• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you have a vivid imagination?

Do you have a vivid imagination?

• NF - Yes

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • NF - No

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • NT - Yes

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • NT - No

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • SP - Yes

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • SP - No

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • SJ - Yes

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • SJ - No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
I was wondering what types could have a vivid imagination as INFJs seem to be associated with one. To define for this thread: A vivid imagination is the ability to easily see pictures and 3D forms in your mind rather than just the idea of something.

For myself, if I focus I can get a hazy, fog-covered picture of something, whereas a few of my friends claim to see an almost perfect picture and focus to get more detail into it. They are all artists to some degree.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A vivid imagination? I think my imagination is extremely vivid. But only the things of importance are 'sharp' in the images I see. And I can light up whatever I deem important whenever I want.

It's like looking at a picture with binoculars. Great detail where it matters.

Faces are usually fuzzy, but breasts are clear as day. :yes:

Lacey

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To define for this thread: A vivid imagination is the ability to easily see pictures and 3D forms in your mind rather than just the idea of something.
Based on this definition...no. Not at all. Whenever I take those multiple intelligences tests, the visual/spatial part is always the absolute lowest.

I can't picture anything in my head no matter how hard I try. It's very very foggy...and it flickers on and off, if that makes any sense.

I do much better with sound.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was wondering what types could have a vivid imagination as INFJs seem to be associated with one. To define for this thread: A vivid imagination is the ability to easily see pictures and 3D forms in your mind rather than just the idea of something.

For myself, if I focus I can get a hazy, fog-covered picture of something, whereas a few of my friends claim to see an almost perfect picture and focus to get more detail into it. They are all artists to some degree.

I was one of those kids at school who was always labelled as "she has a vivid imagination" meaning "she drifts of into lala land" Umm, to be honest i do not see things very well in 3d when i think of them, but i am able to formulate pretty awsome ideas that are generally out of the ordinary with my imagination.
In my opinion the people best suited to having vivid imagination as you put it in the op are dyslexic individuals as they are predominantly right brainers, which deals with the imagination.
I have a general Gem test with it. I just ask someone to think of the number three and ask them what they see?
What do you see skyward?

If the answers just a digit 3, then like me your probably not dyslexic.
If the answer is somthing like..."oh i see a big green three curved at the sides, it so high, it's leaning to the left/right, it can jump, i can go around it and inside it and through it, i can manipulate it, touch it and i can change it into something else"
Then by my own assumption (not fool proof) i'd say you were dyslexic and by defination right brained which in turn is someone with a vivid imagination.
It's not difinative, just my own little test.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i can just almost see pictures when i imagine them and hear the music when i am imaging music. i think i can imagine sound more vividly than images, or at least i hear the sounds more clearly than i visual imaging. also when i imagine some scenario involving strong feelings i get the feelings nearly as strong as it was really happening. when imagining something visual its pretty much like having a thin layer in front of my eyes that i can see through and can focus on it perfectly, but i can zoom in on the picture to get better view on details but still they arent in perfect focus

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I have a vivid imagination. It would come more naturally to those who usually daydream.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Yes, by that definition I have a vivid imagination. I think primarily in pictures, or music. Music is usually mixed in with my pictures. My mental pictures are usually pretty sharp. Some have hazy edges as if they were errant thoughts trying to run away. I suppose it's sometimes like a movie, and sometimes like still photography. It just depends. I also think in words but not as often as pictures.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am absolutely clueless when it comes to sound.

I forget tunes and songs seconds after hearing them, and it's not for lack of trying.

Visual memory is a-ok, but my auditory memory is absolutely horrific.

P

Phantonym

To define for this thread: A vivid imagination is the ability to easily see pictures and 3D forms in your mind rather than just the idea of something.

I don't do too well with pictures but if I focus then 3D forms are perfectly clear. I took a draughting class in high school and playing with 3D objects in my mind was really easy. I usually get a strong feeling and an idea of something, the pictures that come up in my mind are like something looked at through a thick hazy glass. Nothing more detailed than that.

My auditory memory is not that great either. If something is presented orally in class or something like that, it goes in one ear and out the other. I do much better with writing things out and then I can imagine them with perfect detail.

But with songs I can tell what song it is in a matter of seconds.

LucrativeSid

I think of myself as pretty imaginative, but when I imagine things, I do not bother with what the stuff actually looks like. That's irrelevant to me. My imagination moves too fast, like a train. If I look outside, the landscape is blurry. It's also kind of like a dream. There's a lot to it, so it's hard to explain, but with me, there's not such a great emphasis on visual detail in my mind. As soon as I have enough clarity to understand what the picture means, I jump into the next frame.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I thought everyone can do that?

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I do, I really do.
People and things are just as clear as day.

Kastor

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have a VERY vivid imagination and often see hilarious scenarios in my head.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Absolutely! That plus my reasonably well-developed Ne adds up to some interesting daydreaming...

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nope. I'm the dud SCUD missile that the DoD dropped and didn't go off, so they had to say, "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...uuuuuhhhhhh....dge, we're gonna have to shoot the aerial shot again." And then they did, and a whole row of houses and shit blew up.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
almost all my mental images, if even present, are usually incredibly vague.
this is why i can never be a good mechanical engineer.

math and linguistics though... well i do imagine those things very vividly.
for example if i'm imagining a sentence.
or if i'm imagining a song, it comes in great detail.

but would-be visual thoughts are vague and scarce.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
That kind of 'imagination' that you mention I think is more a visualization skill/characteristic. Most people do *not* accurately visualize objects in 3D. They also do not accurately remember colors (which a lot of DIYers realize too late when buying paint or something interior decorating related).

Also, imagining something and remembering something - and then being able to modify it mentally in your head as a 3D shape (and spin it around for different sides etc.) is again, a very specific and I think uncommon ability.

I don't have that kind of precise recall/imagination. But I think the way I remember and visualize things is more applicable to an NP. I have a fuzzy idea about things but without a vibrant visual picture - I more get a gut feeling about whether something works or not. More often than not, my gut feeling is right.

Except when it comes to spatial accuracy. In which case I am usually waaaaaay off.

I'm sure some mechanics and engineers can do this or did this naturally