Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    So what do you think of the non-gifted people with dyslexia?
    Well, i have yet to meet any but i am sure they still have abilities which should be nurtured just like everyone else.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENTP

Many successful entrepreneurs are dyslexic. They have a great ability to focus on the most important aspects of a business, and brush aside details that bog down everyday ESTJ type managers.

Sir Richard Branson, founder of all the Virgin companies, has talked a lot about his dyslexia, can't tell the difference between gross profit and net profit. Guy who started Kinko's, CEO of Cisco, Charles Schwab the stock broker all claim to have it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/05/bu...4.8602036.html

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

OP... your posting sometimes doesn't help those of us with a less acute version of dyslexia.

Regardless of how smart I am it is still a bitch when I have to look over a phone number 4-9 times just to make sure I have it locked correctly; especially when part of my job requires me to confirm several dozen of them in a day. It also produces a 5 page wall when it comes to reading a book before I start to enjoy the actual story, while dry reading only holds till my interest is lost.

In my daily life, it is naught but a disability and it's only thanks to my intelligence and memory that I can function.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp

OP:
    you'll love this movie...get it with english subtitles...its exactly what you are talking about

Taare Zameen Par - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this topic has already been posted with about ad(h)d many times on this board

conclusion: these 'disabilities' only limit your learning. once you got the shit down pat, you are gonna be a stom

i just cant get over how much my parents must have done and lived with for me to be able to get into the school i got into....too bad i regularly fuck up here

MBTI
    entp

OP:
    you'll love this movie...get it with english subtitles...its exactly what you are talking about

conclusion: these 'disabilities' only limit your learning. once you got the shit down pat, you are gonna be a stom

i just cant get over how much my parents must have done and lived with for me to be able to get into the school i got into....too bad i regularly fuck up here

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    OP... your posting sometimes doesn't help those of us with a less acute version of dyslexia.

Regardless of how smart I am it is still a bitch when I have to look over a phone number 4-9 times just to make sure I have it locked correctly; especially when part of my job requires me to confirm several dozen of them in a day. It also produces a 5 page wall when it comes to reading a book before I start to enjoy the actual story, while dry reading only holds till my interest is lost.

In my daily life, it is naught but a disability and it's only thanks to my intelligence and memory that I can function.
    I do not play down the difficulties people with dyslexia encouter on a daily basis and how frustrating it must be. I positively reinforce what you are saying about that.
    I do not think it matters what level/severity of dyslexia you may have. The level/severity of dyslexia correlates to the amount of disorientation you have. And i fully believe that it is possible to control this whilst still retaining all the things that make it a gift.
    The fact that you are telling me you are intelligent is reassuring. I'm certainly not doubting that fact.
    If you thought there was a way of being able to focus on words/letter/numbers so that it is not difficult to read/write/remember things, how would you feel about that?
    Thats the point i am trying to make.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    OP:

Thank you for that link!
    I'll be watching the film, i read about the plot from the link and it looks very interesting.

I hav'nt seen the threads about ADHD but it dosn't surprise me in the least. I read an interesting book about the crystal children and it also mentioned ADHD in there.

What school did you go to? Do you have Dyslexia? ADHD?
    I know that having both ADHD and Dyslexia combined is very common.

Thank you for starting this post. I am currently beginning the quest to understand dyslexia because my 7 year old daughter has it. It has taken a LOT of effort to get help for it and mostly I am finding coping skills on the internet, not through the school system.

I taught 5th grade and had an extremely bright boy in my class who had thankfully been diagnosed early, so working with his reading coach helped me understand it better and learn to teach outside the box. The interesting thing is that dyslexics benefit from multi-sensory teaching techniques that actually help the entire class as well since we all remember better when learning through different styles even the ones that are not our strengths.

Traditional elementary teaching relies heavily on visual learning which is often where the dyslexic struggles to bring in information accurately. Many dyslexics do better in college where the focus switches to more auditory style. My daughter has amazing social intelligence (at age two she started dumping the sand from her shoes in the trash can without being told or modeled) and self-confidence. She is also gifted with perfect pitch and loves to sing and play instruments.

Her father who is also dyslexic is a gifted mechanic and immediately understands how to fix things that make most men swear. He has found his niche as a trouble shooter for an electronics firm and he loves everything about his job but the paper work! He also has this amazing way of seeing things in 3D in his head so once he's been someplace he never forgets how to get there (although figuring it out from a map is harder for him). I appreciate his amazing genius with 3D and he relies on me to pay bills, and read through legal documents so we make a great team. I also love to read out loud to him at night while he plays his video games.

When I began researching this I read that dyslexia is not a problem in societies where they write right to left or top to bottom because the brain naturally perceives symbolism from right to left (Unfortuately, I didn't bookmark so I don't have a name to back up this speculation). The article said also that dyslexics are gifted at hands on skills that were more important in hunter/gatherer and agricultural societies so I agree that it is a gift/handicap based on societal norms.

So in the meantime, I have a lot of work cut out for me to help my daughter learn to read which is difficult, but luckily she loves stories and is very imaginative so she loves books. I just hope that school will not destroy her amazing self-confidence and the moment it threatens it--I'm homeschooling!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I do not play down the difficulties people with dyslexia encouter on a daily basis and how frustrating it must be. I positively reinforce what you are saying about that.
    I do not think it matters what level/severity of dyslexia you may have. The level/severity of dyslexia correlates to the amount of disorientation you have. And i fully believe that it is possible to control this whilst still retaining all the things that make it a gift.
    The fact that you are telling me you are intelligent is reassuring. I'm certainly not doubting that fact.
    If you thought there was a way of being able to focus on words/letter/numbers so that it is not difficult to read/write/remember things, how would you feel about that?
    Thats the point i am trying to make.
    Well, it's nice that it's not extreme, but it's bad enough that it stacks with my other issues in ways that seem to only give me problems. I memorize words by their general shapes through photographic memory. It still messes up from good old human error, but it's functional enough that I don't have to spend time focusing on each letter all the time - only when it come up against new words or strange graphical representations of ones I know.

My lack of ability to speed read though is frustrating for things I want to just get done and over with, since I have the added fun of attention deficit. Every time my father talks about finishing a book in a day I feel like drilling him in the face as the same book takes me months to get through - then again, it's because of him that I am both able to read and have a slight dislike for it. If there were a better way that what I employ now that would work I'd cry.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Well, it's nice that it's not extreme, but it's bad enough that it stacks with my other issues in ways that seem to only give me problems. I memorize words by their general shapes through photographic memory. It still messes up from good old human error, but it's functional enough that I don't have to spend time focusing on each letter all the time - only when it come up against new words or strange graphical representations of ones I know.

My lack of ability to speed read though is frustrating for things I want to just get done and over with, since I have the added fun of attention deficit. Every time my father talks about finishing a book in a day I feel like drilling him in the face as the same book takes me months to get through - then again, it's because of him that I am both able to read and have a slight dislike for it. If there were a better way that what I employ now that would work I'd cry.
    It sounds like you use a couple of the strategies based on your strengths intuitively but please read "The gift of Dyslexia". You don't even need to buy it, you can go to your local library, they should have a copy.
    It's not expensive to buy but people always feel like someone is trying to con them when they are told to buy a book.
    It's not a mammoth book either so won't take forever to read. It would just be good to get a different perspective if your up for it.