User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: SISU PERKELE!!!

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I think there is one part of this sisu that doesn't sit well with me and that's the hardening and toughness that comes from being stoic. Having sisu and still being sensitive seems somewhat incompatible to me.
    Not necessarily incompatible. I think it depends on the hardships and the individual facing the failures and overcoming them. Some people let the long term disillusionment or whatever influence them that they do lose the sensitivity to a great degree. It's a part of their defense against possible future failures. But some people do retain their sensitivity regardless of the hardships. I don't know, it's difficult to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    This Sisu thing seems to have an element of tiring out the obstacles with sheer pig-headedness.
    Yes, my thoughts exactly. But with some things it's a good thing while with others it's something undesirable. You can be stupid and obstinate about a lot of things just because you can.

MBTI
    XXFP

I saw this great clip from Top Gear that mentioned this.

That said, the definition of sisu I heard is more about NOT doing stupid stuff, but mustering courage to complete a task.

YouTube - Top Gear Mika Hakkinen

The specifically start talking about sisu at 5:30 or so, but watch the whole clip it's good entertainment.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

but really, this (in video) is only sort of sisu.

"However sisu is defined by a long-term element in it; it is not momentary courage, but the ability to sustain an action against the odds. Deciding on a course of action and the sticking to that decision against repeated failures is sisu."

that said, learning to drive like that takes sustained training...
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Oh, I just thought Perrrrkele (You HAVE to megaroll that R. Dü it laik a Sköhttsman!) was something foreigners yelled at metal concerts. Like, it's the only Finnish they know.

The Finnish Metal Expo in 3 weeks is gonna be AWESOME. Turmion Kätilöt, and a bunch of other crazy bands will be there.

I'll also be at Korpiklaani's concert in Helsinki drinkin' [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbcwOHvoZbA"]Vodka![/YOUTUBE]

Finland has some boring parts (like... people here are shy and quiet (See: ISTJ-ish) and blah most of the time) but add booze you've got yourself a PARTY. Then they sober up and you're bored again :meh:

Voiko tämä olla Suomenilopaikka? (Oliko tuo oikein? En tiedä mitä 'appreciation thread' on suomeksi.)

Finnish looks cooler/more impressive than it sounds, to be honest. There's something these Helsinki people do with it that ruins the magic of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I read the article at the bottom of the wiki page "The Finnish Line." Something interesting was said It's something that develops over time by direct exposure to sisu-producing situations.

I think that these sisu traits develop when life has dealt you a series of unfortunate events or unforunately born into a hard-knock life. You have no choice but to either weather on or crumple in defeat.
    Finland was controlled by Sweden and Russia, and now by the European Union. Of course Sisu would develop. It's how Finland kicked Russia's ass in the Winter War (Though, I think there was more to it than that. One friend of mine here says Russia sent green troops to Finland at the time.)

Also, most people just stayed away from Finland anyway from what I've read. The people who WERE here had to be stubborn, too bad it's made pop-culture in Finland pretty humorous (in a bad way). There isn't much ingenuity here except when it comes to metal music. Sweden, Finland, and Germany seem to be the top 3 metal-band exporters in the world. Could Finland's love of hard music (I saw a couple of 60+ year old women at a Stratovarius concert) be from the inner turmoil and frustration caused by Sisu?
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    Voiko tämä olla Suomenilopaikka? (Oliko tuo oikein? En tiedä mitä 'appreciation thread' on suomeksi.)
    I just realized that I don't know what word they use in Finnish for "thread"... Appreciation is "ylistys". I guess the best I can come up with for "thread" would be "keskustelu" but the combination of these two sounds ridiculous. Ylistyskeskustelu. There is something too official and old in that term.

I don't talk in any Finnish forums, so I'm totally out of touch with Finnish internet vocabulary...

(Though, I think there was more to it than that. One friend of mine here says Russia sent green troops to Finland at the time.)
    That is true. Also we got weapons and training from the nazis...

Oh, and by the way, the troops they sent here were from somewhere south. Like around the the Black Sea or something. They wouldn't have lasted the winter even if we didn't shoot at them.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I just realized that I don't know what word they use in Finnish for "thread"... Appreciation is "ylistys". I guess the best I can come up with for "thread" would be "keskustelu" but the combination of these two sounds ridiculous. Ylistyskeskustelu. There is something too official and old in that term.

I don't talk in any Finnish forums, so I'm totally out of touch with Finnish internet vocabulary...

That is true. Also we got weapons and training from the nazis...

Oh, and by the way, the troops they sent here were from somewhere south. Like around the the Black Sea or something. They wouldn't have lasted the winter even if we didn't shoot at them.
    If it was anything worse than this winter, I'll believe it! I'm glad I got here the year I did, everyone is saying the last handful of years have been crappy winters.

What sucks is that I'm in Vantaa, the armpit of the Greater Helsinki Region. Even Espoo is better because at least that place has rich people. ( and a joke is that Talin is 'Southern Espoo' and that Estonia is Finland's Disney World because that's where all the fun (and cheap booze) is ).

I also go to school in Korso, the Armpit of Vantaa. Now imagine an armpit of an armpit, plus 5 pubs within a kilometer of the lukio (highschool). Yeah, looks like I'm going to have to summon up my Sisu for this - or be a foreign wimp and bitch about it

Sisu seems to be a good trait for a common soldier, but not for much else.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

-Nightwish

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Yay for sisu! I'm half Finnish, so I know about this. (I also like the weird candies!) Not sure how much I have, though. I need to read this thread properly...
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    Yay for sisu! I'm half Finnish, so I know about this. (I also like the weird candies!) Not sure how much I have, though. I need to read this thread properly...
    Salmiakki? Ässä Mix? Sirkus Aakkoset? Pantteri Mix? Dumle?

Fazer is everywhere... I tell people that if Fazer and Sokos were the only companies that survived and everything else died, most people wouldn't notice.

Fazer sells candy, pianos, bread... And Sokos is Big Brother.

-Nightwish

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

If it was anything worse than this winter, I'll believe it! I'm glad I got here the year I did, everyone is saying the last handful of years have been crappy winters.
    I don't remember a colder winter than this one. Now it's minus ten degrees here and I feel like going outside in a T-shirt! It was so freaking cold until this.

I also go to school in Korso, the Armpit of Vantaa. Now imagine an armpit of an armpit, plus 5 pubs within a kilometer of the lukio (highschool). Yeah, looks like I'm going to have to summon up my Sisu for this - or be a foreign wimp and bitch about it
    Yep, Korso has a reputation. Good luck... Take it as a initiatory rite. If you survive this, there is nothing in Finland that can put you down.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I don't remember a colder winter than this one. Now it's minus ten degrees here and I feel like going outside in a T-shirt! It was so freaking cold until this.
    An Icelandic exchange student in Mikkeli was complaining of -25 in the DAY. I'm thankful it's warmer down south

Can we have a rolecall of the general area where people are? I'm thinking about getting a Finland get-together started (And no stubborn Finn will start one)

Yep, Korso has a reputation. Good luck... Take it as a initiatory rite. If you survive this, there is nothing in Finland that can put you down.
    Mooseflies might perturb me a bit.

-Nightwish