User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Tradition

MBTI
    OMNi

Default Tradition

What is the importance of tradition? Why is it so psychologically ingrained in some people's minds? Why is it mainly a sensor preference?

I look up the definition and it reads "an inherited pattern of thought or action." Inherited from who? What is the benefit of inheriting a thought instead of developing your own?

MBTI
    ENTP

Traditions develop because they serve a purpose; they work. Good traditions are ones that are still serving their purpose well, and whose purpose is good, beneficial and clear to everyone.

Bad traditions are ones whose usefulness has passed and which no longer serve any real purpose, except a sense of security to those who fear change.

I think it could be that iNtuitives, by definition, tend usually to look behind/through/between, into the abstract and are therefore more likely to notice when a tradition has become bad. I think they might also be more likely to actually correctly diagnose when something is being done purely out of tradition. (edit - cue ptgatsby 'anything you can do we can do better' rant lol)

But even those bad traditions can still serve a different purpose - the sense of unity/community/harmony shared between those who observe it, and connectedness/rootedness in the (presumably good) past; a sense of continuity. edit - but that can then become a bad thing when that sense of community is based solely or predominantly on the observance of the tradition, meaning that those who don't or can't observe it are excluded from or devalued by the community.

I've thought about this quite a lot because of Si being the major tradition-oriented function, being my inferior, in order to make peace with my inferior I've had to make peace with tradition. I actually value it very much nowadays, though I used to scoff at it and undermine it wherever I could.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    What is the importance of tradition? Why is it so psychologically ingrained in some people's minds? Why is it mainly a sensor preference?

I look up the definition and it reads "an inherited pattern of thought or action." Inherited from who? What is the benefit of inheriting a thought instead of developing your own?
    Tradition was important historically before people had the ability to communicate on a more complex level. Knowing that you should/shouldn't do certain things without knowing why was the best you could do, as it allowed you to act in response to knowledge you didn't have, and thus increased your chance of survival. This information was passed down from one generation to another, much as it is today.

Assuming that it is a Sensor preference, I would suppose that it is because Sensors have a harder time formulating their own patterns of thought or action in response to what they understand, and tradition provides prefabricated ones so that they don't have to.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Tradition was important historically before people had the ability to communicate on a more complex level. .
    You mean prehistorically, right? I mean, you're not suggesting that homo-sapiens was less intelligent and had less complex societies before the invention of atheism or the cellphone?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    You mean prehistorically, right? I mean, you're not suggesting that homo-sapiens were less intelligent and had less complex societies before the invention of atheism or the cellphone?
    Atheism isn't new. There were early Greek philosophers who held Atheistic views, particularly notable are Atomists such as Democritus.

But I would say that most societies before those of the Greeks tended to be less complex, and that they were much more intelligent than other peoples around them in many ways.

I would hardly say that about the cell phone, it's only improved communication speed, and made people more available to one another.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Um... one word: J.O.K.E.!!

I mean, I even put a smiley in and everything!

(another point on the athenian-is-xNTJ chart lol)

MBTI
    INTJ

I like athenian's answer. It makes sense, stop giving them a hard time.. what they said was cool.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Hypomanic View Post
    I like athenian's answer. It makes sense, stop giving them a hard time.. what they said was cool.
    Chill dude, I liked it too, I was just playing, she knows I like her

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Traditions develop because they serve a purpose; they work. Good traditions are ones that are still serving their purpose well, and whose purpose is good, beneficial and clear to everyone.

Bad traditions are ones whose usefulness has passed and which no longer serve any real purpose, except a sense of security to those who fear change.

Just like laws.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    INTJ