• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Common sense - what is it and who has it?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Meals that take longer than 30 minutes seem to require the same dedication as the birch twig form of relaxation. Personally I'll only be in the kitchen for more than 30 minutes if there's loud music on and no one else in the house.

My personal cheat with cooking (aside from frozen pizza ;) ) is casserole. For some reason it's the one thing I do well though I dislike cooking and so don't really exercise this talent more often than is absolutely necessary.

Oh and I'm glad you can laugh at it. I was actually quite worried you'd have my head for that joke.
Hey! I love loud music in the kitchen too! I'll even dance in the kitchen!:party2:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
What is common sense? What function best contributes towards it? Is it a combination of functions? Which type tends to have the most of it, and which tends to have the least?
Based on the denotation:
common sense
–sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.
From that standpoint, I would think that any type that seeks expertise, preferring knowledge to raw and native skills, being idealistic and prefering theory to real application would be excluded or limited in the use of common sense per the dictionary. What does that leave?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I understand common sense to be one of the primary potential strengths of Sensors. I can see this working with Si-Te or Ti-Se.

I would say that ISTJs and ISTPs are strong in common sense for technical and routine matters. ISFJs and ESFJs are especially strong in common sense with interpersonal matters.

those would be:
ISTJ Si-Te
ESTJ Te-Si
ISTP Ti-Se
ISFJ Si-Fe
ESFJ Fe-Si

ESFPs and ESTPs have a kind of common sense, but can be quite reckless as well. Si is an especially strong component of common sense imo, and sometimes Se if combines with Ti. I don't see Se dominants as being especially strong in common sense. As a secondary function after Ti, yes.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I understand common sense to be one of the primary potential strengths of Sensors. I can see this working with Si-Te or Ti-Se.

I would say that ISTJs and ISTPs are strong in common sense for technical and routine matters. ISFJs and ESFJs are especially strong in common sense with interpersonal matters.

those would be:
ISTJ Si-Te
ESTJ Te-Si
ISTP Ti-Se
ISFJ Si-Fe
ESFJ Fe-Si

ESFPs and ESTPs have a kind of common sense, but can be quite reckless as well. Si is an especially strong component of common sense imo, and sometimes Se if combines with Ti. I don't see Se dominants as being especially strong in common sense. As a secondary function after Ti, yes.
Great job.

I have 2 ISTJs in my life and 2 ISTPs.
They all think they have more common sense than I do, but I find the ISTPs to be more practical.
When I need the opinion of someone with common sense, I ask an ISTP.
I know I am going to get a practical, logical, efficient solution.

ygolo

My termites win
Based on the denotation:
common sense
–sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.
From that standpoint, I would think that any type that seeks expertise, preferring knowledge to raw and native skills, being idealistic and prefering theory to real application would be excluded or limited in the use of common sense per the dictionary. What does that leave?

I think this definition is the closest to what common sense refers to in my mind.

But seeking expertise does not mean that we become less practical. After all, it is plenty practical to hold a high-paying job (which often uses specialized knowledge). It is also immensely impractical (and idealistic) to think that everything should be accessible to a layperson.

I think common sense means, being able to come to correct conclusions based on nothing more than what is commonly available to everyone (or close to everyone).

No access to libraries that few people have, no access to people/experts that few others have. The reasoning does not depend on years of training or study either.

The way Richard Feynman explains physics relies heavily on common-sense. The way some professors I had relied heavily on specialized knowledge. Guess from whom I learned more physics.

I have tremendous respect for common sense.

This is, of-course, completely different form "conventional wisdom", which I hate.

To me, common sense comes from the ability observe both the facts of life, and patterns and implications they create.

I think common-sense actually comes from good-coordination of ones cognitive processes, not one particular process.

So, I think this goes well, with which types are likely to be the most well adjusted.

In many ways, F-types have more common-sense that T-types. When dealing with people in particular. So I can see how an INFP can have tremendously more common sense than an INTJ.

The types that I know that consistently have more common-sense than most are the ISTx's, particularly ISTPs.

Though some ISTPs I've known seem to lack common sense w/ regard to safe sex, and some ISTJs I've known have lacked common sense w/ regard to utilizing the talents of their creative underlings (How often does a person have to say I like doing X and hate doing Y, before being assigned to X instead of Y?).

Last edited:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
The ISTx types in my life deride and mock my INFP sister for being the most unrealistic and impractical and having the least common sense.

She does not have "common sense". She barely makes any sense at all.

ygolo

My termites win
The ISTx types in my life deride and mock my INFP sister for being the most unrealistic and impractical and having the least common sense.

Ouch, for your sister.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Common sense is extreme 360 degree vision S-ness.

I do not have it.

And when I do, I do not necessarily follow it.

Drives my ISTJ friend NUTS.

On the flip, I am very good at reading people (or so the NF says...shaddup) and I'll take that over common sense.

Common sense + no people sense = con artist dream.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP

INFPs should all move to France. It seems to be the western nation which least values common sense and most values imagination and subjectivity. A great exodus. The March of the INFPs. I can almost see the blood now.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Ouch, for your sister.
Well, they don't do it in front of her. And sometimes I stick up for her. It's like they have no concept of the value of intuition.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
INFPs should all move to France. It seems to be the western nation which least values common sense and most values imagination and subjectivity. A great exodus. The March of the INFPs. I can almost see the blood now.
That's funny. Our ancestry is French.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
What is common sense? What function best contributes towards it? Is it a combination of functions? Which type tends to have the most of it, and which tends to have the least?

Common sense is having a basic knowledge or assumption of certain things, to put it in a simple way.

I think Sensing and Thinking are key to common sense.

Most - ISTJ

Least - ... probably as you said, the INFP

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
Lol... common sense is well and good but I prefer hunches...they're more exci
ting.

Gauche

I understand common sense as a heavy-duty pragmatism, therefore usage of Ti (or vice-versa). Think ISTP.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Common sense is a stereotypical concept of which I am proud not to blindly partake in.

Chimerical

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w5

by definition everyone has common sense. It's something that's common. There's no type that would have more than any other type. It would be things like: you just saw someone run into the street and get hit by a car, so putting two and two together you reason that it's not safe to run out into the street. Common reasoning ability gives you common sense.

Or you're aware that hot things will burn you from past experiences. So you know that spilling a hot cup of coffee on your lap is not a good idea.

These things are common because nearly all people learn about them through trial and error. If you're playing streetfighter and you don't instintively block attacks it wouldn't mean you lack common sense. Unless of course you play streetfighter very often.

Common sense is the ability to know a sound set of actions based on the current situation that's common to all people [meaning more than 50% of people seem to experience this]. If the event is reoccurant, or displays things that create a simply puzzle that can easily be solved through human reasoning it's common to know the answer. Like the scenerio with the hot coffee.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I noticed that ISTJ's love to use this term, "common sense" a lot. And they have it. My close friend likes to call some people "no common-sensors." It was lovingly adopted in our circle to describe some people with poor judgment in our opinions.

And its pretty much how everyone has described it. Tried and true practical reasoning that has been agreed upon by the general population, (or, I guess ANY small population could adopt their own idea of common sense.)

Very associated with S.
People who stay within the comfort of the box with their thinking.
I think it this can be good in a lot of situations. (Many people could do with a little bit more of it!!)
although its not a good way of thinking if you're trying to change something- when change is necissary.