• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Recommended reads psychology?

Lark

Anyone recommend any psychology reads?

I would recommend the following books:
Social Intelligence Daniel Goleman
The Developing Mind Daniel J Siegel
The Mindful Brain in Human Development Daniel J Siegel
Roots of Empathy Daniel J Siegel
Intelligent Persons Guide To Psychotherapy Anthony Stevens

Of a slightly more literary character:
Fear of Freedom Eric Fromm
Our Inner Conflicts Karen Horney

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you want to see a humorous movie about Psychoanalysis in it's peak, watch Hitchcock's Spellbound. It's a pretty good movie but laugh out loud funny at times with the use of dream interpretations and other things. They even had a Doctor conferring with them throughout the making of the movie. It's a good example of how much sciences can change.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Have you read Emotional Intelligence (same author), and is it as good, and very different?

I want to start reading Jung properly. Any recommendations on where to start?

Mole

Permabanned

There is popular psychology and the academic Discipline of Psychology.

Popular psychology is based on wish fulfillment, illusion and group fantasy.

This makes popular psychology immensely popular.

While the Discipline of Psychology is rigorous and seeks to describe reality.

Which would you prefer - wish fulfillment, illusion and group fantasy - or reality?

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
Have you read Emotional Intelligence (same author), and is it as good, and very different?

the undiscovered self

Mole

Permabanned

Why not start with, "The Divided Self", by R.D. Laing, the anti-psychiatrist.

Followed by, "The Myth of Mental Illness", by Thomas Szasz.

Topped off by, "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind", by Julian Jaynes.

With an aperitif, "The Laws of Form", by George Spencer-Brown.

Lark

Anthony Stevens and Anthony Storr's introductions to Jung are really great, Stevens has a good selected works of Jung available too. I've got a lot of books by Jung but he's not as good first hand, I think that after reading Anthony Stevens' introduction I liked Modern Man In Search of His Soul the best.

I've not read Emotional Intelligence but I'm thinking of buying it and reading it somewhere down the line. I'm rereading Social Intelligence, I dont often do that with non-fiction because there's just so much to read but its a good, good book.

Snow Turtle

One book I sort of enjoyed reading but never finished it...

The man who mistook his wife for a hat.

Habba

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Lark said:

I have these two books and I think the one about Emotional intelligence is better, but the social intelligence is good too. Somehow I felt that these two have somewhat overlapping themes, but that didn't really bother me.

So read 'em both, they are good read and extremely professional in my opinion. These two books seriously increased my EIQ :D.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have these two books and I think the one about Emotional intelligence is better, but the social intelligence is good too. Somehow I felt that these two have somewhat overlapping themes, but that didn't really bother me.

So read 'em both, they are good read and extremely professional in my opinion. These two books seriously increased my EIQ :D.

I got Emotional Intelligence from the library yesterday! :yes: Actually it is in an omnibus with a followup called Working with Emotional Intelligence. The first one certainly looks good.

Lark

I was really surprised by social intelligence, it could have just been the cover and were it was located in the bookshop but I'd thought it would be a less professional or big tent speaker variety book like How To Make Friends and Influence people, a good enough book but not one to rank alongside psychology textbooks.

Tycho

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I recently got a hold of 'Manwatching' by Desmond Morris.

Has anyone found books by primatologists useful in understanding human behaviour?