User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Mental Age

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    This is one of the worse tests I've come across with. The test consists entirely of utterly trivial and meaningless behaviors.
    So what did you get? 16?
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    Wisom is more than just the acquisition of knowledge... it's about the application of it, innit

Yeah I know it's a bad test, it's just a bit of fun. It tends to sort of equate maturity/age, which I'd say were more sliding scales or separate axes. And it has quite a stereotyped image of particular age groups. I know a few teenagers who aren't interested in big parties, that doesn't automatically mean they're more mature than those who do.

Personally, I've always taken my closest friends from the age group at least 10 years or so older than myself. I'm coming up to 33 in March, and my closest friends are 48, 61, 58 and only one in my own age group (he's 32). That's given me a fairly good idea of my mental age in some respects; these guys don't have trouble fitting in and getting on with their own age group, but I do usually, so... if I'm on a wavelength with these pretty normal middle aged people... meh.

You guys that did the test, not gonna give your real age then, too?
    Yeah sure, you've got to know what to do with it

I didn't have time to do the test before. Yeah, it's funny. It reminded me of stuff I haven't done since I was about 14, lol. I scored 47 (I'm 29).

I never really felt on the same wavelength as most people my own age when I was younger, especially as a teenager, but what I've found now I'm older is that I can connect better to people much younger me, like, often less than 18 years old. They are very accepting of me like I'm one of them. I feel more judgment from people my age. Or they think I'm younger than I am and baby me.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    So what did you get? 16?
    I wish!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Real age 23, I got 29, thank god not that high. No problem with talking people of my own age and-or younger, provided they're not idiots lol

Btw the IQ definition given by the OP is mostly used for people up to 20, that's why sometimes people speak of "adult IQ" as something separate from other types of IQ testing.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

my age: 20
    result: 38

and I thought I wasn't wise enough yet. Just give me another 2 years and I'll be double that , though I doubt my answers would change. I'd say that this is out of date now. anyone under 50 or so probably knows what a LOL is and carries a mobile around.
    5 3 9

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Real age 23, I got 29, thank god not that high. No problem with talking people of my own age and-or younger, provided they're not idiots lol

Btw the IQ definition given by the OP is mostly used for people up to 20, that's why sometimes people speak of "adult IQ" as something separate from other types of IQ testing.
    O rly? Can you elaborate on that?

One of the reasons I'm awkward with my own age group is because my preoccupations and daily life have rarely resembled theirs. When I was a small child, I lived in a very remote area with an insane father who took self-sufficiency to extreme levels, and believed TV and modern music was evil, so I grew up with jazz and classical, milking goats and general farming/subsistence (no machinery). So my childhood had more in common with that of people born in the early 20th century.

When I was 12, I had to take responsibility for feeding and looking after my little sisters, getting money to get food and stuff like that, because my parents were criminally negligent, so my teens had more in common with most people's 30's. I had kids in my late teens, and have spent my 20's fighting to keep a roof over our heads and, when I could, staying in monasteries to get away from it all and centre myself.

The world of the usual teen/20-something is something in which I've never truly been able to partake, their concerns are alien to me, as mine are to most of them. Now I'm in my early 30's and I'm financially and family-wise at the stage most people get to in their middle age. I expect when I get to my 40's and the kids are grown up, I'll have a chance to take part in younger mentality activities - though, I'll still be approaching it differently to them, as I'll have my own place and plenty of money, plus experience and wisdom under my belt.

Just some reasons there why I've always been out of step with my own generation.
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

As has been mentioned, one of the problems with trying to rate wisdom is defining and measuring it. I think IQ tests mutated into something easier to quantify. Besides, anyone who thinks IQ tests are a good measure of overall smarts (like the people who invented them, it seems) probably doesn't have much wisdom and so would be struggling to see it in others!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

IQ is a rather arbitrary measure of intelligence
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

Real Age: X, where X is a variable of integers ranging from 0 to infinity
    Mental Age: -2

!

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'm 45.