User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you like to give advice?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • INFP- Yes definitely

5 18.52%
  • INTP- Yes definitely

3 11.11%
  • ISFP- Yes definitely

0 0%
  • ISTP- Yes definitely

0 0%
  • ENFP- Yes definitely

4 14.81%
  • ENTP- Yes definitely

3 11.11%
  • ESFP- Yes definitely

1 3.70%
  • ESTP- Yes definitely

1 3.70%
  • INFJ- Yes definitely

0 0%
  • INTJ- Yes definitely

3 11.11%
  • ISFJ- Yes definitely

0 0%
  • ISTJ- Yes definitely

0 0%
  • ENFJ- Yes definitely

1 3.70%
  • ENTJ- Yes definitely

5 18.52%
  • ESFJ- Yes definitely

0 0%
  • ESTJ- Yes definitely

1 3.70%
First 1234 Last

The poll is pointless, seeing it has no baseline.

I feel I should give advice sometimes. I don't really like doing it that much though. I figure people can make their own choices, and it is best to just give them the information they need.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    You stole my advice!

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    I don't like to give unsolicited advice, but only if I'm asked for. Apart from that, most of my advice is usually little more than pointing out the alternatives without offering my own opinion (because often I just have none). I guess I'm actually not that helpful
    ^ mostly that.

I find giving advice an interesting exercise in understanding myself better, like others have said giving advice is easier than taking it so I try whenever giving advice to challenge myself to take my own advice if I ever ended up in a similar situation. I also prefer to give options/alternatives rather than suggest answers, people need to come up with their own solutions but if they're willing to listen I'll help where I can.

People generally try to solicit advice from me or speak to me about their choices and decisions, in a kind of reflective other style thing, mind you a lot of this is a result of work but its professionals and not just service users or clients or the public.

I'm a good listener, can rationalise quickly and establish goals, potential solutions and make a plan. A lot of conversation is distillation I find, you go through phrasing, reprashing, paraprashing and reflecting back. Sometimes the act of seeking advice isnt about the advice or question at all but about establishing or developing a relationship, getting assistance regulating an emotional response, learning something with the assistance of another person.

I can follow advice fine most of the time but I get frustrated a lot of the time with how few people I've found who can advise me, not because I'm especially knowledgeable, I've known people who are more knowledgeable but arent as good communicators.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i feel like a giant tool every time i give advice.
    Haha, I love that response. If I have solid experience I like to give advice. Otherwise I feel like I'm pulling stuff out of thin air, which is kind of fun but I feel dumb doing it.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

definitely yes, but not much if i dont give a crap about the person. allso i got a bad habit of trying to force my advice to others if i care about them.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I like helping people figure things out, being used as a sounding board. But "giving advice"? Not so much. I don't really feel like I know what I'm talking about most of the time. But yeah, like I said, I like helping people if I can, as a combined effort sort of thing.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Why is yes the only option?

MBTI
    EXFP

Quote Originally Posted by noigmn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    Why is yes the only option?
    Because I could only have 20 options total so I figured I might as well see which types said yes. Maybe if I had been thinking more clearly I could have been like Te Primary-Yes, one option, Te Primary-No, another ect, but I made it really fast and I didn't really think of that at the time.
    Any how, all the polls on here are really pretty pointeless seeing how you have a vlountary response bias. I'm just doing it for fun, and to see peoples written responses mostly. Thanks for responding everyone.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I enjoy analyzing anything and so when someone presents a problem I tend to go into analyzing mode. In my own mind it isn't advice because I have no idea if any of the analysis applies to them, but sometimes people will read it as advice. Maybe on some level it can be construed as such, but much less so than people sometimes think. I try to remember to include disclaimers, but more often I forget.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)