User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you have a vivid imagination?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • NF - Yes

32 34.41%
  • NF - No

9 9.68%
  • NT - Yes

32 34.41%
  • NT - No

8 8.60%
  • SP - Yes

8 8.60%
  • SP - No

1 1.08%
  • SJ - Yes

3 3.23%
  • SJ - No

0 0%
First 1234 Last

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    To define for this thread: A vivid imagination is the ability to easily see pictures and 3D forms in your mind rather than just the idea of something.
    I don't do too well with pictures but if I focus then 3D forms are perfectly clear. I took a draughting class in high school and playing with 3D objects in my mind was really easy. I usually get a strong feeling and an idea of something, the pictures that come up in my mind are like something looked at through a thick hazy glass. Nothing more detailed than that.

My auditory memory is not that great either. If something is presented orally in class or something like that, it goes in one ear and out the other. I do much better with writing things out and then I can imagine them with perfect detail.

But with songs I can tell what song it is in a matter of seconds.

I think of myself as pretty imaginative, but when I imagine things, I do not bother with what the stuff actually looks like. That's irrelevant to me. My imagination moves too fast, like a train. If I look outside, the landscape is blurry. It's also kind of like a dream. There's a lot to it, so it's hard to explain, but with me, there's not such a great emphasis on visual detail in my mind. As soon as I have enough clarity to understand what the picture means, I jump into the next frame.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I thought everyone can do that?
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I do, I really do.
    People and things are just as clear as day.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY

I have a VERY vivid imagination and often see hilarious scenarios in my head.
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Absolutely! That plus my reasonably well-developed Ne adds up to some interesting daydreaming...
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Nope. I'm the dud SCUD missile that the DoD dropped and didn't go off, so they had to say, "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...uuuuuhhhhhh....dge, we're gonna have to shoot the aerial shot again." And then they did, and a whole row of houses and shit blew up.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Faces are usually fuzzy, but breasts are clear as day.
    Then you probably have a Vivid Video imagination
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

almost all my mental images, if even present, are usually incredibly vague.
    this is why i can never be a good mechanical engineer.

math and linguistics though... well i do imagine those things very vividly.
    for example if i'm imagining a sentence.
    or if i'm imagining a song, it comes in great detail.

but would-be visual thoughts are vague and scarce.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    GONE

That kind of 'imagination' that you mention I think is more a visualization skill/characteristic. Most people do *not* accurately visualize objects in 3D. They also do not accurately remember colors (which a lot of DIYers realize too late when buying paint or something interior decorating related).

Also, imagining something and remembering something - and then being able to modify it mentally in your head as a 3D shape (and spin it around for different sides etc.) is again, a very specific and I think uncommon ability.

I don't have that kind of precise recall/imagination. But I think the way I remember and visualize things is more applicable to an NP. I have a fuzzy idea about things but without a vibrant visual picture - I more get a gut feeling about whether something works or not. More often than not, my gut feeling is right.

Except when it comes to spatial accuracy. In which case I am usually waaaaaay off.

I'm sure some mechanics and engineers can do this or did this naturally
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari