• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thoughts about Self-Analysis

Lark

I know that Karen Horney had her own theories and wrote an entire book on the topic (I'm reading it at the moment) but what's everyone views on it? Is it a part of healthy growth and development or likely just to encourage self sabotage?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What's the difference between self analysis and self discovery?

I performed a good deal of self discovery a year ago and it did me alot of good, and was fun.

What do you consider self analysis? :)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I would say self-analysis is the gathering of facts by means of observation and introspection, and self-discovery is coming to a conclusion based on those facts.

Example:
Part I, Self-Analysis (more subconscious): I'm attracted to women, I was in love with my female best friend, I identify with men in relationships
Part II, Self-Discovery (entirely conscious): I'm a lesbian!

T

ThatGirl

Self analysis is like taking apart a radio to see what makes it tick. What a lot of people end up with is the ability to identify all the parts of a broken radio. Self obsession is not to be confused with analysis, as analysis helps us to objectively recognize and grow, while obsession leads us to label and validate. The perspective is in the motivation for introspection. Something people often fail to consider.

nomadic

mountain surfing
MBTI Type
enfp
you need self analysis when you meet someone who is better than you conclusively, or you did something bad to someone or made a huge mistake in some other way.

so, i guess you don't need self analysis as long as you don't do the three things above. lolz

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
You mean this is not something that naturally happens?

Self analysis is no different than self evaluation... about yourself, about your work, about your actions. Think of it as a performance review. Think about what you've done well, what you could have done better/not have done. If your assessment is accurate, you have everything to gain.

Understanding who you are as a person will help guide your decisions and figure out what you want to do. After all the first step to change is realization that there's a problem.

Lark

I've read Eric Fromm suggest that a tendency to analysis yourself is worthy of development and would counter act what he considered to be the modern character neurosis generated by modern conditions, particularly consumerism and the economy.

Although he did sharply distinguish this from Horney's approach which he, rightly I think, concluded were drawn from both her own experience and theorising, although I think it wasnt half bad Fromm has said that properly understood it is unique to Horney.

Halla's point about self-discovery is a good/interesting one, perhaps it could be the same thing, although I tend to see that as bordering upon philosophy or even spirituality were I kind of think of this more in terms of self or dynamic psychology.

ubiquitous1

I know that Karen Horney had her own theories and wrote an entire book on the topic (I'm reading it at the moment) but what's everyone views on it? Is it a part of healthy growth and development or likely just to encourage self sabotage?

Of course, Horney pimped out the idea of self-analysis; she authored the first self-help books. As far as it encouraging growth or sabotage, that would depend on a person’s competency to understand the theory.

What's the difference between self analysis and self discovery?

I performed a good deal of self discovery a year ago and it did me alot of good, and was fun.

What do you consider self analysis? :)

In my opinion, the difference between self-discovery and self-analysis is, self-discovery is more holistic and self-analysis is more segmental.:cheese:

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Is it a part of healthy growth and development or likely just to encourage self sabotage?

I'm not familiar with her books, so I am not completely sure what we are talking about here. But it seems to me that people who reflect on their life on a regular basis tend to be... (I'm struggling to find a suitable expression) more easy to get along. That makes them better people in my eyes. They usually know that other people are just as confused as they are/were and this makes them more considerate. So I would say it is a good thing, and yes, by my definition it is growth.

I think the difference between them and the ones who are just obsessed with it is that the obsessed get stuck with the problem. They don't seem to concentrate on solving it, it has some sort of a grip on them and they can't see it. Still, I'm not sure if this is self-sabotage, because they seem to have no control over this. Maybe it is that they on some level "know" that that is something they need to focus on, but just don't know how. I mean, they wouldn't be better off not focusing on themselves. They might be more easy to ignore, though...

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It can accomplish both growth and sabotage.
There is potential to determine more about one's self and make connections or create solutions from there. There is also potential to waste time analyzing instead of acquiring more from external sources. It's depends a lot on the individual, but if someone can efficiently analyze themselves as they go then perhaps they are ahead of the game in a way.

I'm in a self-analysis loop that was beneficial at the start, but has turned into sabotage. There needs to be an emergency shut down button. Hm.

MagnifaSnail

MBTI Type
INxP
Enneagram
5w4
I would say self-analysis is the gathering of facts by means of observation and introspection, and self-discovery is coming to a conclusion based on those facts.

Example:

I wouldn't say that self-analysis is more sub-consciousness, indeed it takes increased self awareness to detach oneself enough to evaluate and judge his/her subconscious or instinctual behavior and interactions. I'd agree though that "self-discovery" is using self-analysis to meet a goal, change oneself, or cement some particular quality one perceives of him/herself into certainty/untruth.