• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Semantic paraphasia?

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have always noticed that my boyfriend often uses "wrong" words, that are not really fitting in a certain context (semantically related), but it is possible to understand him.
I always thought he might just be stupid/dumb, but the thing is that I consider him to be really intelligent otherwise.
I have come across this term "semantic paraphasia", but I don't know if this really fits....because the "errors" he makes are not as extreme such as saying "table" when he wants to say "chair", but rather....
....something like saying "hat" instead of "cap", when I'm sure he knows the difference..... it is really worst with verbs...

does anyone of you have experience with something like this?

sculpting

so two things:

I do this sort of thing sometimes. I will use very generic or even incorrect words. I dont really have a function outside of Te that gives structure, and my tert Te is actually quite poor at even that.

I babble, will make up words sometimes-I mixed dawdle and wonder and said dwadle one day. I wouldnt call it any sort of handicap, much like my housekeeping skills, I regard it as a personality quirk.

Something I have noticed-many INFJs are exceptional at picking up on grammar mistakes and love playing with words almost as much as ENTPs. Perhaps you notice his incorrect usage more than most other folks?

I dunno, just a thought.

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My ISTP brother does this. He is um, "creative" with the English language. haha My brother is really intelligent, and is actually a great writer. It's when he's speaking that he says weird things. It's not a bad thing though. The stuff he says is hilarious, and he's had some pretty golden ones...things that are quoted years later and are inside jokes in my family. I think the way he stretches how words can be used is pretty fun.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I have come across this term "semantic paraphasia", but I don't know if this really fits....because the "errors" he makes are not as extreme such as saying "table" when he wants to say "chair", but rather....
....something like saying "hat" instead of "cap", when I'm sure he knows the difference..... it is really worst with verbs...

There is a difference between these two words?

That's actually a really confusing comparison...

"Baseball cap" versus "Baseball hat"

"Marker cap" versus "Marker hat"

"Kneecap" versus "Kneehat"

etc.

MBTI Type
INFJ
so two things:

I do this sort of thing sometimes. I will use very generic or even incorrect words. I dont really have a function outside of Te that gives structure, and my tert Te is actually quite poor at even that.

I babble, will make up words sometimes-I mixed dawdle and wonder and said dwadle one day. I wouldnt call it any sort of handicap, much like my housekeeping skills, I regard it as a personality quirk.

Something I have noticed-many INFJs are exceptional at picking up on grammar mistakes and love playing with words almost as much as ENTPs. Perhaps you notice his incorrect usage more than most other folks?

I dunno, just a thought.

Hihihi, you're ABSOULTELY right about the INFJ and picking up on grammar mistakes-thing :).... Yes, that's really true for me..... I call myself "the word police" :).... But I don't know people who do this, apart from my bf.... and, erm, it's not that I just know 2 people or so.....but you really got me with this INFJ-word-police-thing :cheese:

sculpting

^^ It's something about Ti mixed up with Nie/Ne maybe???-Several of our Tech writers are INFJs. Also one of my friends is an INFJ and her and another friend who is an ENTP will spend hours emailing each with with funny plays on words.

There was a book published recently-elegance of the hedgehog. I kinda thought the author seemed INFJ. Take a peek and see if it resonates.

I