User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Thread: SISU PERKELE!!!

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    An Icelandic exchange student in Mikkeli was complaining of -25 in the DAY. I'm thankful it's warmer down south
    It was about -20 here, and wind probably made it -30. And this is south.

Can we have a rolecall of the general area where people are? I'm thinking about getting a Finland get-together started (And no stubborn Finn will start one)
    At the moment I live about hundred kilometers east of Helsinki. I am moving soon, though, but not too far.

Mooseflies might perturb me a bit.
    They are really not that bad. If there isn't many. I find mosquitoes more annoying.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    It was about -20 here, and wind probably made it -30. And this is south.

At the moment I live about hundred kilometers east of Helsinki. I am moving soon, though, but not too far.

They are really not that bad. If there isn't many. I find mosquitoes more annoying.
    I don't even need to see them. The IDEA of them makes be paranoid. I was spoiled back in the States, my town sprayed for mosquitoes regularly so we didn't have them often. I remember a few months ago in Spring when it was so annoying to try and sleep with the buzzing mosquitoes do. Hell there were some creepily BIG ones too! Mommasquitoes.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I don't even need to see them. The IDEA of them makes be paranoid.
    Oh, why? They just crawl around in your hair...

Hell there were some creepily BIG ones too! Mommasquitoes.
    But they don't bite. (Some people say they do, but I don't believe them...)

By the way, do you know what a "paarma" is? I think it's called "march fly" in english. Now, THOSE are freaking annoying!

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Salmiakki? ss Mix? Sirkus Aakkoset? Pantteri Mix? Dumle?

Fazer is everywhere... I tell people that if Fazer and Sokos were the only companies that survived and everything else died, most people wouldn't notice.

Fazer sells candy, pianos, bread... And Sokos is Big Brother.
    I L-O-V-E Fazer...People look at me weird when I say that Finns make the best candies...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Oh, why? They just crawl around in your hair...

But they don't bite. (Some people say they do, but I don't believe them...)

By the way, do you know what a "paarma" is? I think it's called "march fly" in english. Now, THOSE are freaking annoying!
    Nothing bigger than my thumb lasts in Minnesota, especially in the plains area. Paarma is horsefly here (march fly, according to wiki, is the term used in Australia - it seems common for Finns to go to Australia, my hostmother's sister lives there currently.), I've seen those. I've been bitten by one too. But only once in my life.

'We may not always win, says Sisu, but we most assuredly will never lose."' from the wiki link. That is the part of Sisu I like the most. It is also just general optimism. If only Finns used this more and didn't internalize so much; things would be more interesting and less depressing, people don't smile much here. (Says the American )
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

-Nightwish

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Finns make the best candies...
    I would extend that to Scandinavia. You know Haribo?

march fly, according to wiki, is the term used in Australia
    Ah, makes sence. An australian told me that it was called that...

'We may not always win, says Sisu, but we most assuredly will never lose."' from the wiki link. That is the part of Sisu I like the most. It is also just general optimism. If only Finns used this more and didn't internalize so much; things would be more interesting and less depressing, people don't smile much here. (Says the American )
    Optimism isn't the first thing that comes to mind. A man with a pick on a stony field may have sisu, but he definitely isn't smiling.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Ah, makes sence. An australian told me that it was called that...

Optimism isn't the first thing that comes to mind. A man with a pick on a stony field may have sisu, but he definitely isn't smiling.
    He's a Finn, and at least on Wednesdays and weekends he's drunk. So for nearly half the time he's smiling

-Nightwish

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yeah, I know Haribo and I'd agree about Scandinavian candies generally. Actually, I love the food generally. Fresh and tasty, lovely rye breads and mmmmmm... *food reverie*
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Yeah, I know Haribo and I'd agree about Scandinavian candies generally. Actually, I love the food generally. Fresh and tasty, lovely rye breads and mmmmmm... *food reverie*
    Makaronilaatiko, perferably with overcooked meat and nothing on it. A Finnish staple

Finnish rye bread is great, though. That and candy is what I like eating here, after that its kinda... bland.

-Nightwish

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Makaronilaatiko, perferably with overcooked meat and nothing on it. A Finnish staple

Finnish rye bread is great, though. That and candy is what I like eating here, after that its kinda... bland.
    Finnish food reminds me of my childhood when we used to come over to visit my grandmother - she gave me and my brother a big slice of makaraa voi leipaa every night...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING