User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Default Come to Your Senses

Unsure where this belongs so places this topic here. I found this article that talks about the idea of your 21 Senses and more quite intriguing.

Aristotle did some harm to the world of philosophy by proposing only five senses: vision, hearing, touch, taste, smell. How could he leave out balance?

Balance is a wonderful sense, ecstatic in its own way, with its own elaborate sensory structures in the inner ear, and its own pathways in the brain. Tilt your head to one side, and move it very slowly in some direction, and savor that sensation. Balance lets you walk with ease, and adds richness to every movement.
    Sensory Modality
    Vision
    - Light
    - Colour
    - Red
    - Green
    - Blue

Hearing

Smell
    - 2000 or more receptor types

Taste
    - Sweet
    - Salt
    - Sour
    - Bitter
    - Umami

Touch
    - Light Touch
    - Pressure

Pain
    - Cutaneous
    - Somatic
    - Visceral

Mechanoreception
    - Balance
    - Rotational acceleration
    - Linear acceleration
    - Proprioception - joint position
    - Kinaesthesis
    - Muscle stretch - Golgi tendon ogans
    - Muscle stretch - muscle spindles

Temperature
    - Heat
    - Cold

Interoceptors
    - Blood pressure
    - Arterial blood pressure
    - Central venious blood pressure
    - Head blood temperature
    - Blood oxygen content
    - Cerebrospinal Fluid pH
    - Plasma osmotic pressure (thirst?)
    - Artery-vein blood glucose difference (hunger?)
    - Lung inflation
    - Bladder stretch
    - Full stomach

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

I'm going to explore this idea and look up the ideas listed later.
    What are your thoughts? Do we have more than 21 senses unused or just 5 very well attuned senses?

I think Aristotle is a great thinker for a reason.

MBTI
    I

Colour, Sweet, Salt, and Blood oxygen content are not senses.

I trust my man Aristotle.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Really it comes down to semantics, but I consider there to be two senses: touch and taste. The other so-called senses, sight, smell and hearing, are not truly senses since they describe things that lie outside the body. Sight is the awareness of objects situated in space, hearing is the awareness of objects not situated in space, and smell is an awareness of the quality of either a specific object or the external world in general. (The difference between smell and qualities like ugliness is that words can only imply a smell, whereas ugliness is right from the start bound to language. Ugliness is an empty word, a void label that will take hold of anything it can reach and yet never touch it. Fragrance, on the other hand, is something that transcends words, or at least the ones we speak.)
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

I do think that Aristotle was spot on but I'm not surprised that someone has done this list, I would ask do you think its the work of a thinker or sensor? I'd say its a thinker

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Oh really, shucks and I thought I was onto a winner.

According to wiki

"A system that consists of a group of sensory cell types that responds to a specific physical phenomenon, and that corresponds to a particular group of regions within the brain where the signals are received and interpreted."

The traditional five senses are sight, hearing, touch, smell, taste as classified and attributed to Aristotle. Which is fair enough but it is limited. Like skeletal frame work that is missing some bones. Might have gotten the main attributes but neglected the finer detail.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Humans are considered to have at least five additional senses that include:

Balance, equilibrioception, or vestibular sense is the sense which allows an organism to sense body movement, direction, and acceleration, and to attain and maintain postural equilibrium and balance. The organ of equilibrioception is the vestibular labyrinthine system found in both of the inner ears. Technically this organ is responsible for two senses of angular momentum and linear acceleration (which also senses gravity), but they are known together as equilibrioception.

The vestibular nerve conducts information from the three semicircular canals corresponding to the three spatial planes, the utricle, and the saccule. The ampulla, or base, portion of the three semicircular canals each contain a structure called a crista. These bend in response to angular momentum or spinning. The saccule and utricle, also called the "otolith organs", sense linear acceleration and thus gravity. Otoliths are small crystals of calcium carbonate that provide the inertia needed to detect changes in acceleration or gravity.

Thermoception sense is the sense of heat and the absence of heat (cold) by the skin and including internal skin passages, or rather, the heat flux (the rate of heat flow) in these areas. There are specialized receptors for cold (declining temperature) and to heat. The cold receptors play an important part in the dogs sense of smell, telling wind direction, the heat receptors are sensitive to infrared radiation and can occur in specialized organs for instance in pit vipers. The thermoceptors in the skin are quite different from the homeostatic thermoceptors in the brain (hypothalamus) which provide feedback on internal body temperature.

Proprioception, the kinesthetic sense, provides the parietal cortex of the brain with information on the relative positions of the parts of the body. Neurologists test this sense by telling patients to close their eyes and touch the tip of a finger to their nose. Assuming proper proprioceptive function, at no time will the person lose awareness of where the hand actually is, even though it is not being detected by any of the other senses. Proprioception and touch are related in subtle ways, and their impairment results in surprising and deep deficits in perception and action. [8]
    [edit] Pain

Nociception (physiological pain) signals near-damage or damage to tissue. The three types of pain receptors are cutaneous (skin), somatic (joints and bones) and visceral (body organs). It was previously believed that pain was simply the overloading of pressure receptors, but research in the first half of the 20th century indicated that pain is a distinct phenomenon that intertwines with all of the other senses, including touch. Pain was once considered an entirely subjective experience, but recent studies show that pain is registered in the anterior cingulate gyrus of the brain.[9]

With possibly an additional weak magnetoception (direction)

And six more if interoceptive senses are also considered.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Oh Synesthesia is mix of senses. It isn't in our imagination since there is a thread about http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...nesthesia.html started by Penelope which is very interesting.

"Take the strange case of synaesthesia, a mixing of the senses. The most commonly reported forms are experiencing sounds, letters, numbers or words as colours. Synaesthesia is highly developed in some individuals, who were until quite recently dismissed as raving fantasists and sometimes even misdiagnosed as schizophrenic. They may speak of an aroma's texture or the taste of different letters of the alphabet. It may be possible to "hear" the taste of a peach or "feel" a colour. What this tells us is that the senses are less than primary, and that perception is what we really get."

MBTI
    ENTP

We have balance and acceleration sensors at our ears... whenever someone speaks of a "sixth sense" I think "Acceleration or some paranormal illusion?"
    Got questions? Ask an ENTP!
    I'm female. I just can't draw women