• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mental Age

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
apparently i'm 41

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
It's a silly test. I am 60 years old! (not really) OK. I don't like loud music or speeding cars. The test makes too many assumptions to be taken seriously.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Real age: 18 Years Old.
Mental age: 33 Years Old.

Now I understand why I always got in fights with my peers!

MBTI Type
INFJ
I am also 47...... good lord..... that means I'm 20 years ahead of my time.... I don't know if this is a good sign.....but....but.....I said I wanted to go to Disneyland.....pf.....however, it's good to know that my brain is already 47, which means I don't have to get any wise until I actually reach the bodily age of 47.....

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Mental Age: 59
Actual Age: 48

Most of my friends are younger than me, by 10-20 years ... mostly due to my work environment having a younger demographic, and me being online a lot. I do have a small group of friends my age who have been with me through high school, but I don't communicate with them very much. As previous posters have stated, I sometimes find my own age group too judgemental to really associate with comfortably. Many of them are managers ... I'm a techie ... and the two don't mix very well.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
37...9 years older than i'm supposed to be. Damn and here i thought I'd stay 19 forever :D

P

Phantonym

The test gave me a mental age of 48. Weeeelll...I might have been/did feel like that in my teens but now...:thinking: I think I'm either getting mentally younger in a good way (maybe?) as I age or I peaked in my teens and it's as good as it's ever going to get and it's down hill from here on. Interesting.

As for the OP: *crickets chirping*

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Most people here receive test results claiming that they are much older than they truly are as nearly all of them want to see themselves as wise and mature.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
this is kind of stupid.

I don't think that there is any need for the 'kind of' palliative platitude. Just say it is stupid and period. This isn't something that is possibly imbecilic or only somewhat obtuse; it is idiotic all the way through.

P

Phantonym

I don't think that there is any need for the 'kind of' palliative platitude. Just say it is stupid and period. This isn't something that is possibly imbecilic or only somewhat obtuse; it is idiotic all the way through.

What exactly? The idea posed in the OP or the test?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

ok

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What exactly? The idea posed in the OP or the test?

Both, but more so the test. The association of mental age with IQ testing was unwarranted from the start. The original tests assessed a person's knowledge of the American culture more than anything else. Robert Yerkes was notorious for creating tests containing such howlers.

Today, the examinations have improved to emphasize problem solving and abstract reasoning more, yet the exercises they offer are still far too simplistic to measure a person's true intellectual abilities or even less potential. Strikingly, the official IQ test still contains questions of basic mathematics and facts regarding politics and culture.

That is so mostly because a person of merely average intelligence can too easily learn to solve those problems by route just as he can attain a BA or an MA whilst having learned little and only slightly improved his skills in scholarship.

In order to measure a person's true intelligence, we'd need a test that forces a person to solve recondite, theoretical problems rather than puzzles the range of difficulty of which does not exceed that of common-place crossword challenges. Obviously, Albert Einstein is to be regarded as a genius because of his superb abilities to understand and create abstract ideas and not solving simple puzzles with a lightning speed.

Today, the view that IQ tests could be manipulated by their test-takers is quite common among practicing psychologists and has become prominent as one of many criticims of the Bell Curve authored by Herrnstein and Murray.

rogue1

MBTI Type
INFJ
30/45

Yep...thats about where I fit. Most of my friends are that age or older.

rogue1

MBTI Type
INFJ
Most people here receive test results claiming that they are much older than they truly are as nearly all of them want to see themselves as wise and mature.

....or maybe some people are just calm, and don't like rock concerts...or talking on the phone all night.

Food for thought ;)