User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Mental Age

Phantonym

The test gave me a mental age of 48. Weeeelll...I might have been/did feel like that in my teens but now... I think I'm either getting mentally younger in a good way (maybe?) as I age or I peaked in my teens and it's as good as it's ever going to get and it's down hill from here on. Interesting.

As for the OP: *crickets chirping*

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Most people here receive test results claiming that they are much older than they truly are as nearly all of them want to see themselves as wise and mature.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

this is kind of stupid.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    this is kind of stupid.
    I don't think that there is any need for the 'kind of' palliative platitude. Just say it is stupid and period. This isn't something that is possibly imbecilic or only somewhat obtuse; it is idiotic all the way through.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I don't think that there is any need for the 'kind of' palliative platitude. Just say it is stupid and period. This isn't something that is possibly imbecilic or only somewhat obtuse; it is idiotic all the way through.
    What exactly? The idea posed in the OP or the test?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

ok

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Sky is BLUE! View Post
    What exactly? The idea posed in the OP or the test?
    Both, but more so the test. The association of mental age with IQ testing was unwarranted from the start. The original tests assessed a person's knowledge of the American culture more than anything else. Robert Yerkes was notorious for creating tests containing such howlers.

Today, the examinations have improved to emphasize problem solving and abstract reasoning more, yet the exercises they offer are still far too simplistic to measure a person's true intellectual abilities or even less potential. Strikingly, the official IQ test still contains questions of basic mathematics and facts regarding politics and culture.

That is so mostly because a person of merely average intelligence can too easily learn to solve those problems by route just as he can attain a BA or an MA whilst having learned little and only slightly improved his skills in scholarship.

In order to measure a person's true intelligence, we'd need a test that forces a person to solve recondite, theoretical problems rather than puzzles the range of difficulty of which does not exceed that of common-place crossword challenges. Obviously, Albert Einstein is to be regarded as a genius because of his superb abilities to understand and create abstract ideas and not solving simple puzzles with a lightning speed.

Today, the view that IQ tests could be manipulated by their test-takers is quite common among practicing psychologists and has become prominent as one of many criticims of the Bell Curve authored by Herrnstein and Murray.

MBTI
    INFJ

30/45

Yep...thats about where I fit. Most of my friends are that age or older.

MBTI
    INFJ

Most people here receive test results claiming that they are much older than they truly are as nearly all of them want to see themselves as wise and mature.
    ....or maybe some people are just calm, and don't like rock concerts...or talking on the phone all night.

Food for thought