User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    GONE

Common sense is extreme 360 degree vision S-ness.

I do not have it.

And when I do, I do not necessarily follow it.

Drives my ISTJ friend NUTS.

On the flip, I am very good at reading people (or so the NF says...shaddup) and I'll take that over common sense.

Common sense + no people sense = con artist dream.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    The ISTx types in my life deride and mock my INFP sister for being the most unrealistic and impractical and having the least common sense.

She does not have "common sense". She barely makes any sense at all.
    INFPs should all move to France. It seems to be the western nation which least values common sense and most values imagination and subjectivity. A great exodus. The March of the INFPs. I can almost see the blood now.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Ouch, for your sister.
    Well, they don't do it in front of her. And sometimes I stick up for her. It's like they have no concept of the value of intuition.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    INFPs should all move to France. It seems to be the western nation which least values common sense and most values imagination and subjectivity. A great exodus. The March of the INFPs. I can almost see the blood now.
    That's funny. Our ancestry is French.

MBTI
    I

What is common sense? What function best contributes towards it? Is it a combination of functions? Which type tends to have the most of it, and which tends to have the least?
    Common sense is having a basic knowledge or assumption of certain things, to put it in a simple way.

I think Sensing and Thinking are key to common sense.

Most - ISTJ

Least - ... probably as you said, the INFP

MBTI
    XNTJ

Lol... common sense is well and good but I prefer hunches...they're more exci
    ting.

I understand common sense as a heavy-duty pragmatism, therefore usage of Ti (or vice-versa). Think ISTP.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Common sense is a stereotypical concept of which I am proud not to blindly partake in.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w5
    Socionics
    INFx

What is common sense? What function best contributes towards it? Is it a combination of functions? Which type tends to have the most of it, and which tends to have the least?
    by definition everyone has common sense. It's something that's common. There's no type that would have more than any other type. It would be things like: you just saw someone run into the street and get hit by a car, so putting two and two together you reason that it's not safe to run out into the street. Common reasoning ability gives you common sense.

Or you're aware that hot things will burn you from past experiences. So you know that spilling a hot cup of coffee on your lap is not a good idea.

These things are common because nearly all people learn about them through trial and error. If you're playing streetfighter and you don't instintively block attacks it wouldn't mean you lack common sense. Unless of course you play streetfighter very often.

Common sense is the ability to know a sound set of actions based on the current situation that's common to all people [meaning more than 50% of people seem to experience this]. If the event is reoccurant, or displays things that create a simply puzzle that can easily be solved through human reasoning it's common to know the answer. Like the scenerio with the hot coffee.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I noticed that ISTJ's love to use this term, "common sense" a lot. And they have it. My close friend likes to call some people "no common-sensors." It was lovingly adopted in our circle to describe some people with poor judgment in our opinions.

And its pretty much how everyone has described it. Tried and true practical reasoning that has been agreed upon by the general population, (or, I guess ANY small population could adopt their own idea of common sense.)

Very associated with S.
    People who stay within the comfort of the box with their thinking.
    I think it this can be good in a lot of situations. (Many people could do with a little bit more of it!!)
    although its not a good way of thinking if you're trying to change something- when change is necissary.