• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I suck, you suck...let's scare each other!

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
So at the same time I became interested in MBTI, I also discovered attachement theory. Very interesting in my view. Here is a pretty simple chart that explains it in a very basic form:

attachmentstyles.jpeg

So basically, how you percieve yourself and others influences how you attach to people (romantically, friendships, family). (e.g. Negative view of yourself + Negative view of others = fearful attachement). I really had to think about this, becuase there is how I like to belive I think of myself and others and then there is how I actually think of myself and others...So really think about it and be honest.

Here are some brief desc of each attachment style:

Secure attachment
Securely attached people tend to agree with the following statements: "It is relatively easy for me to become emotionally close to others. I am comfortable depending on others and having others depend on me. I don't worry about being alone or having others not accept me." This style of attachment usually results from a history of warm and responsive interactions with relationship partners. Securely attached people tend to have positive views of themselves and their partners. They also tend to have positive views of their relationships. Often they report greater satisfaction and adjustment in their relationships than people with other attachment styles. Securely attached people feel comfortable both with intimacy and with independence. Many seek to balance intimacy and independence in their relationships.

Insecure attachments

Preoccupied - Anxious attachment
People who are anxious or preoccupied with attachment tend to agree with the following statements: "I want to be completely emotionally intimate with others, but I often find that others are reluctant to get as close as I would like. I am uncomfortable being without close relationships, but I sometimes worry that others don't value me as much as I value them." People with this style of attachment seek high levels of intimacy, approval, and responsiveness from their partners. They sometimes value intimacy to such an extent that they become overly dependent on their partners—a condition colloquially termed clinginess. Compared to securely attached people, people who are anxious or preoccupied with attachment tend to have less positive views about themselves. They often doubt their worth as a partner and blame themselves for their partners' lack of responsiveness. People who are anxious or preoccupied with attachment may exhibit high levels of emotional expressiveness, worry, and impulsiveness in their relationships.

Dismissive-avoidant attachment
People with a dismissive style of avoidant attachment tend to agree with these statements: "I am comfortable without close emotional relationships. It is very important to me to feel independent and self-sufficient, and I prefer not to depend on others or have others depend on me." People with this attachment style desire a high level of independence. The desire for independence often appears as an attempt to avoid attachment altogether. They view themselves as self-sufficient and invulnerable to feelings associated with being closely attached to others. They often deny needing close relationships. Some may even view close relationships as relatively unimportant. Not surprisingly, they seek less intimacy with relationship partners, whom they often view less positively than they view themselves. Investigators commonly note the defensive character of this attachment style. People with a dismissive-avoidant attachment tend to suppress and hide their feelings, and they tend to deal with rejection by distancing themselves from the sources of rejection (i.e., their relationship partners).

Fearful-avoidant attachment
People with a fearful style of avoidant attachment tend to agree with the following statements: "I am somewhat uncomfortable getting close to others. I want emotionally close relationships, but I find it difficult to trust others completely, or to depend on them. I sometimes worry that I will be hurt if I allow myself to become too close to others." People with this attachment style have mixed feelings about close relationships. On the one hand, they desire to have emotionally close relationships. On the other hand, they tend to feel uncomfortable with emotional closeness. These mixed feelings are combined with negative views about themselves and their partners. They commonly view themselves as unworthy of responsiveness from their partners, and they don't trust the intentions of their partners. Similarly to the dismissive-avoidant attachment style, people with a fearful-avoidant attachment style seek less intimacy from partners and frequently suppress and hide their feelings.

So what's your style? What are your thoughts on this?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Dismissive.

Also kind of sounds like SPD, if taken to the extreme.

Although I wouldn't say I seek less intimacy from romantic partners, quite the contrary. I require no contact in terms of friendships and such but in a romantic relationship I have clear expectations, and can be pretty warm [why be in a romance otherwise?]. But I do notice the burying of feelings and distancing from rejection as things I've done in the past.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I am the poster child of "Secure Attachment." :cheese:

G

garbage

For me, Secure with a slight dash of Preoccupied. I used to have an extremely negative view of myself that put me somewhere between Preoccupied and Fearful, but I've never had the confidence for Dismissive. It comes from internalizing everything, I suppose.

As far as the model, the terms themselves (Secure, Preoccupied, ...) actually stand on their own to describe each entry, which is refreshing and not often the case.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm wondering how this works because I appear to have different types of attachments on that chart with different people. Do I have a higher view of myself with some people but a low view of myself with others?

Actually looking at this chart I can guess why I feel certain ways when I talk to certain people - I would say I have relationships that encompass 3/4 of that chart at different times.

These are friendships I'm talking about.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Attachment theory and object relations actually does intersect with personality theory -- the main interface I'm aware of is via the work of Karen Horney (with the moving toward, moving against, and moving away styles of relating, which are specifically reflected in current day Object theory) as incorporated by the Enneagram, where Riso/Hudson have made specific charts and tables assigning various types to these styles of engagement.

A lot of personality development, to me, seems to be about the resolution or avoidance of internal feelings of anxiety. (At least, that's the "pain" end of things; personality would also be about not just what doesn't create anxiety but what feels actively good, or "pleasure.")

I'm wondering how this works because I appear to have different types of attachments on that chart with different people. Do I have a higher view of myself with some people but a low view of myself with others?

This is one flaw with it -- we tend to have various "groups" in our lives and each group is assigned different privileges and expectations.

But in general there's usually some sort of underlying attitude beneath it all, which is what this chart is getting at, even if some groups of people have been screened and found trustworthy.

I also think it's difficult because someone might feel little anxiety vs another person with bad anxiety issues and yet they'd be lumped in the same basic category. This makes it hard to categorize people.

As far as I go, I'm a mix of dismissive-avoidant vs fearful-avoidant. Probably more fearful-avoidant, I think, nowadays; I seem fine on the surface but almost always experience some level of anxiety inside even with people I know well.

P

Phantonym

:thinking: Hm, yeah, mine seems to be the fearful-avoidant attachment style. With all kinds of relationships out there. Nothing more to add to this.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
My goal for friendships is "dismissing" - I dont seem to pull it off, but I think it's my ultimate goal for both people to feel that way. :O

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
:doh:

Why did it not occur to me that SOMEONE would say that??????

Haha, sorry. I'm an opportunist. And I prefer not to think too much about the "deep" stuff. Good luck with your topic, though, for real. :)

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
A lot of personality development, to me, seems to be about the resolution or avoidance of internal feelings of anxiety. (At least, that's the "pain" end of things; personality would also be about not just what doesn't create anxiety but what feels actively good, or "pleasure.")

This is one flaw with it -- we tend to have various "groups" in our lives and each group is assigned different privileges and expectations.

But in general there's usually some sort of underlying attitude beneath it all, which is what this chart is getting at, even if some groups of people have been screened and found trustworthy.

Yes, yes...totally agree with this. I would say that I am slightly fearful avoidant in the begininng (particularly when it comes to romantic relationships). This stems from me questioning if someone is really has good intentions coupled with a fear that I will not be able to properly handle the situation if I end up in a bad relationship. Getting involved with someone can be scary for me.

Logically, I know I have to get past the fear, so I white-knuckle through until I can fully trust someone, then I am good as gold as far as security goes, but those old feelings do creep in every once in a while and I have to talk through them.

This holds true for friends too, although it is not as pronounced. It's all about avoiding pain.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Getting involved with someone can be scary for me.

Logically, I know I have to get past the fear, so I white-knuckle through until I can fully trust someone, then I am good as gold as far as security goes, but those old feelings do creep in every once in a while and I have to talk through them.

SOLUTION: Just show up on your first date naked while holding a 12 gauge shotgun. That will get things set up right, and you won't have any worries, as it will be clear you are in charge. :newwink:

This holds true for friends too, although it is not as pronounced. It's all about avoiding pain.

Tis' better to give pain, rather than receive it. :cheese:
I avoid pain by surrounding myself with good and fun people, and by dismissing the presence of those around me that have a sharp stick in their arse. :coffee: You can't win by trying to avoid pain. You are not in control of ANYTHING except your own actions. Once you get involved with someone else as a friend or a lover, you have opened yourself to them, whether you like to admit it or not. Hiding in a turtle shell can turn even the nicest people into frustrated mean folk. Just be yourself, and accept that you might get scraped up a bit from time to time, but that it won't kill you, and you'll be smarter and wiser for it. :yes:

JoSunshine

That's my name biotch!
MBTI Type
eNfj
Enneagram
SOLUTION: Just show up on your first date naked while holding a 12 gauge shotgun. That will get things set up right, and you won't have any worries, as it will be clear you are in charge. :newwink:

Tis' better to give pain, rather than receive it. :cheese:
I avoid pain by surrounding myself with good and fun people, and by dismissing the presence of those around me that have a sharp stick in their arse. :coffee: You can't win by trying to avoid pain. You are not in control of ANYTHING except your own actions. Once you get involved with someone else as a friend or a lover, you have opened yourself to them, whether you like to admit it or not. Hiding in a turtle shell can turn even the nicest people into frustrated mean folk. Just be yourself, and accept that you might get scraped up a bit from time to time, but that it won't kill you, and you'll be smarter and wiser for it. :yes:

Halla, I never thought I would say this based on some of your previous posts...but that was a very sensitive response...I think I will open myself up to you :cheese:

I also totally agree with your assesment...100%! (Thinkers take cover becuase here I go) I can't help how I feel...becuase those feelings go way back, but I can control how I act on those feelings, so I just try to logically work through things and tell myself I am strong enough to handle the pain if things go bad...I'm getting better at it :) I guess I am still a work in progress.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Halla, I never thought I would say this based on some of your previous posts...but that was a very sensitive response...I think I will open myself up to you :cheese:

Yay! :yay: I'm always open for business. :happy:

With the right amount of Valium in my system I am actually quite likeable. :doh:

P.S. Some thinkers can be a bit blunt, but we do have hearts, we just don't wear them on our sleeves, or allow them to be seen via emotional actions. We're very even keeled, but not reptilian, if that makes any sense at all. :shock:

I also totally agree with your assesment...100%! (Thinkers take cover becuase here I go) I can't help how I feel...becuase those feelings go way back, but I can control how I act on those feelings, so I just try to logically work through things and tell myself I am strong enough to handle the pain if things go bad...I'm getting better at it :) I guess I am still a work in progress.

Wise words from Ms. JoSunshine. :yes: We are all work in progress, dear. Strong are you for facing that which you know is not easy for you. That is an act of strength, and is commendable. :2ar15:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a child I was Fearful Avoidant, now if I'm super honest I'm somewhere in between Secure and Preoccupied. Unfortunately I seem to be drawn, romantically, to those who are Dismissing -- which really just brings out my Preoccupied self. Not a good combo at all.

(several years ago I tried myself to do more of the Dismissing approach, but it just wasn't natural to me - deep down I didn't really feel that way)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dont know, still trying to figure out what closeness means. Can you define attachment? I need a dictionary with pictures and examples so I can understand the pretense of the word attachment and how it relates. What level of attachment are we talking about? Can I get a sliding scale included so I can rate my level of attachment along with each kind of attachment.

I struggle with all this N stuff. Do you have a song that I can listen to that contains each type?

I NEED SENSORY INPUT. Oh I think I have an attachment to my senses, not a very healthy attachment.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Preoccupied or Fearful. I'll be coming back to this :yes:

wolfy

awsm
I think I am a mix, a balanced mess. Maybe more a dismissive style from the insecure attachment styles.