User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: SISU PERKELE!!!

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    thats the part of having sisu
    Well, I can say definatively that I don't have sisu, thank the Lord.

Edit: I rethought the whole frozen lake thing. I suppose a person could do it and become tougher so it would serve some purpose, but the other is just self-desturctive and I have a sneaking suspicion the two acts probably go together and then search and rescue is put at risk having to fish some drunk, sick, frozen yahoo out of the water who thinks he's got Sisu...

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post

Edit: I rethought the whole frozen lake thing. I suppose a person could do it and become tougher so it would serve some purpose, but the other is just self-desturctive and I have a sneaking suspicion the two acts probably go together and then search and rescue is put at risk having to fish some drunk, sick, frozen yahoo out of the water who thinks he's got Sisu...
    I don't think I have sisu either based on responses in the thread. Don't you agree?

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post

what self destructive about diving under a frozen lake?

its just cold water where its not that easy to get out of. you die on cold water unless your weak and if your weak you got no sisu
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

heart on fire

what self destructive about diving under a frozen lake?

its just cold water where its not that easy to get out of. you die on cold water unless your weak and if your weak you got no sisu
    So a chicken-necked, pencil thin geek with an asthma inhaler who dies on the rack, refusing to rat out his fellow patriots is a weakling loser and a devil-may-care redneck who drinks a bottle of vodika and jumps into a frozen lake is a hero?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

This is a SISU, made by Patria.

Suffice to say, I do not have one of those.
    I am familiar with the expression, though, living only 130 kilometers (just over an hour's drive) from the Finnish border in Northern Sweden.
    I think this "sisu" thing is both a blessing and a curse.
    It makes for social retardation and extreme hardiness.
    It's also really bad for society on the whole. Look at Finland's suicide rates, for example.
    People rather kill themselves than talk about feelings or problems. Literally.

Suffice to say, I do not have "sisu" and neither do I want anything to do with it.
    Dreadful.
    I must say I really like and respect Finland. By far our most pleasant neighbor.
    But the whole "take it like a man", "never show feelings", "never, ever complain even if things are killing you" thing has got to go.

It will, eventually. It's a horrible way of driving a whole people up the walls crazy without them saying crap about it.
    Just take it down a notch to "don't whine where it'll do damage", "show feelings but don't be slimy" etc.

When sisu is an expression solely meaning resilience, I will consider liking it.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Enneagram
    1w2

if you some guy two times your size wants to fight with you and you will fight with him even tho you could run away, you got sisu.
    if you go hiking and you feel like your dying half way the route and you got some easy way out and you keep on going to the end, you got sisu.
    if you would go to prison for 10 years for something you didnt do very very likely and you would get half the punishment if you would confess it and you wont confess because you fucking innocent, you got sisu.
    if you dive under a frozen lake just for the hell of it, you got sisu.
    if you drink 1litre of vodka from beer bong even tho you know you will puke so hard that no one seen before, you got sisu.
    That just sounds adolescent and foolish and if that's what sisu is then maybe I should rethink this.

I read the article at the bottom of the wiki page "The Finnish Line." Something interesting was said It's something that develops over time by direct exposure to sisu-producing situations.

I think that these sisu traits develop when life has dealt you a series of unfortunate events or unforunately born into a hard-knock life. You have no choice but to either weather on or crumple in defeat. Some people crumple and some people manage to live on. I think it's about 50/50. Out of my four aunts and uncles who are drug addicts, only one of them managed to clean themselves up and the others have died. Of course, people like to dwell on the success stories because it's uplifting and gives us the strength to carry on. But just as many people fall or deal with tragedy through substance abuse or other maladaptive behaviors.

So if foolishly exposing myself to things that that will destroy me and seeing if I can beat the odds is sisu then no I don't have it. I guess I see sisu as being a character trait roughly equivalent to grace under pressure.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I got to get me some of that sisu, fine sushi dining.

Is it similar to being obdurate, obstinate and obtuse?

Taste my sisu!

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Oh, how I hate the fact that Finns are proud for this supposed extra ingredient that makes us so tough... then we drive air-conditioned cars and don't know what hunger feels like. Only people in Finland who have sisu nowadays are the immigrants. I go to get a cheap kebab and it is served with a smile, unlike in any Finnish restaurants.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

No I'm not ISTJ, thank you from asking. This Sisu thing seems to have an element of tiring out the obstacles with sheer pig-headedness. A mountain will first get bored of standing in the way of an ISTJ, rather than the ISTJ getting tired of the mountain. Someone with Sisu doesn't seem like a very dynamic character. Ingredients of Sisu also seem to lack an element of cost-benefit-analysis. "We'll live in this miserable country, regardless of the climate, proximity to aggressors, regardless of prices, wages, taxes, happiness or the lack of it, UGH!"

A part of Sisu I have - I can do what I set my mind to, and I can sustain hardships, opposition and misery and still stay productive.

MBTI
    NICE

More Perkele than sisu.