Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    So this method is the best way to teach non-dyslexic children to read and the benefits last beyond the first few years of school?
    I don't know if it is the best, Purely because i don't know all methods/styles of teaching. It's certainly much more effective than the current school methods from the information i have gathered. It is effective to pretty much all people who use it/are taught it, but there will always be exceptions. I know it helps 97% of all children/adults with dyslexia with amazing results. The point of the study that i picked up on, is that all children achieved higher results and none were later identified as dyslexic. Given that around 10-15% of people are dyslexic i'd say that if this method is taught across the board we would pretty much not have any diagnosis of dyslexia but we would have a higher rate of giftedness.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    It's a nice approach but i do not agree it's a disibility i think it's a gift to be celebrated!
    Can't it be both? I think it's both. Schools where I am do "dual identification" for many autistic and dyslexic children who need IEPS to help them with both their gifts and the things they may need extra help or allowances for.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

are dyslexic children sometimes exempt from doing homework? That is a gift IMO
    Likes JocktheMotie liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    The most important factor to be considered to determine whether an innate trait (or, for that matter, a developed one) is a advantageous or not is the context.

Yes thats true. whats the use of being a rocket scientist if you can't swim and your ship has just sunk? But it is slightly different and i am not sure i understand your point. In a classroom that is teaching phonetics a child with dyslexia will not be flourishing, the other children probably will. In an art class or sport class it may be different. But in life we pretty much get to chose what we pursue.

I agree on focussing on your talents what ever they be.

I'd focus your energy on instilling this value in your child rather than fighting against the big bad school system. It's bigger than you. Your energy will drain eventually.

I already do this, my son is good at chess, he goes to chess club. The same would apply to many of his strengths. I also help by doing the program with him for literacy and it is having wonderus results. We have achieved more in two months (15 mins a day plus the initial week), than his previous school achieved in FOUR years.

PS
    My mom has some form of dyslexia. Especially with numbers.
    That would possibly be dyscalculia?
    p.s appologies for all the underlining, i'm just trying to distinguish between texts. I'm still learning about how to post correctly.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

[QUOTE=Bamboo;1039613]I'd focus your energy on instilling this value in your child rather than fighting against the big bad school system. It's bigger than you. Your energy will drain eventually.

Forgot to reply to this part.

I like fighting the big bad schooling system, it's necessary in order to progress! We need more fighters to fight. I am already making a difference, the EP at my sons new school will be meeting with me to discuss the program and she has a keen interest. Those that bring about positive change should be encouraged
    And anyway i actually don't believe it's "bad" But it is horribly inadequate

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't know if it is the best, Purely because i don't know all methods/styles of teaching. It's certainly much more effective than the current school methods from the information i have gathered. It is effective to pretty much all people who use it/are taught it, but there will always be exceptions. I know it helps 97% of all children/adults with dyslexia with amazing results. The point of the study that i picked up on, is that all children achieved higher results and none were later identified as dyslexic. Given that around 10-15% of people are dyslexic i'd say that if this method is taught across the board we would pretty much not have any diagnosis of dyslexia but we would have a higher rate of giftedness.
    I think it's great that someone has developed a tool that helps dyslexics read better, but I'm wondering what the long-term effects of teaching non-dyslexic children to read via a non-phonetic method would be. Phonics don't work very well for spelling, but they are pretty helpful for reading/decoding previously unknown words.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Hmmm... I understand that people with dyslexia are not any less intelligent, and may also have exceptional capacities in other areas. I still can't see how that makes dyslexia a gift, or even not a learning disability.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Hmmm... I understand that people with dyslexia are not any less intelligent, and may also have exceptional capacities in other areas. I still can't see how that makes dyslexia a gift, or even not a learning disability.
    Can you explain why you think it is a learning disibility?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Pre-school age children

It is difficult to obtain a certain diagnosis of dyslexia before a child begins school, but many dyslexic individuals have a history of difficulties that began well before kindergarten. Children who exhibit these symptoms have a higher risk of being diagnosed as dyslexic than other children. Some of these symptoms are:

* Learns new words slowly
    * Has difficulty rhyming words, as in nursery rhymes
    * Low letter knowledge

Early primary school-age children

* Difficulty learning the alphabet
    * Difficulty with associating sounds with the letters that represent them (sound-symbol correspondence)
    * Difficulty identifying or generating rhyming words, or counting syllables in words (phonological awareness)
    * Difficulty segmenting words into individual sounds, or blending sounds to make words (phonemic awareness)
    * Difficulty with word retrieval or naming problems
    * Difficulty learning to decode words
    * Difficulty distinguishing between similar sounds in words; mixing up sounds in multisyllable words (auditory discrimination) (for example, "aminal" for animal, "bisghetti" for spaghetti)

Older primary school children

* Slow or inaccurate reading
    * Very poor spelling
    * Difficulty associating individual words with their correct meanings
    * Difficulty with time keeping and concept of time
    * Difficulty with organization skills
    * Due to fear of speaking incorrectly, some children become withdrawn and shy or become bullies out of their inability to understand the social cues in their environment
    * Difficulty comprehending rapid instructions, following more than one command at a time or remembering the sequence of things
    * Children with dyslexia may fail to see (and occasionally to hear) similarities and differences in letters and words, may not recognize the spacing that organizes letters into separate words, and may be unable to sound out the pronunciation of an unfamiliar word.
    sounds like a disability.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Can you explain why you think it is a learning disibility?
    Good thread, GemPOPGem. I find admirable your commitment to your child. I wish more parents had as powerful an approach to combating discrimination as do you.

Yet, on the topic of Dyslexia as a disability, I feel as though I must add a clarification:

For one, discrimination against Dyslexia is illegal under the Disability Discrimination Act in the UK. It is considered unlawful to harbor bias on the basis of Dyslexia, as it applies to occupational duties. It's clear that such legal precedent exists to protect those from unfair judgment as a result of their condition.

As a disorder unto itself, Dyslexia is appreciated as having a clinical basis for diagnosis. While I'm uncertain as to your offered pairing of superior intellect with those who suffer from Dyslexia, I can assure you that it retains a neurological contrast between those who suffer from it and those who do not.

I understand the motivation to provide as opportune and nurturing an atmosphere for your child as is ultimately possible. For this reason alone, I neglect to render judgment on the matter, GemPOPGem. Yet, from a legislative and clinical perspective, Dyslexia is clearly understood to be a disability.