User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by 6.4 View Post
    I feel you, I've been accused of being a psychopath too, standard reaction of being an intj. We should be thankful. To be honest though our determination may make us cause more suffering to the world than any psychopath, which is kinda funny I guess. At least we can take comfort that we won't cause as much damage to the world as a standard priest
    The world is not a primary or secondary concern for me. First comes my family. Second comes myself. Third come my associates/partners. Last is society.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Whatever man, but if you take care of society, it will take care of you and your family

I feel such an investment would give me very, very little gains. It wouldn't be a worthwhile venture, on my part.

Even beyond that, I am very apathetic toward society. Most terrible things that happen outside my circle don't really upset me. I don't feel sympathy for members of society.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Isn't the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath, nature vs. nurture. In other words:

Sociopaths have become what they are because of their experiences
    Psychopaths are born that way

That's how I always understood it. I may be wrong.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I can usually tell by a person's eyes if they're 'odd' or 'just a little too weird.'

In the Damn Interesting link, the picture had exactly the eyes I notice and avoid. They're too sharp inside, as if nothing is there to soften them. I can't trust anyone who has them for the same reason.

But I find psychological phenomena fascinating just because it's what adds different layers to society. If everyone was the same it would be boring.

I also agree with 6.4, though I don't like to think of how many psychopaths are in the higher government. We won't be able to get rid of all psychopaths with government help if there are enough there.

Another thing that is interesting, is that, while NTs or just Ts may be more distant from their emotions, they still can understand them. A psychopath just doesn't understand emotion and feeling.

It could be said that a psychopath could be 'more' human than the average human, but as a Christian, my belief is that humans need a consciousness in order to be the perfect tool in God's work. Psychopaths just cannot have the faith to be religious. They are coldly rational.

This whole thing makes it more natural for me to spot psychopaths now. Sephiroth from FFVII was one, even before he snapped. This guy could be one too.

Fascinating.

You're right

From the Damned interesting link: Psychopathy has an environmental component like nearly all aspects of personal psychology, but its source is rooted firmly in biology.
    'Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.' - Marilyn Monroe

This is who I am, escapist, paradise-seeker.
    -Nightwish

Anthropology Major out of Hamline University. St. Paul, Minnesota.

sociopathy seems to be inherent to the human condition. It wouldnt be here if there was not some evolutionary benefit. Thus you cant get rid of them.

I'd say the intjs are getting a poor rap. A real sociopath actually blends beautifully with society-something intjs cannot do mostly.

Sociopaths lack the emo hooks that link them into the social network-empathy or olbligation. Assuming these come in Fe or Fi varieties, I'd say its related to very odd development of those functions-maybe biological, but cultural/family influeneced as well.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post

Imagine the damage such a person could cause. Apparently 1% of the world's population are Psychopaths. Which means you probably know 1 or 2 of them.
    That means there are about as many psychopaths out there as there are INFJs. Help!

I was reading about this recently...apparently they do live among us. Along with narcissists and Machiavellians...they're all a bit different/different levels of lacking empathy and conscience.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Isn't the difference between a psychopath and a sociopath, nature vs. nurture. In other words:

Sociopaths have become what they are because of their experiences
    Psychopaths are born that way

No. Psychopaths lose touch with reality. Sociopaths do not.

Mental illness is nature.
    Personality disorder is nurture.

Riva

It could be said that a psychopath could be 'more' human than the average human, but as a Christian, my belief is that humans need a consciousness in order to be the perfect tool in God's work. Psychopaths just cannot have the faith to be religious. They are coldly rational.
    Agree. You need to know what is right and wrong to avoid doing the wrong and do what is right when you get a chance.

A question-

How would religion explain (any religion) the reason for psychopaths. The reason why I am saying 'for' is because according to religion all beings are God's creations. Why would God create a being that has no conscience?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Oedipa_Maas View Post
    Norman was a psychotic; His mother was the psychopath.
    Excellent!

I remember confusing the two a while back, a psychotic could be someone who has schizophrenia or an associated illness and could be characterised by chronic tiredness and lethargy even nothing any more threatening or scary than that.

Would you be able to tell? I think you'd have some incling, the problem is that psychopaths can be highly successful, rewarded and recognised in our society as it is today.

For instance the board room executives who downsize their workforce, resulting in unemployment and an increase in burnouts among the remainder of the workforce, need to have a bit of a slip of conscience and lack of empathy to do that, unless you're just in the grip of administrative cognitive dissonance (spelling) like Eichmann.

I've known at least one head wrecking and manipulative individual who I think would qualify for this label, I know about lots of lying, manipulation and controlling behaviour they were engaging in and suspect a lot more besides. All because it gave them a thrill, they'd talk about knowing someone else and use examples of them engaging in criminality despite not needing to for any fiscal reason but I think they were talking about themselves in the third person.