User Tag List

First 210111213 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    all you need to do is listen to Art Tatum. he was an incredible genius, enough so as to defy any explanation.
    listen to Art Tatum solo masterpieces on youtube...
    yer welcome @Mole !
    I think Art Tatum is incredible, INCREDIBLE!, beyond compare,
    but i believe that genius comes from within you.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

The amount of consensus in something non-practical annoys me. If genius is dead then this thread is dead, because it contains genius. Is this thread dead?

Quote Originally Posted by Alomoes View Post
    The amount of consensus in something non-practical annoys me. If genius is dead then this thread is dead, because it contains genius. Is this thread dead?
    This thread only contains the idea of genius.

Twixt the cup and the lip there is many a slip.

And the map is not the territory.

So the idea of genius is not genius, just as the famous painting of a pipe tells us, This is not a pipe.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Apparently I am a genius (I was tested and deduced to be one when I was 5), but I have never produced anything of significance, I am easy to overwhelm in a debate and I am a social reject. So what does that tell you?

Firstly that genius is not uniform; the stereotypical vision of genius is of a dishevelled physic nerd. I do believe that to change the world, you need to have IQ above about 120, but there are many different types of intelligence as well (I actually have average verbal intelligence at best, and struggle to express myself vocally). Secondly, innate talent is not enough to succeed. You also need a strong work ethic, self-belief...and perhaps as much as anything else...something to say. A real longing to express yourself through your work. Maybe this sounds a bit too much like an artist's perspective but I believe the above holds true for great scientists and inventors as well. Thirdly, genius needs to be nurtured. None of us exist in a vacuum, and if you lack the resources and guidance to make use of your talents, life will be miserable.

Anyway that's just my take.
    Likes Yaru liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Apparently I am a genius (I was tested and deduced to be one when I was 5), but I have never produced anything of significance, I am easy to overwhelm in a debate and I am a social reject. So what does that tell you?

Firstly that genius is not uniform; there is a stereotypical conception of genius that doesn't fit everybody. I do believe that to change the world, you need to have IQ above about 120, but there are many different types of intelligence as well (I actually have average verbal intelligence at best, and struggle to express myself vocally). Secondly, innate talent is not enough to succeed. You also need a strong work ethic, self-belief...and perhaps as much as anything else...something to say. A real longing to express yourself through your work. Maybe this sounds a bit too much like an artist's perspective but I believe the above holds true for great scientists and inventors as well. Thirdly, genius needs to be nurtured. None of us exist in a vacuum, and if you lack the resources and guidance to make use of your talents, life will be miserable.

Anyway that's just my take.
    This.

I have been called a genius, and tested as one since childhood by multiple people in my life from family, teachers, professionals, friends, etc. up until now. I still don't buy it personally (I doubt I ever will), I'm too manipulative for my own good and too good of a talker for them to have an accurate depiction as well. I've learned to just take it as it is, but I honestly think little of it anymore. I've shown many things that I've done to back it up in school, but haven't produced anything tangible that's of real true worth (maybe some worth, but not what I'd consider particularly noteworthy). A lot of it comes down to effort and drive. I got the drive, but not the energy tank.

Really, a genius is something you know when you see it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INFJ

People call me a genius, in particular for my mathematical ability.

But everyone is saying they are known as a genius. Surely, the term is overused.

Our society dumbs us down, makes us lazy, takes away opportunities to become genius.

And so we have so-called geniuses, but none that are proving it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

A lot of people call me both a genius and a retard.

A genius for my artistic ability and because I pick up foreign languages extremely easily without any effort.

A retard because I can't even turn a lighter on, I make spaghetti go on fire and it takes me half an hour to figure out how to unlock a door.

I have more things for what people can call me a retard than a genius actually.

So I guess this makes me an average person.

Personality traits: a summary by Yar'Chun
    Introverted - Independent bitch
    Extraverted - Weak
    Intuitive - Creative 4th dimension spacelord
    Sensing - Dumb
    Feeling - Such confused wow
    Thinking - Smart
    Judjing - Nel mio intimo c'è Chilly
    Perceiving - Oooh butterflies

Likes Legion liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Yaru View Post
    A lot of people call me both a genius and a retard.

A genius for my artistic ability and because I pick up foreign languages extremely easily without any effort.

A retard because I can't even turn a lighter on, I make spaghetti go on fire and it takes me half an hour to figure out how to unlock a door.

I have more things for what people can call me a retard than a genius actually.

So I guess this makes me an average person.
    That makes you a person of extremes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    That makes you a person of extremes.
    Agreed. I think extremes are caused by obsession and fear of failure. And laziness.

Personality traits: a summary by Yar'Chun
    Introverted - Independent bitch
    Extraverted - Weak
    Intuitive - Creative 4th dimension spacelord
    Sensing - Dumb
    Feeling - Such confused wow
    Thinking - Smart
    Judjing - Nel mio intimo c'è Chilly
    Perceiving - Oooh butterflies

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Extremes go with genius. This is for the reason that genius holds in the extremes. Such as in artwork. When the extremes are made normal, that is genius.