First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Common sense is a swearword! Something to be looked down on! The word makes me feel sick ...
    I don't even think it exists.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Santtu's dictionary

Entry: Common sense
    -commonly considered as practical, sensible, common, real, usual and obvious.

Common sense can be gathered by observing what appears to senses (Se), experimenting, and thinking about it (Ti).

It can also be gathered by agreeing to commonly held opinions in a group (Fe) and recalling past experiences (Si).

Moreover, it can be gathered by influencing something concrete (S) and noticing how one's decisions work out in the real world and how they affect what is commonly thought about (Te).

Understanding everyone's personal feelings and value judgements (Fi) is also part of the common sense.

Ne can find many connections, some of which are practical - but I don't see Ni connected with "common sense" at all.

Common Sense Scoring chart: Se 5, Si & Te 4, Ti & Fe 3, Fi 2, Ne 1, Ni 0 points.

Person's common sense score = 3* score of first function + 2* that of second + 1* that of third function.

Compiling all, here's my corrected common sense ranking list! (had IP switched with IJ and vice versa).
    ESTP
    ESFP
    ISTJ
    ESTJ
    ISFJ
    ISTP
    ESFJ
    ENTJ
    ISFP
    INTP
    ENFJ
    INFP
    ENTP
    ENFP
    INTJ
    INFJ
    But who are you to trust (such a low-ranking) ENTP on this matter?

Edit: I feel compelled to comment on ESFP's high ranking on my list. I could call that type "The Popularist" .. their common sense circling around their title.
    Last edited by UnitOfPopulation; 11-21-2007 at 08:08 PM.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Compiling all, here's my common sense ranking list!
    ESTP
    ESFP
    ISTP
    ESTJ
    ISFP
    ISTJ
    ESFJ
    ENTJ
    ISFJ
    INTJ
    ENFJ
    INFJ
    ENTP
    ENFP
    INTP
    INFP
    Somewhat surprising, but not implausible. I would accept that. I'm mostly surprised that INTJs rank so lowly. ESFPs are kicking their asses there. Maybe Te should receive higher weighting? The bottom 3 are not at all surprising to me, and suggest that your list has probably got it right.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Somewhat surprising, but not implausible. I would accept that. I'm mostly surprised that INTJs rank so lowly. ESFPs are kicking their asses there. Maybe Te should receive higher weighting? The bottom 3 are not at all surprising to me, and suggest that your list has probably got it right.
    My listing had IP switched with IJ and vice versa. Ooops.. moreover, I should have given more thought to the mathematical function that combines all the scores from the Jungian functions. Hm.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah. My father is an ESTP and doesn't know which end of a hammer to use.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Santtu's dictionary

Entry: Common sense
    -commonly considered as practical, sensible, common, real, usual and obvious.

Common sense can be gathered by observing what appears to senses (Se), experimenting, and thinking about it (Ti).

It can also be gathered by agreeing to commonly held opinions in a group (Fe) and recalling past experiences (Si).

Moreover, it can be gathered by influencing something concrete (S) and noticing how one's decisions work out in the real world and how they affect what is commonly thought about (Te).

Understanding everyone's personal feelings and value judgements (Fi) is also part of the common sense.

Ne can find many connections, some of which are practical - but I don't see Ni connected with "common sense" at all.

Edit: I feel compelled to comment on ESFP's high ranking on my list. I could call that type "The Popularist" .. their common sense circling around their title.
    Really? An ESFP with common-sense? I have an ESFP friend who rarely displays any sort of understanding of common-sense.

As for my personal views on common-sense: I am not very good at using it, as my mother often points out, although I still acknowledge the need for common sense in my life.

I tend to form my definition of common sense through introspection and reflection, through the opinions of others (my Mum), through stupid things that I have done in the past (such as answer a question incorrectly for fun ) and even guessing what'll happen if I don't try to apply common sense to a certain situation. However, since my ability to use common sense properly is somewhat limited, I tend to make the same mistake several times before finally getting the message, if you know what I mean.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    P's are dependent upon what? P's are more likely to separate themselves from the group structure which makes them more autonomous. J's are more likely to work together for the common good, while P's are more likely to simply act on their own.
    Just let's stop this silly match. Independence is not type related, not all ENTJs want to be leaders, and Js don't have more willpower than Ps.

But they're that much more vulnerable and dependent on the ones they are part of. Often, they just don't have the will-power and self-determination to decide that something is bad for them, and to act on that.
    They may be better at assessing risk than you and thus decide that they don't care, for example. Or they may feel that, given their subjective preferences, following action X is not bad for them.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Commenting on lack of common sense on some types on my chart.. what some of those types have instead, is uncommon sense, understanding and capability through unusual means.

It was not a capability or coping ability chart.

How do they not fullfill the criteria of common sense in my book?

They may..
    -arrive at conclusions through independent means
    -challenge popular opinion
    -be generally disagreeable
    -desire to be correct rather than accepted, even at the cost of losing popular support for their idea
    -be of investigating type
    -not participate in groupthink
    -seek long-term solutions rather than quick fixes´
    -be practical in a less obvious way, rather than more obvious
    -work against the system, rather than going along with it
    -let theoretical or ethical values stop them
    -not accept society's values or norms at face value

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Commenting on lack of common sense on some types on my chart.. what some of those types have instead, is uncommon sense, understanding and capability through unusual means.

It was not a capability or coping ability chart.

How do they not fullfill the criteria of common sense in my book?

They may..
    -arrive at conclusions through independent means
    -challenge popular opinion
    -be generally disagreeable
    -desire to be correct rather than accepted, even at the cost of losing popular support for their idea
    -be of investigating type
    -not participate in groupthink
    -seek long-term solutions rather than quick fixes´
    -be practical in a less obvious way, rather than more obvious
    -work against the system, rather than going along with it
    -let theoretical or ethical values stop them
    -not accept society's values or norms at face value
    Yes! This is why I don't have much common sense. I want to do most of the things on this list... although I've pretended to do some of them occasionally because I didn't want to make people angry.

That doesn't mean I ACTUALLY accepted (internally) the things they told me, though...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Since my posting system refuses to work properly , I would have to say that the first, second, fifth, sixth, ninth and tenth reasons for a lack of common sense in Santtu's last post definitely apply to me, although I get into trouble when trying to implement the ninth. The third and seventh reasons don't apply to me. The fourth reason does apply to a certain extent, although acceptance is somewhat important to me. The eighth could also apply. I'm not sure about the eleventh - what could a societial norm be defined as? There are obviously some societial norms (such as 'murder is a serious crime') which you'd obviously accept straight off. Also, what do you mean by 'at face value'?
    MBTI: INFJ (I: 100% N:58% F: 58% J: 84%)
    Socionics: INFJ
    Enneagram: 4w5 sp/so/sx