First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    He is not "brilliant" in all areas. His dyslexia is what makes him gifted in certain areas so yes for his giftedness dyslexia is a good thing. Why is that so hard for people to understand.
    How does his dyslexia lead to being gifted in certain areas, exactly?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Oh godness, i will have to come back to you on this one, my head is spinning from all i have posted today. If you do not understand dyslexia and dyslexic thinking already i will have to think it all out and plan a response that will be easy to understand, at the moment i need sleep.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I'm starting to think that what she is trying to say is that having dyslexia is just a different way to take in the world and it's not a bad way, it's just a different way.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Disability has nothing intrinsic to do with the person. It only has to do with how they interact with greater society. Everyone has their own challenges, and words are just words. They only have meaning if you give them meaning.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    yes i understand this, it's called turn of phrase. When i said i was "laughing my head off" my child became anxious and upset and kept repeating "it's not really coming off?" and checking my head. Ambiguity is not a strongpoint.

NB* it took me ages to reply to this, then i lost the page and with it all i had typed, i have redone it, it took another age, i am frustrated and bored of typing-ugh!
    We have more of a problem with them thinking of things literally and laughing at serious figurative things. Songs at church are especially amusing.

Obviously Dolch words do simply have to be memorized and that, AFAIK, is how they are normally taught, but they are taught alongside phonics, which I think, for most kids, is a good thing.

Back when the Dolch thing first came out in the forties, the sight method was taught to my uncle. It did not work at all well for him and my mother, his little sister by five years, said she was reading better than him very early on. He eventually taught himself how to sound out words as an adult, but for years you can imagine how stupid he felt for being unable to read. Kind of like dyslexic kids probably feel when they are not taught in a way that works for them.

IMO, if a particular method isn't working, it should be changed. If it's working pretty well for most kids, then there isn't a huge reason to change it. If it works for some kids for whom the traditional method is not working, it should be taught to those children. Broad changes should only be made after a reasonably thorough study of effectiveness.

FWIW, I think myself and a few of my children probably suffer from a mild form of dysgraphia and I'm very thankful that we live in the age of keyboards and spell-checker.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    We have more of a problem with them thinking of things literally and laughing at serious figurative things. Songs at church are especially amusing.

I can only imagine what that would be like. I don't think i'd even attempt it. I had a very difficult experience in a hospital a&e when my child wanted to poke the crying baby in the eyes and was in hysterical laughter about it. The baby was only a few weeks old and in pretty bad shape, it was awful. I totally relate.

Obviously Dolch words do simply have to be memorized and that, AFAIK, is how they are normally taught, but they are taught alongside phonics, which I think, for most kids, is a good thing.

Yes and i do believe words need to be sounded out, i do not recommend getting rid of phonics altogether, but updating it.

Back when the Dolch thing first came out in the forties, the sight method was taught to my uncle. It did not work at all well for him and my mother, his little sister by five years, said she was reading better than him very early on. He eventually taught himself how to sound out words as an adult, but for years you can imagine how stupid he felt for being unable to read. Kind of like dyslexic kids probably feel when they are not taught in a way that works for them.

Sounds like they experimented with your uncles learning, not a nice place to be.

IMO, if a particular method isn't working, it should be changed. If it's working pretty well for most kids, then there isn't a huge reason to change it. If it works for some kids for whom the traditional method is not working, it should be taught to those children. Broad changes should only be made after a reasonably thorough study of effectiveness.

The thing is we have a system that is in desperate need of updating as it is not keeping up with the needs of the people.
    BBC News | UK | One in five UK adults 'illiterate'
    (link is regarding literacy rates in the uk)
    The program i am talking about dosn't have to entirely replace the current system for all learners but all children benefit from a multi sensory learning style which it is. Words have to be sounded out, thats a given.
    I just don't understand why people are so against new change for the benefit of everyone, especially in a system that is failing to keep up.

FWIW, I think myself and a few of my children probably suffer from a mild form of dysgraphia and I'm very thankful that we live in the age of keyboards and spell-checker.
    I'm afraid i do not know much about dysgraphia but i do know that having difficulty with your fine motor skills can add to it/is a large part of it, this does affect my son and we have exercises to help with this.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Ok, so have a look at this, it may explain some things....
    The Big Picture - How disorientation affects reading for a dyslexic

MBTI
    FREE

You talk about dyslexia being a gift, then you go on to complain about the inequality and hardships endured by those who have dyslexia. I don't buy it.

Dyslexia makes life harder, just like being homosexual makes life harder. Perhaps in a different world, these things might be considered gifts; like in a world where we relied on human feces to cure some horrible disease, and because of that throwing your feces at someone might be considered a display of affection.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    You talk about dyslexia being a gift, then you go on to complain about the inequality and hardships endured by those who have dyslexia. I don't buy it.

Your not getting my point, have you read the posts? the point is that it dosn't have to be hard, there are simple solutions. Please read the posts befor making bold statements reading my views.

Dyslexia makes life harder, just like being homosexual makes life harder. Perhaps in a different world, these things might be considered gifts; like in a world where we relied on human feces to cure some horrible disease, and because of that throwing your feces at someone might be considered a display of affection.
    Again please read posts, and sexuality has absoluetly nothing to do with learning styles, or indeed ridiculous nonsense reagrding faeces.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

For anyone interested, the following is an article on the prevalence of dyslexic entrepreneurs.
    Entrepreneurship Closely Linked to Dyslexia