Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    I can't believe his reading coach bonked him!!! As a teacher, I know that performance stress is the number one way to turn off a child's ability to learn a concept! I can't believe that was allowed! When my children got squirrelly we would go out side on a poetry quest or sometimes I would just have them play a five minute game of silent speed ball to flush the stress.

Well it certainly sounds like you are one of the more conscientious teachers. It is always very reassuring to hear there are teachers like you out there.
    The whole "bonking on the head" issue was underplayed by the school, they closed ranks and suggested my son had made it up, the class teacher said it didn't sound like something his 1-2-1 would do and he hadn't seen it.
    I know it really happened as two parents (that i didn't even know) approached me and told me about it as their kids had said it wasn't fair. My son felt embarrased and thought it was his fault.
    He was even taken out of class one day (after i started kicking up a fuss about his treatment by the staff) by the acting head and a teacher and told he had to try harder because he was making the teachers look like they were not helping him.
    The list goes on and on.
    I seriously thought about going to press with it and taking the school/authority to court but in the end i didn't want to drag other pupils through the process of being questioned about it especially as they had to keep attending the school.

I would love to know the name of the program you are using. I actually started the book The Gift of Dyslexia about a year ago but didn't finish it. It was definitely a refreshing way of looking at Dyslexia.

It that same one, the Davis program. My son has progressed more in literacy ina few months with the program than he did in the whole time he was his last school-and he is 10.

Thanks for your support. I would love to hear more stories about your son and what did and didn't work for him.

Well the initial problem was that his previous school did not recognise his dyslexia and positively told me he didn't have it, i was even told by one ed psych that dyslexia was only for middle class white kids-what a load of tosh!
    They said he had problems across the board, which was rubbish. He was brilliant in science,art,design and very good in maths too. His class teacher said his mental maths was astounding. The difficulties arouse in any written format of anything. E.g he could not report his science finding on paper. His maths was a problem when it came to writing the sums. It all related to literacy. It wasn't until i presented a report (which i had to do privately) to the senco of the school, which showed he had very severe dyslexia, that they actually admitted he needed some assistance.
    To be honest it was a battle for everything.
    I would strongly advise NOT going over and over phonics programs, it was a real source of stress for my son and it dosn't work for many dyslexic individuals. Sounding out words is very important but most phonics programs are awful.
    I'm so glad you find the info helpful, if theres anything specific you want to ask please do. Also i'm not sure if you are aware that if your child is statemented you actually have a much better chance of getting them into a school of your choice i.e a dyslexia friendly one. A bit of info i WISH i had known sooner.
    P.s if you are interested in the Davis program i would recommend investigating it asap, i think the age to start is around 8? not totally sure, you may be able to start it at home sooner, i know that in the pioneer schools they start it at reception/year one age.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I suppose I'll go take a look then. My intelligence and memory, though, are very common in my family so sorry if I still see this as more of a problem than a gift.
    Genitically both intelligence and dyslexia are passed on through families, not necessarily together. It's worth checking out just to see a different approach. I have given the book to a friend of mine that i went to school with. She is also highly intelligent and believed her dyslexia something she would always struggle with. The book has really changed things for her and given her a totally different perspective, as she look at it with an open mind. I'm sure some people will find it difficult to believe that there is a way that works so effectively that has not been previously used but thats the nature of discovery.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Genitically both intelligence and dyslexia are passed on through families, not necessarily together. It's worth checking out just to see a different approach. I have given the book to a friend of mine that i went to school with. She is also highly intelligent and believed her dyslexia something she would always struggle with. The book has really changed things for her and given her a totally different perspective, as she look at it with an open mind. I'm sure some people will find it difficult to believe that there is a way that works so effectively that has not been previously used but thats the nature of discovery.
    I'm the only one I know of right now in the family; above average intelligence, on the other hand, is ubiquitous - especially on my father's side. My younger brother is smarter than me and reading is no problem for him at all.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm the only one I know of right now in the family; above average intelligence, on the other hand, is ubiquitous - especially on my father's side. My younger brother is smarter than me and reading is no problem for him at all.
    Sorry i don't understand weather you mean there is a lot of dyslexia on your fathers side or intelligence? or both? bit confused.
    In regards to your brother i really can't comment on who is smarter but define smart, do you mean in everything?
    Often dyslexic peoples self confidence in their own abilities is low due to negative experiences starting in school. The friend i mentioned earlier always thought she was the least intelligent in her family, funnily enough her mother never thought that. She has recently discussed it with her mother and was really shocked to find that out. I'm not saying it will be the same in your case but it is common for dyslexic individuals to believe they are less intelligent than they are.

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.

I'm so glad you find the info helpful, if theres anything specific you want to ask please do. Also i'm not sure if you are aware that if your child is statemented you actually have a much better chance of getting them into a school of your choice i.e a dyslexia friendly one. A bit of info i WISH i had known sooner.
    P.s if you are interested in the Davis program i would recommend investigating it asap, i think the age to start is around 8? not totally sure, you may be able to start it at home sooner, i know that in the pioneer schools they start it at reception/year one age.
    Your whole experience with the school systems sounds positively awful. I have to admit though I shouldn't be surprised. I was actually laid off from my junior high teaching position. Two months before they laid me off the admin met with me to tell me that my English program was shoddy and not up to par . . . that parents were complaining.

I never did figure out who those parents were because most of them told me I was their child's favorite teacher. Go figure.

They gave me 3 things to improve upon.
    More discipline/Less talk in the classroom.
    No more talking to the kids in the parking lot after school (after all we hired you to be an english teacher not a counsellor).
    And I wasn't allowed in the teacher's lounge because other teachers found me offensive!

I know that kids were telling their parents that my class was fun and we never did any work . . . however no admin ever observed my class until after I was laid off and the few teachers who did were impressed at what the kids were actually learning and told me it was more than the kids had ever learned in english before!

Also the end of the year showed that I had brought up SAT scores (10 - 25%) across the board in the 3 areas they told me the children were struggling with when I was first hired. Vocabulary, Listening Skills & Writing! And none of my students were below basic in any category in fact 25% were advanced! And these were not gifted classes! Only a few other teachers acknowledged my contribution . . . the admin never did.

So I guess, in the end I was labeled a trouble maker because I was telling admin what they needed to do to make their school more effective, but because I didn't have the masters/ph.d I was supposed to keep my mouth shut!

That's why there's no good teachers. They only keep the ones who protect the system/not the kids.:steam:

Anyway, enough of my rant. I would love to know more about Davis. I've been using Hooked on Phonics at home. She's just turned 7. And like your son she's amazing at hands on math--counting by 8s and solving complex problems, but she can't get the answers right on paper!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Sorry i don't understand weather you mean there is a lot of dyslexia on your fathers side or intelligence? or both? bit confused.
    In regards to your brother i really can't comment on who is smarter but define smart, do you mean in everything?
    Often dyslexic peoples self confidence in their own abilities is low due to negative experiences starting in school. The friend i mentioned earlier always thought she was the least intelligent in her family, funnily enough her mother never thought that. She has recently discussed it with her mother and was really shocked to find that out. I'm not saying it will be the same in your case but it is common for dyslexic individuals to believe they are less intelligent than they are.

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.
    I mean dyslexia is rare to near not existant in my family, yet intelligence is almost what my family is known for.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    Your whole experience with the school systems sounds positively awful. I have to admit though I shouldn't be surprised. I was actually laid off from my junior high teaching position. Two months before they laid me off the admin met with me to tell me that my English program was shoddy and not up to par . . . that parents were complaining.

I never did figure out who those parents were because most of them told me I was their child's favorite teacher. Go figure.

They gave me 3 things to improve upon.
    More discipline/Less talk in the classroom.
    No more talking to the kids in the parking lot after school (after all we hired you to be an english teacher not a counsellor).
    And I wasn't allowed in the teacher's lounge because other teachers found me offensive!

Oh my it sounds awful! How bizzare!

I know that kids were telling their parents that my class was fun and we never did any work . . . however no admin ever observed my class until after I was laid off and the few teachers who did were impressed at what the kids were actually learning and told me it was more than the kids had ever learned in english before!

How silly that parents would complain about a teacher that made their kids class fun! are you sure it was the parents or an excuse for the school?

Also the end of the year showed that I had brought up SAT scores (10 - 25%) across the board in the 3 areas they told me the children were struggling with when I was first hired. Vocabulary, Listening Skills & Writing! And none of my students were below basic in any category in fact 25% were advanced! And these were not gifted classes! Only a few other teachers acknowledged my contribution . . . the admin never did.

And there you have it! The end result is that the stats improved plus they had fun at the same time.
    Wow, you must have been a terrible teacher (sarcasm)

So I guess, in the end I was labeled a trouble maker because I was telling admin what they needed to do to make their school more effective, but because I didn't have the masters/ph.d I was supposed to keep my mouth shut!

Right! so this is a huge problem that we face today in schooling. I don't understand how they could lay you off, the parents really should have lobbied to keep you there, i certainly would have. What is with the fear of improvement, people are so narrow minded.

That's why there's no good teachers. They only keep the ones who protect the system/not the kids.:steam:

I agree with this, in my sons last school we had a really good teacher. One day, years befor we left, she confided in me that she was leaving because she couldn't work with the school and she even said we should try to find an alternative. I was a bit befuddled at the time but in hindsight i wish i took it more seriously.
    Another person who still works at my sons last school, not as a teacher but she works with building up confidence, told a friend of mine that she knew my son hadn't been recieving the support he should have been. She also said that she thought they were treating him badly but she was careful how she phrased it.

Anyway, enough of my rant. I would love to know more about Davis. I've been using Hooked on Phonics at home. She's just turned 7. And like your son she's amazing at hands on math--counting by 8s and solving complex problems, but she can't get the answers right on paper!
    The phonics we did was jolly phonics, we did it 12 times with no improvement only frustration. He did it mainly at his last school but i also did it at home with him at the suggestion of the school. I did this for ages, (and wholeheartedly) until i got to a point where i just had to ask them to stop because it was becomming such a source of anxiety. We now do the Davis program for 15 mins a day and my son looks forward to it. It's so refreshing.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I mean dyslexia is rare to near not existant in my family, yet intelligence is almost what my family is known for.
    Ok well i really don't know too much about your family but it's nice to be well known for being an intelligent family. It just seems that you are down on your own intelligence because you have dyslexia? It feels that way to me anyway.
    But far from detract from intelligence i think dyslexia/dyslexic thinking really adds another depth to intelligence.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Ok well i really don't know too much about your family but it's nice to be well known for being an intelligent family. It just seems that you are down on your own intelligence because you have dyslexia? It feels that way to me anyway.
    But far from detract from intelligence i think dyslexia/dyslexic thinking really adds another depth to intelligence.
    Eh, it's more something I feel I'm having to waste the intelligence on which may be adding depth in that I have to use to get along in the world. Hopefully I remember to get that damn book tonight...

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Eh, it's more something I feel I'm having to waste the intelligence on which may be adding depth in that I have to use to get along in the world. Hopefully I remember to get that damn book tonight...
    Tie a piece of string around your finger,