• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dyslexia IS a gift, It is NOT a disability

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Isn't it almost more of a put down to say someone doesn't *have* a disability rather than just acknowledging it and working from there?

I don't know. The negative connotations associated with the word "disability", when it's only a disability based on perhaps old and outdated teaching methods, seems wrong to label it as such.

I'm not up to speed on all the current stuff, not like I was when I was trying to get my son settled somewhere that could deal with the way he needed to be taught, but I did read a few articles once that seemed to lean in favour of re-evaluating the current uk method of teaching children because of the increasing amount of children gaining one or another label because the system being used labels all things away from it as "disabilities".

EDIT: I should add, when my son found out he had a "disability" he then used it as a way to try to excuse everything, so it's not the best of ideas to just tell them. "I'm not going to read that, it's not my fault, I have a disability"......if I had a pound for everytime he has tried to use that lol

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Guys

labeling is just categorising, to imply that dyslexia is not a dissability is just incorrect... it hampers your life in a number of ways.

Despite having dule teriary qualifications includign a first class degree, at no point in time will I ever be able to confidently read out loud, no point will I ever be able to pick up a pen publically and not flinch about my spelling.

For many dyslexics the emotional implications of that flinch is they simply stop trying and end up in menial jobs.

For many they are squashed so badly by class mates into beleiving they are stupid that they simply give up.

For many they simply turn away from written langauge which ultimately leaves to increadibly poor literacy.

There are many condtions within the umbarella of dyslexia, the social stigma and the weird stuff... I seem to have missed out on the following:
Decent swimming classes - they happened when I was doign extra English - so I'm not a strong swimmer
Some elements of maths - because I was at english classes
Violin - no problem there
and a variety of other subjects I missed because I was in English

don't get me wrong, I was a lucky one, I was given a very advanced form of specal ed - I was regressed 1/2 day a week in primary 7.

But don't simply think by changing the word disabled to challenged or equally fluffy language that you reduce the primary or secondary handicap this conditions results in.

Lack of confidence for the rest of your life.

If you really want to know how crap this poitn of view is... think of it like this....

I want to be blind so I cna hear my music better, I know a blind person and they really hear sounds better...

What I read in the OP is a mum that loves her son, coupled with some outragious bull, ..... love your son and understand what he is going to have to go through beyond just extra English is damaging him.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I don't know. The negative connotations associated with the word "disability", when it's only a disability based on perhaps old and outdated teaching methods, seems wrong to label it as such.

That is not what dyslexia is though.

I appreciate tinkerbell's transparency about this. She has dealt with it personally. My sister still has to deal with her dyslexia every day.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah I believe I got a bit of dyslexia. I am glad to see this explains all my other superpowers. ;) (this is not the first time I have heard of such correlations)

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Guys

labeling is just categorising, to imply that dyslexia is not a dissability is just incorrect... it hampers your life in a number of ways.

Despite having dule teriary qualifications includign a first class degree, at no point in time will I ever be able to confidently read out loud, no point will I ever be able to pick up a pen publically and not flinch about my spelling.

For many dyslexics the emotional implications of that flinch is they simply stop trying and end up in menial jobs.

For many they are squashed so badly by class mates into beleiving they are stupid that they simply give up.

For many they simply turn away from written langauge which ultimately leaves to increadibly poor literacy.

There are many condtions within the umbarella of dyslexia, the social stigma and the weird stuff... I seem to have missed out on the following:
Decent swimming classes - they happened when I was doign extra English - so I'm not a strong swimmer

don't get me wrong, I was a lucky one, I was given a very advanced form of specal ed - I was regressed 1/2 day a week in primary 7.

But don't simply think by changing the word disabled to challenged or equally fluffy language that you reduce the primary or secondary handicap this conditions results in.

If you really want to know how crap this poitn of view is... think of it like this....

I want to be blind so I cna hear my music better, I know a blind person and they really hear sounds better...

What I read in the OP is a mum that loves her son, coupled with some outragious bull, ..... love your son and understand what he is going to have to go through beyond just extra English is damaging him.

The key here is finding a system that works without needing extra english, therefore not missing out on all of the things you say you missed out on.

What is Dyslexia?

For instance:

There is no need to manufacture an innate and specific 'brain disorder' to explain the widespread difficulties English-speaking children have with learning to read and spell. The evidence-based explanation is clear and simple: "The cross-cultural comparisons reveal that the source of English-speaking children's difficulties in learning to read and spell is the English spelling system and the way it is taught. These comparisons provide irrefutable evidence that a biological theory of "dyslexia'', a deficit presumed to be a property of the child is untenable, ruling out the popular "phonological-deficit theory" of dyslexia. For a biological theory to be accurate, dyslexia would have to occur at the same rate in all populations. Otherwise, some type of genetic abnormality would be specific to people who learn an English alphabet code and be absent in people who live in countries with a transparent alphabet, where poor readers are rare. A disorder entirely tied to a particular alphabetic writing system is patently absurd and has no scientific basis. English-speaking children have trouble learning to read and spell because of our complex spelling code and because of current teaching methods, not because of aberrant genes' (D.McGuinness ERI p3)

Or:

Professor Diane McGuinness explains the complexities of the English Alphabet Code: 'To learn a code you must know the difference between the code itself and what it stands for. Quantities exist in the real world. The written symbols for those quantities are ‘abstract’ – a set of arbitrary marks or signs designed to represent them. These marks are so arbitrary they must be agreed upon by everyone, otherwise mathematics could not exist. No one would ever dream of marking the quantity ‘three of something’ with more than one symbol, such as the symbol 3, and the number symbol 6, and the number symbol 21, and expect the system to work! Yet this is exactly what the English alphabet code does -- it marks the same sound in English with multiple symbols...Think how bad the English people would be at mathematics, if the written code had multiple alternative symbols for the same number, and each symbol could represent more than one quantity' (Our Right to Read)

and:

The first study to show clearly that dyslexia is due to 'the English spelling system and the way it is taught' was that done by Heinz Wimmer in Austria (1993). German is spoken in Austria. It has a transparent written code and is taught using synthetic phonics. Wimmer tested all the worst readers in Salzburg, sent to him by their teachers, and found that they scored 100% correct on reading accuracy and nearly as well in spelling. Their only difficult was in reading speed. Next, Wimmer collaborated with an English researcher Goswami (1994). They compared normal readers in Salzburg (7 yr.olds with 1 yr. of instruction) and London (9 yr.olds with 4-5 yrs. of instruction) reading comparable material. The Austrian children read the material as fluently and accurately as the English 9yr.olds and made half as many errors. A third study by the researchers Landerl, Wimmer and Frith (1997) compared Austrian 'dyslexic' children (slow readers) with English 'dyslexic' children (very inaccurate readers and spellers). The Austrian 'dyslexics' were not only far more accurate but also read twice as fast as the English dyslexics.

So, maybe the teaching system needs changing.

All the other problems, like lack of self esteem, shame to read in public, stuff like that could improve if the child wasn't presented with this teaching system that is failing many kids.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
its not the teachers, dyslexia doens't exsist in China, because the alphabet is picture orientated...

It's unlikely that anyone is going to change in the West because it would require a new alphabet to be developed and taught to everyone - simply not going to happne

got to run

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Guys

I agree with this.

My sister gave up on education, despite the best possible care, she just couldn't find a way to study and exceed in school, she barely made it through the lowest class education high school there is in The Netherlands.

My father started working fulltime when he was 15, which was normal in those times.

Both of them developped fake self esteem to cope in life. They tend to irrationally overshout in order to get their way and have quite some trouble accepting themselves for who they really are. Because they don't want to know they're 'lame' when it comes to learning, reading, writing, maths, etc. They both learn almost solely through experience. It's their only way to get ahead in life.

My father dived into the family business fulltime from when he was 15 and actually managed to get somewhere (through very hard work). But my sister sells sandwiches fulltime.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
its not the teachers, dyslexia doens't exsist in China, because the alphabet is picture orientated...

It's unlikely that anyone is going to change in the West because it would require a new alphabet to be developed and taught to everyone - simply not going to happne

got to run

Not necessarily a new language, but another way of teaching it. Like the Multisensory Teaching System: Multisensory Teaching System For Reading - BDA 2001, which was shown to improve both regular and remedial students effectively, and was the pre-phonetics teaching system.

EDIT: or other systems if anyone knows of them.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Well if it's just about teaching methods that doesn't make it a gift either.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Well if it's just about teaching methods that doesn't make it a gift either.

My son's school is for children with emotional and behavioural learning disorders, but it's called "The (name excluded) school for gifted children." ;)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Well i can not foresee any difficulty at all, can you?

Phonetically many words do not make sense anyway, the English language is pretty stupid when it comes to this. There are roughly 220 sight words that are imperitive to learn in order to begin reading fluently on a basic level. These need to be learnt mainly by sight. Words like you, what, which, know etc etc.
The program was founded in 1982 and i have never heard of anyone, dyslexic or non-dyslexic experience anything detremental to their learning.

How long term do you mean?
I do foresee difficulty with non-visual learners learning non-sight words. The English language is a crazy mishmash because it is, in essence, a combination of languages, but those languages are phonetic in their written forms.

In early elementary school, the 220 sight words will get you a long way. In high school and college, they might not be enough and if a person does not have basic phonic decoding skills, they could well have problems.

I would not want my children taught only or even primarily a sight-based reading system. I want my children to learn the phonetic mechanics of reading, even if it's complicated and at times confusing. I'd be five kinds of pissed if this area of their education was neglected.

This study was done in 2001 with only 86 students. Have there been broader studies or long-term follow up? I would hope that such would be the case before 90% of students' educations were tinkered with for the benefit children who could simply have their own reading group.

My sons are autistic and sometimes they need some special accommodations, but I can't imagine expecting the rest of the student body to have to take time out of their day to do social stories and talk about 'expected' behaviors, etc.

Those kids know that "My head is a pig!" is not an appropriate salutation. My son, OTOH, needed a little help figuring that out. I wouldn't want him taken out of advanced math because a couple of the kids in his class were struggling with math, so it's only fair.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I had a friend who had a kid in school when the school decided for a few years not to teach phonetics and go with sight. It was a nightmare, he had to get the child tutoring and switched to a private school. Once they switched to phonetics his son learned quickly with no problem.

I would be very upset if my kids were learning a non phonetics based way to deal with language. Actually even sight words get added to the phonetics database in your head and makes it easier to sound out similar weird words, at least in my experience.

OT: My third daughter is very much a sight reader, I hadn't seen a kid like that before (or maybe just hadn't taught one), she guesses words and learns very quickly. I still am glad she learned phonetics but it is very interesting watching her learn to read.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Phonics is not for everyone

I have an auditory processing disorder that was diagnosed when I was an adult.
It made phonics an impossible task for me. Yet, I never had any difficulty with reading.
When I was four years old, my mother discovered by accident that I already knew how to read. Somehow, I had managed to teach myself, with my parents' help, of course. When my mom read to me, she had her finger beneath the word that she was reading. Apparently, I learned to recognize the words without any active instruction.
As a first grader two years later, I was placed in the fast reading group because I already knew how to read. When the teacher realized that I could not do the phonics drills, she kept moving me from one reading group to the next until I managed to land in the slow reading group. Oh, was I bored! But I still could not do the phonics drills. In fact, I can remember wondering what the point of making all of those odd sounds was since my brain did not translate those sounds into letters or words.
I have always read by recognizing entire words as if they were pictures.
But I can recognize prefixes and suffixes and root words because those can be broken apart visually.
Since being diagnosed with auditory processing disorder, I have had a number of years of therapy from speech-language pathologists. I will never be much good at sounding out unfamiliar words, however. Normally, I just ask someone to read the new word to me a few times and then I memorize it.
As for spelling, because my reading skills are so visual, I can immediately tell if a word is misspelled because it looks strange. If a word is badly misspelled, even if it is spelled phonetically, I will not recognize it at all.
I am not dyslexic, however.
So, for sure, phonics is not for everyone. You may even know a child who learns in the way that I did. Please make sure to teach to that child's strengths, rather than weaknesses, if you are a teacher.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Guys

Would it hamper your life if you were taught in a way at reception level that meant you could read and write at the same level as everybody else?

Yes like my brother did for many years although he has a semi photographic memory (in images). Because he acted out after being fed up of labelled the "dumb" kid

Again yes, but if there were no difficulties in the first place because they were taught in a way which enabled them to progress at a similar rate to their other class mates...
I have to add here that in the case of many dyslexics i know including my son it was the adults that were more discriminatory

And all this because you were taken out of class because the education system could not educate you efficiently?

Were you given extra phonics? what kind of program did you do?

The thing is you have had all this bad personal experience because you were held in a system that did not meet your educational needs, what if it had?

Again because of the way you were treated, it's a disgrace

No, because i am saying that if you have dyslexia you can learn to read and write just like anyone else plus you have added extras.
It would be more like saying i want to have evolved hearing plus i want to be able to see, i don't think anyone is understanding what i am saying

Please tell me what is outrageous? exactly what?
I'm sorry you have been through so much with the education system, i am trying to promote helping people with dyslexia so that they do not have to go through what you have, is that so bad?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Recently, with things like ADHD and dyslexia, there has been a movement to not treat these things as disorders, but just as a part of someone's personality, and often the source of some of their gifts. I'd agree with this.

If someone needs bucket loads of adderall just to sit still in a seat for over 30 minutes, maybe their future isn't meant to be sitting at a desk their whole life.

Yale has a whole program called Yale Center For Dyslexia & Creativity There's good research to support the idea.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had a friend who had a kid in school when the school decided for a few years not to teach phonetics and go with sight. It was a nightmare, he had to get the child tutoring and switched to a private school. Once they switched to phonetics his son learned quickly with no problem.

Well, it's never a good idea to chop and change like that, how odd. So what was the program they were using?

I would be very upset if my kids were learning a non phonetics based way to deal with language. Actually even sight words get added to the phonetics database in your head and makes it easier to sound out similar weird words, at least in my experience.

Would you be upset if they not only excelled but they also found it easier?
Would that be a bad idea?

OT: My third daughter is very much a sight reader, I hadn't seen a kid like that before (or maybe just hadn't taught one), she guesses words and learns very quickly. I still am glad she learned phonetics but it is very interesting watching her learn to read.

She may think pictorily too, just an idea. If she learnt phonics easily it's unlikey she would be dyslexic but she may also have some great skills in 3d imaging

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have an auditory processing disorder that was diagnosed when I was an adult.
It made phonics an impossible task for me. Yet, I never had any difficulty with reading.
When I was four years old, my mother discovered by accident that I already knew how to read. Somehow, I had managed to teach myself, with my parents' help, of course. When my mom read to me, she had her finger beneath the word that she was reading. Apparently, I learned to recognize the words without any active instruction.
As a first grader two years later, I was placed in the fast reading group because I already knew how to read. When the teacher realized that I could not do the phonics drills, she kept moving me from one reading group to the next until I managed to land in the slow reading group. Oh, was I bored! But I still could not do the phonics drills. In fact, I can remember wondering what the point of making all of those odd sounds was since my brain did not translate those sounds into letters or words.
I have always read by recognizing entire words as if they were pictures.
But I can recognize prefixes and suffixes and root words because those can be broken apart visually.
Since being diagnosed with auditory processing disorder, I have had a number of years of therapy from speech-language pathologists. I will never be much good at sounding out unfamiliar words, however. Normally, I just ask someone to read the new word to me a few times and then I memorize it.
As for spelling, because my reading skills are so visual, I can immediately tell if a word is misspelled because it looks strange. If a word is badly misspelled, even if it is spelled phonetically, I will not recognize it at all.
I am not dyslexic, however.
So, for sure, phonics is not for everyone. You may even know a child who learns in the way that I did. Please make sure to teach to that child's strengths, rather than weaknesses, if you are a teacher.

Thank you for sharing that. I do not profess to know much about auditory processing but i do know that it affects my son as part of his dyslexia. To what degree i am unclear and also unclear in your case. I'm willing to bet though that you have some great skills, do you think in pictures? are you arty?
P.s I'm not suggesting you are dyslexic by the way. It's just i have read somewhere that people with auditory processing difficulties do also have some similar abilities to dyslexics in the way they think.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Recently, with things like ADHD and dyslexia, there has been a movement to not treat these things as disorders, but just as a part of someone's personality, and often the source of some of their gifts. I'd agree with this.

If someone needs bucket loads of adderall just to sit still in a seat for over 30 minutes, maybe there future isn't meant to be sitting at a desk their whole life.

Yale has a whole program called Yale Center For Dyslexia & Creativity There's good research to support the idea.

Why thank you for that!
and i am very happy you contributed a good link, i have just been browsing the site and it seems very positive, just how i like it!

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah I believe I got a bit of dyslexia. I am glad to see this explains all my other superpowers. ;) (this is not the first time I have heard of such correlations)
Brilliant and i am very glad to hear from someone who realises they are actually super powered! :yes:
someone must have been giving you the right messages somewhere along the line.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
IDK, perhaps his analogy wasn't fully complete, but the idea behind it is still true--reading is very important, and those who can't read are less able than those who can. Some dyslexics have fantastic spatial abilities that go alongside with their dyslexia but that doesn't negate the trump card of being able to read in our society. Reading is so important to our culture because it adds a multilayered worldview that cannot be replicated by extemporaneous talking.

Yes, learning to read and write is very important, So why would anyone dyslexic not want to use a style of learning that enabled them to read and write as easily as anyone else?
And why would anyone non dyslexic not want to be taught in a learning style that would benefit them more than the current style?
It just dosn't make sense to me, i do not understand why so many people seem so against this, i really feel a whole lot of negativity in here.
I am surprised actually, i though i would see a lot more open mindedness.

People who can't read fluently are labouring away at the exercise of reading rather than performing an automatic activity that lets them think about the message within the words themselves. It's a disability because their brain is working to decode rather than analyze the thoughts behind the words.

But is it a disibility if they can easily learn to read and write if taught in a way that would also benefit many other children?

If you can get him to read fluently in another way, awesome, but I'm with Elaur that it might be harmful to tell him he's "gifted" without adding the "disabled" in other areas part.
Why would it be wrong to tell a gifted person they are gifted? He's cathcing up so fast with this program that i believe within a year he may surpass his peers, what would make anyone think thats a disibility?

Just stress the fact that we all have weaknesses and strengths and we all need to address our weaknesses... I don't see what the big deal is with telling your son he has a weakness. It seems like a recipe for a harsh encounter with reality when he's older and he needs to have reading nailed down firmly in order to succeed (which would require working harder for it than other students).
Equally we need to address our strengths.
My son and I are currently, on a daily basis addressing what you refer to as "weaknesses". I actually do not interpret it as a weakness. With the style of learning we are using he is whizzing ahead with relatively no effort. The weakness is in the main eduactional system of learning.
Where is the problem?