User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    The word genius is part of the history of ideas. And ideas occur in a time and place and are mediated by the media. And when the media change, the ideas change.

Very few of us can see what is happening in front of us, while most of us see with 20/20 vision with hindsight. And genius hoves into view when we can see genius from the outside. Everyone and their dog can now see genius.

It takes no genius to see genius today.
    One can behold or conceive of a trait without possessing it. Perhaps when there are no more phenomena to map, nor concentrations of power to access, "genius" will be a meaningless descriptor. As long as exploitable structures, fundamental mysteries, and variations in "intelligence" exist, though, there will always be those exceptionally and unpredictably capable, whom we will label "geniuses".

MBTI
    INFJ

You just have to ask the right question.

To my mind, I don't believe in genius. I believe in focus, that is what produces results. The people able to get exceptional results are just more focused than the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Opal View Post
    One can behold or conceive of a trait without possessing it. Perhaps when there are no more phenomena to map, nor concentrations of power to access, "genius" will be a meaningless descriptor. As long as exploitable structures, fundamental mysteries, and variations in "intelligence" exist, though, there will always be those exceptionally and unpredictably capable, whom we will label "geniuses".
    The word genius does not have any meaning outside of culture, and when culture changes the meaning changes. And the culture that gave us the word genius has now passed. And not only is genius dead, but God is dead, the individual is dead, the author is dead, indeed teleology itself is dead.

But as we see, we keep repeating the conventional wisdom with all the pride of an obedient child.

MBTI
    ENTP

And not only is genius dead, but God is dead, the individual is dead, the author is dead, indeed teleology itself is dead.

But as we see, we keep repeating the conventional wisdom with all the pride of an obedient child.
    We are disillusioned with our leaders. That does not mean the phenomenon we describe as genius has ceased to occur. And the narrative isn't dead; it's serving a prison sentence.

the individual is dead
    At least irony isn't.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Obviously to be a genius is a societal thing. As such instead of simply leaving it at that, I shall pursue this and think about what qualities society values when qualifying someone as a genius.

I think society values confidence in themselves. This is something I have observed. If I doubt myself while speaking, would my audience hold what I said in as much regard? This is untested as of yet.

It is also my belief that people value those who are able to do things they cannot. However there is a difference when it comes to physical genius and mental genius. Physical genius is something that one could be able to do given enough resources. Mental genius is something that one cannot do in the time they are allotted on earth. It is subjective by person to person.

An example of a genius would be Mozart. He wrote music from the age of 6? He seemed quite confident in himself, although I don't know what he was thinking at the time. Bach was see as a genius for his organ playing. People in his time believed anybody could write music like he did, as such then he was only genius for his playing. But in the modern age, the reasoning flipped around. Now currently he is celebrated as a composer.

Thoughts?

MBTI
    -NTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I think I should mention as well, that the adjective Intelligence is different form educated.
    We shouldn’t narrow down personal value on few traits.
    Imagine this is the best thing you've ever read.

MBTI
    cyri
    Enneagram
    cyr
    Socionics
    cyri Ni

The Media! We only seem to regard people as genius, if they are in the media, or if enough has been written about them in history. We all meet a genius everyday and just don't realise it.
    The best genius you will ever know is yourself! You are the genius of your own life! Take inspiration from other genius, but you’re the genius who makes it happen!

To understand what makes a genius we first need to understand epistemology. That is, we need to first understand how we know things.

Some of us take genius for granted. That is, we are unable to step outside the taken for granted, so we can't take an epistemological view.

In the same way some of us take the USA for granted. That is, we are unable to step outside our taken for granted view of the USA. And so we are unable to view the USA epistemologically.

And in the same way some of us take mbti for granted. That is, we are unable to step outside our taken for granted view of mbti. So we are unable to view mbti epistemologically.

So some of us are completely bounded by the taken for granted. And so we just keep on repeating the conventional wisdom with all the pride of an obedient child.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

all you need to do is listen to Art Tatum. he was an incredible genius, enough so as to defy any explanation.
    listen to Art Tatum solo masterpieces on youtube...
    yer welcome @Mole !