User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default How would you know if you were "mad"?

And would it what kind of difference would it make? I'm reading a book of writings by Philip K. Dick, one of my very favourite authors, he muses at length about how he believes that he was an undiagnosed schizophrenic but also that it helped him to write some good science fiction stories (although he wanted to make it as a straight mainstream literature writer and was sort of over taken with the idea of the great American novel).

There are a lot of successful people who arent exactly health personalities, some of them are driven by private trauma or being fortunate enough to transform maladaptive traits into an adaptive pattern of behaviour.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    And would it what kind of difference would it make? I'm reading a book of writings by Philip K. Dick, one of my very favourite authors, he muses at length about how he believes that he was an undiagnosed schizophrenic but also that it helped him to write some good science fiction stories (although he wanted to make it as a straight mainstream literature writer and was sort of over taken with the idea of the great American novel).

There are a lot of successful people who arent exactly health personalities, some of them are driven by private trauma or being fortunate enough to transform maladaptive traits into an adaptive pattern of behaviour.
    Please define "mad." Is "mad" more than 2 standard deviations from the mean of the bell curve of the psychological profile of the human race?

There is no law that I know which states one must be "psychologically healthy" to be succesful.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Because my family, as per my instructions, would call 911 and tell them I said I was going to kill myself and I would suddenly find myself picked up by the cops and involuntarily committed for 72 hours observation.

The theory is that during that time, the docs would notice I was out to lunch and get me on the proper meds.

It's not a great plan, but it's something. I don't ever want to go off my nut and make things bad for my family.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP

Difficult one really, many mentally ill people don't see themselves as ill, they have problems they can't deal with, that overwhelm them etc, make them depressed etc.

If you are the stage of suicidal thoughts or not making it out of bed, hopefulyl freinds and family kick in.

If you are risking other peoples lives, or get arrested in a supermarket... do strange behaviour etc then you are likely to be sectioned.

Most ill people don't see themselves as I'll I don't think

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

PKD believed he was able to recall life as a Roman centurian and was able to speak in the language of the time, he also suggested that there where either Russian or American intelligence operatives burglarising his house to steal correspondence between him and a Russian scientist he talked about scientific advances with (it later turned out he'd burglarised his own house but didnt remember doing it).

He was dependent upon family members for much of his life and earned a pitence writing pulp sci fi which wasnt testing him to the limits but now he's one of the worlds greatest writers and many of the movies and books now try to copy his style.

Its just one example which has intrigued me.

MBTI
    ENTP

most health care professionals categorise alternative beleifs are mental illnesses....

Many inatuatives (ie people who have pretty alternative beleifs not N types...although I suspect there will be some correleation), have a harder time dealing with their sanity... Also terribly bright people can have a terrible time with their sanity....

I suspect that etherial thinking has a lack of bounaries therefore can leave people free falling which can result in beakdowns.

There are many types of mental illness from NDP through to depressions... some are nurotic, some psycotic... I think both are dificult to deal with in different ways. Untill recently psycosis wasn't that easy to treat... advances in madication has reduce mental illness to manageable levels... I have soem concern over "over medicating", everything from ADHD, to maladaptive behaviour disorders.

I nursed people wiht learnign difficulties - and I rememebr a lass being looked after by a close friend of mine - she had really distrubed beahviours, she was on a medical cocktail... and her behaviour was pretty off the wall. In certain sistuation, where people are a danger to themselves or others nurses had the sanctioning to hold down patients and give them emergency medication - during one of these situations, the person in question begged to be taken off her medication because it wasn't doing her any good. My freinds perspective was one of semi anti meds (ie right sometimes, wrong others)... on this occation she weighted up the whole managing behaviour v's suppressing the person dicotmoy that care staff go trhough with long term care people... and she decided to discuss with her doctor weaning her off. The lady was weaned and her behaviour improved dramatically to the point she could be discharged into a more community living situation

Never easy because mental health issue and sanity are on a continum, and symptoms of mental health are also normal in specific bounds, it's when they cross over as becomign problematic or collecting a number of them.

Paranoia for instance is normal in some circumstance, but when it prevents you going out or participating it's a problem.

MBTI
    INFJ

I think I'd notice myself going mad when I start wearing tin foil on my head and spend my time peaking through the corners of my windows. Somebodies watching me...

I think there are many undiagnosed people with mental illnesses. But I don't think that is an issue. I think the issue is with deeply mentally ill people. Some cannot function in society.

Some people do overcome their illness, such as Nobel prize winner John Nash. He was brilliant and who knows if his schizophrenia helped in some regard. It is certainly possible.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Difficult one really, many mentally ill people don't see themselves as ill, they have problems they can't deal with, that overwhelm them etc, make them depressed etc.

If you are risking other peoples lives, or get arrested in a supermarket... do strange behaviour etc then you are likely to be sectioned.

Most ill people don't see themselves as I'll I don't think
    I agree.

I used to work with schizophrenic patients. The majority of them had a plethora of mental illnesses. Schizophrenia was just the most apparent. They never thought that they were mentally ill. When most of them were admitted into the State Hospital they were forced there by either their families or consistently by the police. They never believed what people were telling them. I cannot imagine to live in such a frightening world as some of the patients I encountered.
    "It is not length of life, but depth of life." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Thought breeds thought." ~ Henry David Thoreau

Senior Member ObliviousExistence's Avatar
    MBTI
    loco
    Enneagram
    5W4

I think I would know I'm going mad when I start forcibly trying to conform to behavior associated with normalcy because I have no ability to think for myself.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

It does depend of the defination of mad. When i was 18 i spent a brief time in a psych unit because i was severley depressed and suicidal. I went volutarily as i was told if i didn't i would be sectioned. If i was sectioned i wouldn't be able to leave of my own free will. So i went voluntarily. After about 10 days i really REALLY wanted to get out, i did not see myself in the kind of state the others were in. I spoke to my daily shrink about it...it went like this

Me "I need to leave, i'm not mad like theese other people"
    Shrink "We don't use that word in here"
    Me "ok then crazy, i'm not crazy and i don't feel so depressed"
    shrink "we don't use that word either"
    Me "ok, insane, nutty what ever, i just wanna leave i came of my own free will and i can leave too, right?"
    Shrink "If we think you no longer pose a risk to yourself then yes"
    Me ""
    It took me a couple of days longer to get out, it was very scary.
    I was fairly wacko at the time but not in comparrison to some of the other patients. And i am perfectly sane now
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"