Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    More sarcasim (surprisingly enough:the reason you've not had any lucky wonderfully gifted dyslexics posting is becuase it sulks... and no amout of education is a magic bullet.
    Please can you tell me what programs you did? i have asked several times now, i'm not asking for personal details only the names of the programs.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm not AMERICAN - call up the Scottish Education Department they may be able to clue you up, it was standard at the time I was at school all kids in my primary and secondary had access

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Interesting thread. This caught my eye. Are you saying that dylexics have a diiferent form of giftedness than other gifted children? or how do they compare? Do you think the nondyslexic gifted kids have an advantage or a disadvantage?
    I think individuals with dyslexia have specific abilities that probably can't be measured in terms of different types of giftedness or indeed different individuals with giftedness. It might be better to refer to it as abilities in this instance. For example one may have an exceptional ability in the form of acedimia, this usually would not be a dyslexic person. A dyslexic individual would usually
    have the following... (i copy pasted this from a website as it puts into words hwo i personally feel.)

"They can utilize the brain's ability to alter and create perceptions (the primary ability).
    They are highly aware of the environment.
    They are more curious than average.
    They think mainly in pictures instead of words.
    They are highly intuitive and insightful.
    They think and perceive multi-dimensionally (using all the senses).
    They can experience thought as reality.
    They have vivid imaginations.

These eight basic abilities, if not suppressed, invalidated or destroyed by parents or the educational process, will result in two characteristics: higher than normal intelligence, and extraordinary creative abilities. From these the true gift of dyslexia can emerge ..."

I do believe that people without dyslexia can have the same above abilities but it is rare. I wouldn't want to measure different styles of ability against each other as all abilities are good and should be nurtured.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I'm not AMERICAN - call up the Scottish Education Department they may be able to clue you up, it was standard at the time I was at school all kids in my primary and secondary had access
    Sorry? i have not said you are American have i? If i have i'm sorry but i certainly can't remember it. You keep saying you had access, but to what kind of program? you keep saying it was good given the time but how am i to know what it was? I am asking you for specific names of programs thats all. If you can't remember or do not want to say then thats fine. I can't find out from the scottish dyslexia assossiation/education dept unless i have a time period or name of scool program.

MBTI
    ENTP

There is NO programme, they are not branded, its standard remedial education in Scotland.....

Google search the scottish education department and then free find from there...

As I've said repeatedly above, no magic bullet

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

There is NO programme, they are not branded, its standard remedial education in Scotland.....

Google search the scottish education department and then free find from there...

As I've said repeatedly above, no magic bullet
    Well i have been searching this last while but i really can't find anything at all. The only info i can gather about remedial education (in Scotland) is in regards to pre college/uni training. You have said you recieved the best at the time, can you give me a rough idea or do you have any links i could try? I am very interested because i know in my time at school (beginning of the 80's) especially in primary school there was nothing for special ed at all-zip! I don't think i even heard of remedial education my whole time at primary school, infact i didn't even hear of dyslexia until i was around fourteen or fifteen.

MBTI
    ENTP

try searching for dyslexia in the Scottish Education Department... Scotland is progressive about education but I wouldn't have thought they were all that.

I can say that kids in the early 70's in were given remedial education in Scotland (relatives etc).... and it gets more advanced now, so it is a growing feild.

Scottish Government: Web page currently unavailable.

A few links etc on the left hand scroll bar

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

try searching for dyslexia in the Scottish Education Department... Scotland is progressive about education but I wouldn't have thought they were all that.

I can say that kids in the early 70's in were given remedial education in Scotland (relatives etc).... and it gets more advanced now, so it is a growing feild.

Scottish Government: Web page currently unavailable.

A few links etc on the left hand scroll bar
    Yes i saw that page but i was looking for information on the remedial education of the type that you would have recieved at the time you were at school. Thanks though, appreciated.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    And yes the controversial aspect is that i do believe dyslexia (by and large) is giftedness. I think that is what most people disagree with me on. But i do believe it, genuinely honestly and truely and i do not think this makes me bonkers.
    So what do you think of the non-gifted people with dyslexia?

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    Oh yes! I'd like to ask peoples views on this, personal experience, views as a teacher maybe? Does anyone disagree
    i actually agree. we have an ever growing one size fits all mantality in our educational system. it appears we were making progress on this but pseudo-progressive ideoligy of 'everyone being equal' has shadowed true progress and is now a full fledged 'dumbing down' infestation. what i just wrote may seem to take things astray but it's all one in the same, imo.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?