User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 54

  1. #31
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Here is a twisted little observation that has come to mind recently. Most people weary of those who are judgmental, but how do you respond to a judgmental person without passing judgment? And if someone misjudges someone as being that way, then that person becomes the guilty party so to speak?

    I just wonder if a truly non-judgmental attitude allows for the human frailty in others of being judgmental. Is it possible withhold judgment?

    What do you think?
    Well without reading all the answers in this thread cuz I'm too lazy.

    I've actually thought about this before and came to a fairly Christian answer, which is surprising considering my "fondness" for religion. I believe the answer is in forgiveness and love. You can't change the way a person feels or thinks, so you just have to forgive them for passing judgment and continue to love them. In this way you try to be an example of the values you hold dear, and show them in spirit what you believe is the right path.

    "Intolerance betrays want for faith in one's cause." - Gandhi

  2. #32
    Mamma said knock you out Mempy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,226

    Default

    "Intolerance betrays want for faith in one's cause." - Gandhi
    Good quote. I'd never heard that one before.

  3. #33
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Judgmental individuals have excessively critical points of view, and so to judge a judgmental person as being judgmental is just, because one has come to a sensible conclusion.

  4. #34

    Default

    I think it's okay to judge judgemental people because the next person born who doesn't judge will be the first.

    We all judge on a regular basis, even if most of our judgements aren't as showy as we've come to expect from politicians and religious leaders. We display judgment in our everyday lives, whether we're choosing up sides for a pickup basketball game, deciding which side of the street to walk on based on who's on the other side, or hiring an employee.

    We all intrinsically understand this...we only call people "judgemental" when the criteria they use differs from ours it and offends our sensibilities.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  5. #35
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Here is a twisted little observation that has come to mind recently. Most people weary of those who are judgmental, but how do you respond to a judgmental person without passing judgment? And if someone misjudges someone as being that way, then that person becomes the guilty party so to speak?

    I just wonder if a truly non-judgmental attitude allows for the human frailty in others of being judgmental. Is it possible withhold judgment?

    What do you think?
    It isn't the use of judgment that is the problem but lack of perspective and using true critical though in making judgments. We all make judgments and would be totally adrift in life moving from impulse to impulse if we did not. None of us is going to get sucessfully through this life without judging things.

    So your issue here of it being judgmental to judge the judgmental, yes it is, but if one goes on the presumption that we all judge and judging itself is not bad, then the way to approach them is on their lack of using proper perspective and critical thinking skills when they do judge. jmo.

  6. #36
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    But it isn't judgmental to judge sensibly. It is quite sensible to judge someone as judgmental if they are clearly overly critical and come to hasty conclusions.
    However when one starts to debating someone as being too judgmental, they can counter on you by pointing out that you are judging them for being a judging person. People who start trying to point out the wrongs of being biased or closed minded in judgment, as in not looking at all sides and considering all factors before making a judgment, go about it the wrong way in most cases. They want to say "I don't judge, nor should you." That's a logic trap, even my inferior T knows that.

    It is a doomed argument from the start. You edited out the portion of my earlier post where I tried to make this point. I hope I made it clearer here. I am not saying it is wrong to judge biased persons, but it is wrong to try and say what they do wrong is judging to begin with, where go wrong is in their manner of using judgment, not judging itself.


    The best way to approach it is a lack of critical thought and a problem of being too biased in their judgment processes.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    But it isn't judgmental to judge sensibly. It is quite sensible to judge someone as judgmental if they are clearly overly critical and come to hasty conclusions.
    But the problem is determining what is "sensible". It would be perfectly natural for the object of your negative judgment to decide that you are overly critical and have arrived at a hasty conclusion. I think you tread dangerous ground when you say that it's okay to judge as long as you judge correctly.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  8. #38
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    But the problem is determining what is "sensible". It would be perfectly natural for the object of your negative judgment to decide that you are overly critical and have arrived at a hasty conclusion. I think you tread dangerous ground when you say that it's okay to judge as long as you judge correctly.
    Isn't this the heart and soul of all true debate, trying to have each side prove that they have used judgment properly to arrive at their conclusions?

  9. #39
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    It has been my experience with "judgmental" people, that they tend to hold what I view to be inappropriate judgments regarding individuals and their circumstances.

    For example, regarding a morbidly obese individual, a nonjudgmental person recognizes that that individual is morbidly obese, perhaps they'll allow themselves to wonder a bit about what that really means. i.e. physiologically, sociologically, or psychologically, etc. And they also might wonder what that would entail, or how that would translate to the individual being observed. However, a "judgmental" person would react to the same situation quite differently, (and I've come to this conclusion from having personally witnessed this behavior on over 50 separate occassions), upon sighting a morbidly obese person, judgmental people tend to feel, or become, "offended", "grossed out" and, or "bothered" by the fact that such an individual could "do that to themselves". They also immediately ascribe a multitude of negative attributes to the person being observed, calling or thinking them to be inherently lazy, disgusting, incompetent, etc.

    Yeah, I'm a nonjudgmental person except for when it comes to excessively judgmental individuals. And yes, I am guilty for thinking that they tend to be no more than ignorant assholes.

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Isn't this the heart and soul of all true debate, trying to have each side prove that they have used judgment properly to arrive at their conclusions?
    Without doubt you are correct. Which is just another reason why it's okay to judge. Every time we watch a debate, go to vote, or sit on a jury we're not only encouraged to judge, it's our duty to judge.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

Similar Threads

  1. The Percieving and Judging aspect is the only thing that can be changed naturally?
    By Illmatic in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-02-2011, 05:47 AM
  2. The Search for Better, More Elemental Definitions of the Functions, Esp. Judging
    By Eric B in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 02:44 PM
  3. American Idol - Judge The Judges
    By highlander in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2010, 05:46 AM
  4. I'll be the judge of that.
    By professor goodstain in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 12:09 PM
  5. Heuristics and Biases:The Psychology of Intuitive Judgment
    By ygolo in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2008, 02:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO