User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Meals that take longer than 30 minutes seem to require the same dedication as the birch twig form of relaxation. Personally I'll only be in the kitchen for more than 30 minutes if there's loud music on and no one else in the house.

My personal cheat with cooking (aside from frozen pizza ) is casserole. For some reason it's the one thing I do well though I dislike cooking and so don't really exercise this talent more often than is absolutely necessary.

Oh and I'm glad you can laugh at it. I was actually quite worried you'd have my head for that joke.
    Hey! I love loud music in the kitchen too! I'll even dance in the kitchen!

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    What is common sense? What function best contributes towards it? Is it a combination of functions? Which type tends to have the most of it, and which tends to have the least?
    Based on the denotation:
    common sense
    –sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.
    From that standpoint, I would think that any type that seeks expertise, preferring knowledge to raw and native skills, being idealistic and prefering theory to real application would be excluded or limited in the use of common sense per the dictionary. What does that leave?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    ... What does that leave?
    The highly superior ISTP!

MBTI
    TiSe

LOL, I would say ESPs.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I understand common sense to be one of the primary potential strengths of Sensors. I can see this working with Si-Te or Ti-Se.

I would say that ISTJs and ISTPs are strong in common sense for technical and routine matters. ISFJs and ESFJs are especially strong in common sense with interpersonal matters.

those would be:
    ISTJ Si-Te
    ESTJ Te-Si
    ISTP Ti-Se
    ISFJ Si-Fe
    ESFJ Fe-Si

ESFPs and ESTPs have a kind of common sense, but can be quite reckless as well. Si is an especially strong component of common sense imo, and sometimes Se if combines with Ti. I don't see Se dominants as being especially strong in common sense. As a secondary function after Ti, yes.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INTJ

LOL, I would say ESPs.
    Hmmm. I still say ISTP.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I understand common sense to be one of the primary potential strengths of Sensors. I can see this working with Si-Te or Ti-Se.

I would say that ISTJs and ISTPs are strong in common sense for technical and routine matters. ISFJs and ESFJs are especially strong in common sense with interpersonal matters.

those would be:
    ISTJ Si-Te
    ESTJ Te-Si
    ISTP Ti-Se
    ISFJ Si-Fe
    ESFJ Fe-Si

ESFPs and ESTPs have a kind of common sense, but can be quite reckless as well. Si is an especially strong component of common sense imo, and sometimes Se if combines with Ti. I don't see Se dominants as being especially strong in common sense. As a secondary function after Ti, yes.
    Great job.

I have 2 ISTJs in my life and 2 ISTPs.
    They all think they have more common sense than I do, but I find the ISTPs to be more practical.
    When I need the opinion of someone with common sense, I ask an ISTP.
    I know I am going to get a practical, logical, efficient solution.

Based on the denotation:
    common sense
    –sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.
    From that standpoint, I would think that any type that seeks expertise, preferring knowledge to raw and native skills, being idealistic and prefering theory to real application would be excluded or limited in the use of common sense per the dictionary. What does that leave?
    I think this definition is the closest to what common sense refers to in my mind.

But seeking expertise does not mean that we become less practical. After all, it is plenty practical to hold a high-paying job (which often uses specialized knowledge). It is also immensely impractical (and idealistic) to think that everything should be accessible to a layperson.

I think common sense means, being able to come to correct conclusions based on nothing more than what is commonly available to everyone (or close to everyone).

No access to libraries that few people have, no access to people/experts that few others have. The reasoning does not depend on years of training or study either.

The way Richard Feynman explains physics relies heavily on common-sense. The way some professors I had relied heavily on specialized knowledge. Guess from whom I learned more physics.

I have tremendous respect for common sense.

This is, of-course, completely different form "conventional wisdom", which I hate.

To me, common sense comes from the ability observe both the facts of life, and patterns and implications they create.

I think common-sense actually comes from good-coordination of ones cognitive processes, not one particular process.

So, I think this goes well, with which types are likely to be the most well adjusted.

In many ways, F-types have more common-sense that T-types. When dealing with people in particular. So I can see how an INFP can have tremendously more common sense than an INTJ.

The types that I know that consistently have more common-sense than most are the ISTx's, particularly ISTPs.

Though some ISTPs I've known seem to lack common sense w/ regard to safe sex, and some ISTJs I've known have lacked common sense w/ regard to utilizing the talents of their creative underlings (How often does a person have to say I like doing X and hate doing Y, before being assigned to X instead of Y?).
    Last edited by ygolo; 11-30-2007 at 06:33 PM. Reason: I am typing this from bed. It was incoherrent to me, even.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

The ISTx types in my life deride and mock my INFP sister for being the most unrealistic and impractical and having the least common sense.

She does not have "common sense". She barely makes any sense at all.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    The ISTx types in my life deride and mock my INFP sister for being the most unrealistic and impractical and having the least common sense.

She does not have "common sense". She barely makes any sense at all.
    Ouch, for your sister.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield