• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

SISU PERKELE!!!

Shaunward

I think I do. I think it's a big part of who I am.

Thank you for this article.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think I do. I think it's a big part of who I am.

Thank you for this article.

are you part finnish or do you just think you got susu=

yes im drunk

Shaunward

I think I qualify having sisu because I am of the impression I can do anything I set my mind to and I accomplish everything I set out to do, even if it doesn't happen as quickly or successfully as I may like. Or so was my understanding of the article.

Regarding my heritage, I'm a quarter norwegian, quarter scottish and half english, so I'm afraid I don't quite qualify as being finnish. Though I am getting a bit of a buzz.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think I qualify having sisu because I am of the impression I can do anything I set my mind to and I accomplish everything I set out to do, even if it doesn't happen as quickly or successfully as I may like. Or so was my understanding of the article.

Regarding my heritage, I'm a quarter norwegian, quarter scottish and half english, so I'm afraid I don't quite qualify as being finnish. Though I am getting a bit of a buzz.

if your not drunk and finnish you got no sisu

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
This is an element I wanted to talk about in my http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...25836-do-you-consider-yourself-resilient.html thread, but nobody really went there.

I have sisu. Oh the arrogant part is saying that many people think they have it but don't. I'm around two people in particular who are cracking and having to pick up the pieces from their fractures makes an already difficult situation even more difficult. You just want to slap them and tell them to get it together, you can break down after we get through this.

I think there is one part of this sisu that doesn't sit well with me and that's the hardening and toughness that comes from being stoic. Having sisu and still being sensitive seems somewhat incompatible to me.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
This is an element I wanted to talk about in my http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...25836-do-you-consider-yourself-resilient.html thread, but nobody really went there.

I have sisu. Oh the arrogant part is saying that many people think they have it but don't. I'm around two people in particular who are cracking and having to pick up the pieces from their fractures makes an already difficult situation even more difficult. You just want to slap them and tell them to get it together, you can break down after we get through this.

I think there is one part of this sisu that doesn't sit well with me and that's the hardening and toughness that comes from being stoic. Having sisu and still being sensitive seems somewhat incompatible to me.

if you some guy two times your size wants to fight with you and you will fight with him even tho you could run away, you got sisu.
if you go hiking and you feel like your dying half way the route and you got some easy way out and you keep on going to the end, you got sisu.
if you would go to prison for 10 years for something you didnt do very very likely and you would get half the punishment if you would confess it and you wont confess because you fucking innocent, you got sisu.
if you dive under a frozen lake just for the hell of it, you got sisu.
if you drink 1litre of vodka from beer bong even tho you know you will puke so hard that no one seen before, you got sisu.

heart

heart on fire
if you drink 1litre of vodka from beer bong even tho you know you will puke so hard that no one seen before, you got sisu.

Sorry but this is not bravery or guts at all, it's just dumb.

heart

heart on fire
thats the part of having sisu

Well, I can say definatively that I don't have sisu, thank the Lord. :D

Edit: I rethought the whole frozen lake thing. I suppose a person could do it and become tougher so it would serve some purpose, but the other is just self-desturctive and I have a sneaking suspicion the two acts probably go together and then search and rescue is put at risk having to fish some drunk, sick, frozen yahoo out of the water who thinks he's got Sisu...

Shaunward

Edit: I rethought the whole frozen lake thing. I suppose a person could do it and become tougher so it would serve some purpose, but the other is just self-desturctive and I have a sneaking suspicion the two acts probably go together and then search and rescue is put at risk having to fish some drunk, sick, frozen yahoo out of the water who thinks he's got Sisu...
I don't think I have sisu either based on responses in the thread. Don't you agree?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

what self destructive about diving under a frozen lake? :huh:

its just cold water where its not that easy to get out of. you die on cold water unless your weak and if your weak you got no sisu

heart

heart on fire
what self destructive about diving under a frozen lake? :huh:

its just cold water where its not that easy to get out of. you die on cold water unless your weak and if your weak you got no sisu

So a chicken-necked, pencil thin geek with an asthma inhaler who dies on the rack, refusing to rat out his fellow patriots is a weakling loser and a devil-may-care redneck who drinks a bottle of vodika and jumps into a frozen lake is a hero? :huh:

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is a SISU, made by Patria.

xa202.jpg

Suffice to say, I do not have one of those.
I am familiar with the expression, though, living only 130 kilometers (just over an hour's drive) from the Finnish border in Northern Sweden.
I think this "sisu" thing is both a blessing and a curse.
It makes for social retardation and extreme hardiness.
It's also really bad for society on the whole. Look at Finland's suicide rates, for example.
People rather kill themselves than talk about feelings or problems. Literally.

Suffice to say, I do not have "sisu" and neither do I want anything to do with it.
Dreadful.
I must say I really like and respect Finland. By far our most pleasant neighbor.
But the whole "take it like a man", "never show feelings", "never, ever complain even if things are killing you" thing has got to go.

It will, eventually. It's a horrible way of driving a whole people up the walls crazy without them saying crap about it.
Just take it down a notch to "don't whine where it'll do damage", "show feelings but don't be slimy" etc.

When sisu is an expression solely meaning resilience, I will consider liking it.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
if you some guy two times your size wants to fight with you and you will fight with him even tho you could run away, you got sisu.
if you go hiking and you feel like your dying half way the route and you got some easy way out and you keep on going to the end, you got sisu.
if you would go to prison for 10 years for something you didnt do very very likely and you would get half the punishment if you would confess it and you wont confess because you fucking innocent, you got sisu.
if you dive under a frozen lake just for the hell of it, you got sisu.

That just sounds adolescent and foolish and if that's what sisu is then maybe I should rethink this.

I read the article at the bottom of the wiki page "The Finnish Line." Something interesting was said It's something that develops over time by direct exposure to sisu-producing situations.

I think that these sisu traits develop when life has dealt you a series of unfortunate events or unforunately born into a hard-knock life. You have no choice but to either weather on or crumple in defeat. Some people crumple and some people manage to live on. I think it's about 50/50. Out of my four aunts and uncles who are drug addicts, only one of them managed to clean themselves up and the others have died. Of course, people like to dwell on the success stories because it's uplifting and gives us the strength to carry on. But just as many people fall or deal with tragedy through substance abuse or other maladaptive behaviors.

So if foolishly exposing myself to things that that will destroy me and seeing if I can beat the odds is sisu then no I don't have it. I guess I see sisu as being a character trait roughly equivalent to grace under pressure.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I got to get me some of that sisu, fine sushi dining.

Is it similar to being obdurate, obstinate and obtuse?

obdurate.jpg

3953380362_034a89a838.jpg

youre_obtuse_tshirt-p235274795786982655t5gn_400.jpg

Taste my sisu!
53577138.ME4.jpg

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
:doh:

Oh, how I hate the fact that Finns are proud for this supposed extra ingredient that makes us so tough... then we drive air-conditioned cars and don't know what hunger feels like. Only people in Finland who have sisu nowadays are the immigrants. I go to get a cheap kebab and it is served with a smile, unlike in any Finnish restaurants.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
No I'm not ISTJ, thank you from asking. This Sisu thing seems to have an element of tiring out the obstacles with sheer pig-headedness. A mountain will first get bored of standing in the way of an ISTJ, rather than the ISTJ getting tired of the mountain. Someone with Sisu doesn't seem like a very dynamic character. Ingredients of Sisu also seem to lack an element of cost-benefit-analysis. "We'll live in this miserable country, regardless of the climate, proximity to aggressors, regardless of prices, wages, taxes, happiness or the lack of it, UGH!"

A part of Sisu I have - I can do what I set my mind to, and I can sustain hardships, opposition and misery and still stay productive.