User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Gem, I don't think anyone is out to take down your thoughtful points, and absolutely, you seem like a mother with a lot of heart for her son. I admire that, and I think he's a lucky guy.

I do think you might be a little emotionally connected to this discussion, and therefore missing some of the points people are making.

You keep saying "read the posts" but your points--the points you're bringing up--hinge on the idea of dyslexia being a disability. This is why people are frustrating you, and why a lot of people have left the discussion.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ

So... do you want us to teach our kids that dyslexics are better than they (our kids) are?
    wails from the crypt.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Gem, I don't think anyone is out to take down your thoughtful points, and absolutely, you seem like a mother with a lot of heart for her son. I admire that, and I think he's a lucky guy.

I do think you might be a little emotionally connected to this discussion, and therefore missing some of the points people are making.

Of course i am emotionall attached, i am an enfp

What points would you like me to seriously consider?

You keep saying "read the posts" but your points--the points you're bringing up--hinge on the idea of dyslexia being a disability. This is why people are frustrating you, and why a lot of people have left the discussion.
    Because it's not a disibility, people with dyslexia have have been treated terribly by a failing education system when it's not necessary
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    For anyone interested, the following is an article on the prevalence of dyslexic entrepreneurs.
    Entrepreneurship Closely Linked to Dyslexia

That was interesting, especially the part about the reason for the US having more dyslexic Entrepreneurs than the UK, because of the education intervention.

When I was first starting down the road of understanding my son's problems, everything worthwhile that could help, was coming from the US, who are far ahead of us in this field.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Is this another Fi thread?

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Is this another Fi thread?
    We're special like that.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    We're special like that.
    Is Fi a disability?

MBTI
    ENTP

Guys - wh think dyslexia is great...

You can't educate people out of dyslexia, I love the concept of teaching 4 or 5 years hot house, but I was there - it doesn't work - it shows a real ignorance about what you are talking about.

I was given seriously supportive education - massive in comparision to the fashion of the day (lets face I got really lucky). I was tested by an Educational psycologist every single year to measure my English aptituted against my intellengce, I guess I was a bit of a lab rat, because I can say for sure I was probably the only kid in the city given as MUCH attention as I got.

At 11 I was then regressed back to primary 1 and re-taught all of the English caruculum.

PLEASE dont' delude yoruselves that hot house teachign has impact, it helps it doens't solve, and it realyl doens't take the problems away.

Every dyslexic has to find coping mechanisims for really normal things that they find challenging.

For some kids I was educated with the issue was more a result of lack of ability to prounounce simple words - because they were realatively poor backgrounds. 5% of all the dyslexics during my education were dead by the time they were 25 with brain tumours.

And thats just with English, the issues are SO much broader, poor hand eye co-ordination stumps many dyslexics away from playign sports.

I once got into a car with a black on white speed dial - and nearly freaked out it was so difficult to read (and I seriously didn't buy into the colour screens).

It's clear that there is a fair chunk of people who really don't GET IT, it's not about a child obessing about the area of their ability that is just not functioning properly, the imbalance of picking at your own weakenesses can cripple kids for life.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Because it's not a disibility, people with dyslexia have have been treated terribly by a failing education system when it's not necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    As a disorder unto itself, Dyslexia is appreciated as having a clinical basis for diagnosis. While I'm uncertain as to your offered pairing of superior intellect with those who suffer from Dyslexia, I can assure you that it retains a neurological contrast between those who suffer from it and those who do not.
    If a disability it isn't, why then does Dyslexia have a clinically-supported neurological term defining its behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    For one, discrimination against Dyslexia is illegal under the Disability Discrimination Act in the UK. It is considered unlawful to harbor bias on the basis of Dyslexia, as it applies to occupational duties. It's clear that such legal precedent exists to protect those from unfair judgment as a result of their condition.
    Why then does it retain legal support protecting those who suffer from it from indemnity?

Perhaps the issue is one of semantic context. I've enclosed the Merriam-Webster definition for 'disability'.

dis?a?bil?i?ty??/?d?s??b?l?ti/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [dis-uh-bil-i-tee] Show IPA
    –noun, plural -ties for 2. 1. lack of adequate power, strength, or physical or mental ability; incapacity.
    2. a physical or mental handicap, esp. one that prevents a person from living a full, normal life or from holding a gainful job.
    3. anything that disables or puts one at a disadvantage: His mere six-foot height will be a disability in professional basketball.
    4. the state or condition of being disabled.
    5. legal incapacity; legal disqualification.
    Dyslexia is, from legal and scientific perspectives, a disability.

Whether or not we individually choose to accept this fact is up to us.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Are you saying it's not a disability, or are you saying your son isn't one of THOSE disabled people?