Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Default Dyslexia IS a gift, It is NOT a disability

As something i feel very passionately about, i have the need to start a thread about Dyslexia and the fact that it is a gift.
    I am not dyslexic although i sometimes wish i were, i feel this way because of the journey i have taken in understanding what dyslexia is and means.
    I have a ten year old son who is (severley) dyslexic. He scores above average in iq tests despite the fact that (until recently) his reading age was 6 and writing age was approx 5 (or ungraded). In all his visual/spatial tests he has consistantly scored in the "gifted" range. I don't need a test to see that my son is gifted. At the age of three the nursery staff brough in 100 piece jigsaw puzzles for him to do as the 12 piece ones did not challange him, infact the 100 piece ones were still not very challanging. At the age of 6 he still could not write his name, until just recently he still reversed and mixed the letters in his name.
    He is incredibly creative and at the age of 5 could independantly do complex lego sets for 12+ year olds using the visual instructions.
    He also has amazing abilities in many other areas, he is a total whizz at chess amoungst other things.
    The school he was in (i took him out) humiliated him and it got to the point that he would cry and get stomach aches every morning befor we even set out.

Ok, so thats my personal experience regarding my son, i also know many other dyslexics (including other family relations) and have since done some research on the topic.

My gripe is this, in the majority (not all) of schools

School education systems are archaic in their teaching styles, they are consistantly letting down up to 10% of the population in their inability to educate dyslexic children in literacy and they inadvertantly discriminate against them.
    It is not just schools but work places too.
    The reason this grates my very being so much is that by doing this fail to see the giftedness of dyslexic individuals.
    Non dyslexics have a lot to learn.

I know people are starting to understand but many people still see dyslexia as a learning dissability instead of learning difference.
    Infact the style suited to teaching a dyslexic child is also suited to all children and actually achieves higher literacy/numeracy results in ALL children. It is not the children themselves that have the problem but merely an outdated schooling system failing to keep up with giftedness.

YouTube - dysTalk Talks Dyslexia Disability Or Gift

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAlO0nEZfIA"][/YOUTUBE]
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Oh yes! I'd like to ask peoples views on this, personal experience, views as a teacher maybe? Does anyone disagree
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

I just can't help but mention that just because your son seems to be exceptional in certain fields does not necessarily mean that it is his dyslexia that made him exceptional; it's possible that they are entirely coincidental and unrelated. Alternatively, it could be a case of him naturally spending more time and energy developing his non-academic abilities, much like how blind people tend to have exceptionally sharp hearing.

Whether dyslexia is a gift, a disability or something altogether different, I cannot claim to know for sure. One thing I can be certain of, however, is that the real gift your son has, and that is having a loving and nurturing person such as you for a parent. He's a lucky kid.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I agree, beign intellectual has nothing to do with being either dyslexic or not.

If there is truth that the method of teaching dyslexic children is also more effective than the standard when teaching regular children. Then that is an interesting point.

But wishing you were dyslexic isn't going to make you smarter. :P

I see dyslexia as a disfunction that just can be dealt with. Much like a paralized person in a wheelchair. He can't walk like normal people, but by the gods is he racing around on those wheels, twice as fast as other people! If you catch my drift.

Both my sister and my father are dyslexic.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

It seems that, like autism, dyslexia can come with both profound gifts as well as disabilities. There's no getting around the fact that dyslexia makes learning to read a challenge requiring fine-tuned educational attention. It can be worked through and as you say schools are not doing a great job of that right now.

I like how Ari Ne'eman approaches this issue as it pertains to autism. I think it can apply to dyslexia as well. It is a disability, not a tragedy. It can be treated, but it is a different way of being wired, not a disease to be cured.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

ADHD is also a double edged sword.

Some people have it so bad that they have serious issues relating to others even on simple terms.

Others have it bad enough to where their learning will be anything but conventional, and yet they manage to express their intelligence in other ways.

Personally, I don't the term "learning disability" as it is derogatory.

Wouldn't a term like "learning modality" be just as effective in identifying that a person's methods of taking in, processing, and communicating back information are different than those "under the bell curve" and not label them as having a "disability?"

Good for you for helping your son as you have, and for recognizing his abilities. I think that's awesome.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I agree that dyslexia, like other non-typical kinds of wiring, can be both a gift and a disability. Many a good/bad thing has a flip side.

Society/culture kind of determines what is disabling. It's likely that, in a society without written language, only the good things from dyslexia would ever show up.

Some of these traits are sort of like being born in the wrong time/place.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    School education systems are archaic in their teaching styles, they are consistantly letting down up to 10% of the population in their inability to educate dyslexic children in literacy and they inadvertantly discriminate against them.
    It is not just schools but work places too.
    The reason this grates my very being so much is that by doing this fail to see the giftedness of dyslexic individuals.
    Non dyslexics have a lot to learn.

I know people are starting to understand but many people still see dyslexia as a learning dissability instead of learning difference.
    Infact the style suited to teaching a dyslexic child is also suited to all children and actually achieves higher literacy/numeracy results in ALL children. It is not the children themselves that have the problem but merely an outdated schooling system failing to keep up with giftedness.
    It's the people holding up the system. There isn't enough manpower to cater to every need and people tend to take the easy way out. The people who do try to make a difference might be a minority. Unfortunately, it's the children who have difficulties that have to suffer.

I don't see dyslexia as being a gift but I can agree that it's not a disability that necessarily prevents you from having a fulfilling life. Neither is it an indicator of unintelligence. It's the trouble with dealing with it and going against challenges that shape the person and makes them see things from different aspects to best deal with dyslexia and try to have a fulfilling life.

Quote Originally Posted by visaisahero View Post
    One thing I can be certain of, however, is that the real gift your son has, and that is having a loving and nurturing person such as you for a parent. He's a lucky kid.
    I wholeheartedly agree. Your son is very lucky indeed to have such a devoted and supportive parent, GemPOPGem. Best of luck.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

well said cafe! I feel the same way about ADHD. It's a disability for me in the culture I live in. But I really wouldn't give it back. I feel like I hum on a different frequency from most people and that's something I appreciate about myself, even if it means I need to pay special attention to creating safety nets for myself so I don't forget or flake out on important things like being on time to get my children from school, and hack my brain to make it do things I need it to do like focus on work when I have a deadline.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    well said cafe! I feel the same way about ADHD. It's a disability for me in the culture I live in. But I really wouldn't give it back. I feel like I hum on a different frequency from most people and that's something I appreciate about myself, even if it means I need to pay special attention to creating safety nets for myself so I don't forget or flake out on important things like being on time to get my children from school, and hack my brain to make it do things I need it to do like focus on work when I have a deadline.
    +1! I love my ADHD.

I've learned to use it to my advantage, and now accept my "quirks." It's just me, it's how I am, and I am happy with myself, I don't care if I'm "normal" or not.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro