what, I have some really street-smart friends that didn't even finish high school, but to me they seem to be pretty smart by the "quick mind" parameter. It's just that they didn't like-wanted-could apply that to school stuff

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If someone is viewed as a genius... then that's what makes them one. Anyone can change any definition really, just depends on how they apply it. This is just one of those words that is entirely subjective.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
mmm but you know what, I have some really street-smart friends that didn't even finish high school, but to me they seem to be pretty smart by the "quick mind" parameter. It's just that they didn't like-wanted-could apply that to school stuff

Yeah... That stuff is about as good to have as a good and healthy body, but nothing beats wisdom and intelligence.

mr-miyagi.jpg

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
By definition, a genius is someone extraordinarily smart and creative and who uses this power.
I've known someone who was really smart and creative, yet the only thing he did was either bragging or complaining.
I think there is a big difference between a genius and a failed genius. A genius can accept failure and learn from it.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
Thus, I reason that higher proficiency in one main language and many auxiliary languages gives you better outside the box thinking,
because different languages contain different nuances and meanings in words, which incorporates entire ways of thinking.
When you see a larger picture than you can using only one language, thought comes easier.
Of course, a person needs a good sense of logic and many other things as well; like this little thing called creativity.
Those two seem hard to mix, though. In all honesty, I think it's a matter of human evolution and or possibly nutrition/environment/upbringing/education.
Some have it easier from the start genetically, and they are few and far between. Even fewer get the right conditions for advancing.

ive often thought that too. language constructs are so reliant on intuitive connections made inside the head that, in a child, these intuitive connections are made by learning to use these constructs. then when the child applies this newly learnt way of thinking to other fields (in art class, in the park) he is exploring his creativity while solidifying those connections. then when the kid grows up, his intuitive connections become strong and expand into realm where the kid (adult by now?) starts coming up with constructs so as to be able to facilitate that expansion. that is probably where metaphors, allegories comes from

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thinking outside the box in a way that actually improves upon things.
Or it could be an entirely new path, in which case the genius of it all is apparent.

Nurture such thought processes... Well.
I think that real geniuses - not savants - are hugely creative individuals.
Some of the most intelligent people I know of are incredibly well-spoken.
I'd say that a lot of geniality can back-traced to how strong the language centers of your brain are (Broca's area and Wernicke's area).
If you have the correct grasp of words so that you can express yourself and your thoughts in a fashion that does not restrict you...
Well, then you've come far in the thought process already.

Let's take the example of Helen Keller. Until she was in her early teens she did not know a word.
Before language, her only memories are of primal urges and base feelings like hunger, anger, satisfaction.
After language was taught to her by Anne Sullivan and she could start teaching herself things, it was a whole new world.

But, all in all, i'd say the geniuses that I have met are linguistically gifted no matter what field they are in.
Not saying I am a genius myself. That'd be boastful, since I haven't accomplished anything worth noting.
I agree with Disregard that the opinions of other people are indeed important, as well.

I'd debate the generalisation regarding savants
The Stephen Wiltshire Gallery - Drawings, paintings and prints