User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    crak
    Enneagram
    sax
    Socionics
    adhd

i suspect assertiveness is something you can obtain by practise and by becoming consciously aware of it.
    really, it's the best way to deal with people.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

The way I see it:

Assertiveness is like laying down a road, while aggression is just a crazy driver on the road.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I'm unsure that assertiveness isnt just one of those things people use to berate one another, people can be assertive in different ways and suggestions that people arent assertive are often "why arent you like me?" or "why cant you do things like me?" in disguise. Similarly it can mean "why cant you do things for me?" when it is a person in responsibility and authority pass the buck for managing people or a situation off to someone else.

I've reached those conclusions because when I ask people to define assertiveness they seldom can, I've been told a couple of times that I'm not assertive or need to be more assertive and as a result have given the concept a long hard look, generally its about asking for what you want without aggression. Well doesnt everyone do that? I cant imagine that anyone other than the most timerous would really relent, relent, relent until they can take it no more and explode in a fit of aggressiveness.